Ham Radio while camping - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Ham Radio while camping

I recently got interested in ham radio and got a license and radio, and it seems like there should be some good things I can do to combine ham radio and camping/ traveling. I have thought about having a mobile 2 meter rig for general and emergency communications, and have also heard about 40 meter nets for hams who also RV. If you are also a ham, how do you use amateur radio while camping?
Old 07-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I recently got interested in ham radio and got a license and radio, and it seems like there should be some good things I can do to combine ham radio and camping/ traveling. I have thought about having a mobile 2 meter rig for general and emergency communications, and have also heard about 40 meter nets for hams who also RV. If you are also a ham, how do you use amateur radio while camping?
I returned this spring from a 3 month stay (as campground host) in Big Bend NP, where I operated out of my '21, mostly on 20 and 40 meters. I didn't check into any RV nets but did contact 3 other hams who decided to pay a visit after our conversations. It was an enjoyable hobby while staying stationary for a relatively long period. 2 meter mobile might be a better choice if visiting multiple locations. My biggest problem was setting up my 43 foot wire antenna - wasn't allowed to use a tree in the National Park. Next year, knowing what I know now, I will bring a 30 foot telescoping fiberglass pole to make life easier.

For "emergency" communications I would recommend a small, 3 element, 2 meter antenna. The standard "rubber ducky" or quarter wave car antenna will radiate a weak signal in all directions, while the station you really want to contact might require a stronger directional signal. You can hold a 3 element antenna in one hand while pointing it at the station of interest for a much more reliable contact.

Hope that helps as a starting point.

--
Alan
KE5JL
alanmalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I returned this spring from a 3 month stay (as campground host) in Big Bend NP, where I operated out of my '21, mostly on 20 and 40 meters. I didn't check into any RV nets but did contact 3 other hams who decided to pay a visit after our conversations. It was an enjoyable hobby while staying stationary for a relatively long period. 2 meter mobile might be a better choice if visiting multiple locations. My biggest problem was setting up my 43 foot wire antenna - wasn't allowed to use a tree in the National Park. Next year, knowing what I know now, I will bring a 30 foot telescoping fiberglass pole to make life easier.

For "emergency" communications I would recommend a small, 3 element, 2 meter antenna. The standard "rubber ducky" or quarter wave car antenna will radiate a weak signal in all directions, while the station you really want to contact might require a stronger directional signal. You can hold a 3 element antenna in one hand while pointing it at the station of interest for a much more reliable contact.

Hope that helps as a starting point.

--
Alan
KE5JL
Hi: alanmalk... "I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Although I obtained a basic operator's certificate and call sign many years ago, I didn't operate a station. My intent was to assist with automotive competition events, but I ended up not pursuing that aspect of the sport.

The point is that various types of events depend on amatuer radio operators in situations where other methods are impractical, due to range or lack of other networks. You might be able to participate in interesting events from an unusual viewpoint, by assisting them.

Another obvious role for amatuer operators is in search and rescue, and as a camper you're likely to be remote areas where searches may be needed as people get in trouble. Although search and rescue is coordinated by government agencies, volunteers play important roles.

I suppose a challenge for both event coordination and search and rescue activities is that they are usually arranged through local radio clubs, so it could be difficult for a traveller to connect with them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
I do not get my 21' until Sept. 1. However intend to operate once I get set up. I intend to operate on both vhf and hf. I will try Winlink which allows you to send and receive emails via ham radio.
Tom
VE7ZTW
Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Next year, knowing what I know now, I will bring a 30 foot telescoping fiberglass pole to make life easier.
At the Orlando Hamcation last February lots of RVs had those fiberglass vertical ham antennas. We were parked on a fairgrounds that also had overhead power lines. One day I heard a "BOOM!" loud enough to shake my trailer. One of the fiberglass verticals had fallen over and hit a power line. Fortunately no one was hurt, but a $4000 radio was cooked. You'd think these guys would know better.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:08 PM   #7

Trailer: April 2016 Escape 19
Send a message via Skype™ to redtaco99
Ham Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post

I have a VHF radio in the truck that has APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System)built-in. So back in May when I drove from Ottawa to Chilliwack to retrieve my new Escape 19, the APRS allowed friends and family to track me on Google Maps APRS web site throughout most of my 40 day adventure to and from Chilliwack.

By the time field day came around on June 25th, I found myself at Pukaskwa National Park near Marathon Ontario on Superiors north shore. I put up a 43 foot wire antenna and set up my Elecraft KX3 radio on the dinette. Im using a 12 meter fibre glass pole so part of the antenna had to also be supported on a near by tree (I hope I didn't break any park rules).

Then, hearing distant thunder in the air, and static crashes on the radio, I decided it would be prudent to dismantle the antenna and ride out the coming storm. Im glad I did because the electrical storm lasted at least 4 hours with one lightning strike within 100 metres of me which caused me to jump out of my skin. I found out later that this storm system also caused severe flooding in both Thunder Bay and Kenora Ontario earlier that Saturday.

On Sunday afternoon I put the antenna back up but field day had ended and bands were pretty quiet. I did check into the Trans-provincial net here in Ontario.

The fibre glass pole I use is from "Spiderbeam" which have various lengths of poles for sale. I bought a hitch mounted flag pole holder on Amazon and I built a home brew 9:1 unbalanced to unbalanced transformer (called an Unun). With the built-in tuner in the KX3 it loads up great on most bands. I recently learned that a 52 foot wire would be optimum for such a setup so Ill be modifying this antenna by adding another 10 feet to it.

Thats my experience so far...more to come...

redtaco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: alanmalk... "I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
This was no "ten foot" pole. This is a real-man size pole.

