Handy facts and tips - please help! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #1

Handy facts and tips - please help!

I am going to start a list of handy facts, hard-learned lessons, and tips regarding our Escape trailers. It will consist of various hardware-related tidbits (like which fuses are required...I don't know yet myself), various fastener sizes and types, electrical facts and other minutiae.

What I need from you:

If you good folks will dig through your files and help me comb this, or other forums for handy stuff, I will format it and provide .pdfs for all of us to use.

You can send me info via PMs or post on this thread.

Here's an example of a bit of a thread I ripped off from the original poster:

"<snip>Tammy informs me that socket required is 13 /16 " and you can jack anywhere on the frame. In the shop she says they usually jack just forward of the wheel."

baglo

Once I gather enough stuff I will let you all see what I've got and we can add edits/corrections/and suggestions.

Dave
(delivery date for our new 5.0 is now Sunday 26 September...as long as the driver doesn't run into another series of blizzards)
Old 09-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #2

Re: Handy facts and tips - please help!

Great idea!! If you like we can put it up as "sticky", that way it's higher up on the page. Probably post it under the documents sub topic

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Back in 2006 I started a project that was very similar. In fact, I&#39;ve got dozens of ideas archived. What I would encourage you to do, is to give credit to the individual that originally posted the info. AND, if it&#39;s "borrowed" from a website (like CasitaClub, FiberglassRV, etc.) that you also credit that source. Maybe I&#39;m just being sensitive after taking a course in copyright info and fair use. I&#39;d hate like the dickens if Jeff got in the grease because these "rules" are not followed. After all, just because it&#39;s posted in a "public" forum doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s fair game to "borrow."

On edit: this is the info from CasitaForum:
"NOTICE: The photos and information on this website are for the enjoyment of our members and guests and are not to be copied and posted on other websites without the consent of the webmaster. The photos are the property of CasitaForum.com" as found here: http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...ion=boardrules

and from CasitaClub: "You agree, through use of this service, that anything posted, whether text or image, becomes the property of Anderson Outdoors for permanent use on the forums or website with full use to its members" as found here: http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/ind...act=boardrules.

And FiberglassRV:
"Procedure for Notifying the Company of Copyright Infringement

Those who believe that their copyrighted work has been infringed or are aware of other infringing material, should contact our Copyright Agent at the address listed below and provide us with the following information:
An electronic or physical signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyrighted work that has allegedly been infringed.
Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed.
Information describing where the allegedly infringing material is located on the Websites.
Your address, telephone number, and email address.
A written statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
A statement by you that the above information in your notification is accurate and that, under penalty of perjury, you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner&#39;s behalf.
The foregoing information may be emailed to support [at] socialknowledge.com or mailed to our Copyright Agent at the following address:
Copyright Agent - Social Knowledge, LLC
3523 McKinney Ave #419
Dallas, Tx 75204-1401

Following receipt of the information listed above, we will remove or disable access to the infringing material and take reasonable steps to notify the member responsible for posting said material. The posting of infringing copyrighted material may result in the termination of member privileges of said responsible member." As found here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...twork&page=tos

I&#39;m not trying to put a damper on your idea Dave. Just want everyone to be "safe."

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #4

Donna;
Thank you for your post and the concern demonstrated by it.

Over the years I have gathered literally hundreds of RV tips and tricks from various sources, and I couldn't identify those sources on a bet. I have no intent on selling that information, but will gladly share it with anyone who is interested. For example, I must have five different examples of pre- and post-trip checklists from various sources, the gist of which I have combined into the checklist I use. Unless the concept of "pull the chocks before you drive away" is copyrighted, I think I'm in the clear to publish my version of the list.

If someone sees something in the (proposed) list which they feel is proprietary information, I will gladly remove it. I don't see it happening as, for instance, the proprietary techniques Reace uses to join the upper and lower halves of our trailers are beyond the scope of a "handy tips" list for campers. I would however, publish a list of the sizes of the various wrench sizes needed to keep the trailers tight or the fuses needed as replacement parts.

If Reace and Tammy, Jeff, or the forum members are concerned with this project, I'll happily shelve it, or take it "off-line." I leave it in your hands.

Dave

p.s.: Please don't think I am upset by your post, Donna. I take it in the spirit with which it was offered.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Dave,

Your idea and your offer to do the work involved gets my approval, umpteen times.

As far as copyright goes, I'm not a lawyer, but if you amalgamate posts and information ( what do you think Google does? ) about RV and simply post a one-sentence disclaimer - " it's not my fault " you don't have to give credit to anybody. You probably don't have to even post the disclaimer.

And, if Wikipedia is any example, where anybody can enter information, write a bio for instance and have others revise it and rewrite history according to their view, I can't see any issues.

It's always polite to give credit for ideas, but, how do you determine who was the originator?

I expect that material on FGRV and other RV sites came from somewhere or maybe was original ( not likely ).

We all get ideas from one another and sharing those ideas is what matters.

baglo

baglo

Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I use lists for packing all the time. I have one for canoeing, hiking, Escaping, hunting and fishing, travel to sunny destinations, camera gear, etc.

Other things like procedures done annually are a good idea too, especially for those folks not familiar with the various processes.