--
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
10 foot pole s.jpg  
Old 07-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... as a camper you're likely to be remote areas where searches may be needed as people get in trouble.

... it could be difficult for a traveller to connect with them. <hams and ham clubs>
Agreed - important points. Just like a cell phone that can't be relied on to work in an emergency, a ham can not count on reaching a specific station when needed. However, with experience and correct equipment a ham *can* count on reaching *someone*, anytime, from anywhere (license limitations are suspended for emergencies).

But as a practical matter, those new "Spot" transmitters are far more useful in emergencies than a ham station. Personally, I would never bring my ham gear camping "for emergencies"; only for fun in my spare time. Its camping, after all.

--
Alan
KE5JL
Old 07-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
...But as a practical matter, those new "Spot" transmitters are far more useful in emergencies than a ham station...
I have owned and used a SPOT transmitter for back-country paddling, hiking, and cycling trips for about 7 yrs now. I personally know of two incidents involving back-country emergencies (rock climbing and skiing) where the SPOT transmitter has been invaluable in obtaining rapid assistance in a medical emergency. The technology has also improved remarkably since I purchased my device, with newer systems allowing users to send and receive text messages in addition to sending out an emergency beacon. As an emergency assistance device, I agree that a SPOT will be much more valuable than a ham radio.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Just like a cell phone that can't be relied on to work in an emergency, a ham can not count on reaching a specific station when needed. However, with experience and correct equipment a ham *can* count on reaching *someone*, anytime, from anywhere (license limitations are suspended for emergencies).

But as a practical matter, those new "Spot" transmitters are far more useful in emergencies than a ham station. Personally, I would never bring my ham gear camping "for emergencies"; only for fun in my spare time. Its camping, after all.
True. I was thinking of the ham gear as useful for the camper to help as a volunteer with search and rescue operations for other people, not as emergency communications for the camper.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtaco99 View Post
I have a VHF radio in the truck that has APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System)built-in. So back in May when I drove from Ottawa to Chilliwack to retrieve my new Escape 19, the APRS allowed friends and family to track me on Google Maps APRS web site throughout most of my 40 day adventure to and from Chilliwack.

By the time field day came around on June 25th, I found myself at Pukaskwa National Park near Marathon Ontario on Superiors north shore. I put up a 43 foot wire antenna and set up my Elecraft KX3 radio on the dinette. Im using a 12 meter fibre glass pole so part of the antenna had to also be supported on a near by tree (I hope I didn't break any park rules).
Thanks for your comments. I hadn't thought about APRS but I just might try it on the next trip. I have a HT with APRS and a magmount antenna. I suspect it will be hard to get tracked in the National Parks, though.

I haven't ventured into HF yet. I am just getting going in 2m/440, but HF is in my future. I'll look for an antenna that can be put up without depending on trees or grounding wires, maybe something like a Buddipole.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtaco99 View Post
I also have an HT with APRS built-in. When I lived in Maryland I would mount the radio on my bicycle and leave it on while I rode the bike trail around BWI airport. My friends would see the APRS tracking website then ask me how a bicycle could move so slowly without tipping over. Grrr....
Old 07-19-2016, 06:12 AM   #14

Trailer: 17
bdornbush, since you are licensed you can use aprsdroid android app on your phone. It will get you on the APRS map if your 5 watt HT can't in national parks, that is, if you can get a cell phone signal. No radio is required....but it's not as fun as your HT. I'm sure you've heard of quartzfest amateur radio gathering in quartzsite already. Take care.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #15

Will I cook my King Jack antenna if it's next to a ham antenna?

Okay, Escape hams-- I have a question for you. I recently bought a King Jack TV antenna for my Escape, but by the time it arrived today I had decided to use it as a home TV antenna instead, and buy a second one for the trailer if I like it. My plan is to mount the King Jack on an antenna mast that is topped off by a ham radio J-pole antenna for use with two-meters / 440 MHz.

It just crossed my mind that this might not be a good idea. My ham transceiver transmits at 100W of power. Am I going to cook the King Jack antenna and/or my TV when I transmit? The King Jack is an amplified antenna, so it has circuitry in it. Is 100 watts enough to cause problems? What do you think?

I intend to use a similar setup on my trailer's antenna mast, so this is relevant to the forum.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 17
Yes, I agree I would also think you could damage your other antenna. But depending on how much it cost you, you can decide if it is worth the experiment. You might luck out and be fine. It's hard to tell if the RF would come down your tv line or not. Hopefully someone smarter will chime in here.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:32 PM   #17

Trailer: April 2016 Escape 19
Send a message via Skype™ to redtaco99
I would put as much vertical separation as possible between the two antennas to minimize interaction. Also, the fact that one antenna is vertically polarized and the other is horizontal will provide some isolation too. Take a look at the chart on this web site for an idea on isolation you could expect: Isolation between the repeater receiver and RF sources

This will help ensure you don't fry the electronics in the TV antenna, but you may still experience some overloading issues that may affect TV reception. It will depend on the robustness of the electronics in the TV antenna.

If the ham antenna has mismatch issues whereby some of the signal is reflected back on the outside of the coax shield, that can cause you problems as well. To mitigate, google "vhf choke for 2 meter antenna" for advice on how to make a choke.
redtaco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #18

I suppose the question is:
How well does the Jack antenna's amplifier input filter out the 2-metre amateur band? It sits just under the lowest UHF channels (channel 14 starts at 470 MHz), and well above the highest VHF channels.

You might be able to find a filter specifically to remove the 2-metre band and other bands below it from OTA TV antenna signals.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:13 AM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Could try calling tech support at King too.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:13 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Would both be in use at the same time? If one unit is off then is there an issue?