There are also some lists out there on setting up and tearing down your trailer that are just WAY to particular. Most of these things really should be common sense, and not something relied on in a list. I saw one that included various scenarios as well. I mean, do you really need to put on a list stuff like locking the trailer door or taking the trash to the bin?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #7

For instance, item # 27 on the "Pre-Departure" section might be, "Ensure wife is in the car with seatbelt fastened."

Dave
Old 09-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
For instance, item # 27 on the "Pre-Departure" section might be, "Ensure wife is in the car with seatbelt fastened."

Dave
Is there a #27B option, "Ensure wife is chained to the picnic table, and rapidly depart site" ?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
Donna;
Thank you for your post and the concern demonstrated by it.

Dave

p.s.: Please don't think I am upset by your post, Donna. I take it in the spirit with which it was offered.
No problemo. As I said, I'm a bit sensitive to the issue right now. Just remember, the Devil is in the details!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #10

If someone posts something that requires us to take it down, guess what we take it down, but until then we go for it..

As for chaining significant others to picnic tables and making a run for it..well then gun it!

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZ
As for chaining significant others to picnic tables and making a run for it..well then gun it!
Thank you for your support in this Jeff, Lisa will appreciate it.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
Site Team

Inexpensive Blue Tote

hummm, I seemed to have put a damper on this idea, and that was NOT my intent... truly. To make up for that error, let me add this PDF. I do have permission from George. AND, I know this is a great thing to make, I have one and use it about every other trip out when I don&#39;t care to wait at a dump station. I just come on home and dump liquids from the tanks down the home toilet. SOME of the items needed may have changed numbers... but you get the idea.

BTW: Magnificient Modifications and Fabulous Fixes for Molded Fiberglass has been trademarked by me for the book I was intending to produce and I still may get around to it!

For those that cruise the CasitaForum, here is a link to a improvement which allows you to use your regular sewer hose, rather than needing to make another. http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...ndpost&p=32452
Attached Files
File Type: pdf InexpensiveBlueTote.pdf (166.4 KB, 103 views)
Old 09-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #13

Donna, can you save and paste that PDF here. You need to be registered on the Casita site to view it.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #14
Site Team

Posted by Triton (this is the important stuff)... I suppose I should change my original PDF :

On the mod the way it was you have to make a new hose because you end up with the same end on the blue jug as the end of your drain hose. I only wanted to carry one hose, so I made this change.

At Wal-Mart bought the blue jug $7.48 and epoxy for plastic $3.77.
At Camping world bought Drip cap set $4.49 (Valterra part# T0203)and Hose adapter $3.49 (Camping World #6380)

Total cost: $19.23 (4 items)

The drip cap set gives you a cap that as the 2 barbs that will fit on to the ears of the fitting you epoxy to the blue jug.

Jim, you saw where I posted the original PDF in my post, right?
Old 10-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
Jim, you saw where I posted the original PDF in my post, right?
No, but I do now.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #16

Donna;
You didn't dampen my spirits a bit. Several members have contacted me with resources, etc. In addition, I've engaged in a fairly lengthy discussion regarding copyright issues with another member. Based upon those discussions, I have no qualms about proceeding, as the information I am gathering is less directed to specific mods and fixes, and more directed to common knowledge and openly published information. I just want a list of useful information available to our Escape members and myself.

Work proceeds.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Here are my suggestions for finding & fixing a trailer that trips a home or campground GFCI receptacle:

Although some may doubt it, the bottom line is that it should be possible to plug your trailer into a GFCI protected receptacle without tripping it. If it trips, something is wrong, and it should be corrected. I know there are those that will give all kinds of reasons why it is OK, but it isn't.

If the fault is between a hot & the ground, it is fairly easy to find. Shut off all your secondary breakers, plug the trailer into a GFCI receptacle & turn on the circuit breakers one at a time. If one of the breakers causes a trip of the GFCI, you have found the circuit causing the problem. Typical faults include moisture in a receptacle, a bad hot water or refer element, a bad appliance, or a loose connection (although a loose connection that causes a low resistance hot/ground fault should trip the breaker rather than the GFCI). If the problem circuit has individual appliances plugged into it, unplug all of them & plug them back in one at a time to identify the problem appliance.

If the campground GFCI trips with all the breakers off, you have a neutral/ground fault.

A neutral/ground fault is a bit more of a problem because shutting of the breakers won't prevent the GFCI from tripping, making it more difficult to find the problem. If your or anyone else has modified circuits in the RV, it is worth checking that the neutral & ground have not been intentionally combined anywhere in the RV. The only place the neutral should be tied to the ground is at the campground's service entrance. If you tie it in the trailer, the campground (or home) GFCI will trip.

Ground/neutral faults can also happen unintentionally. Again, a failed hot water heater or refer element can cause a fault as well as water in a receptacle, a screw hitting a wire, etc. The problem is a trailer will function normally with a neutral/ground fault when plugged into a non-GFCI receptacle. This may be why some feel there is nothing wrong. In a worst case situation, if the RV ground pin (or any part of the grounding system, RV or campground) fails, a neutral/ground fault will place the chassis & most metal in the RV at the neutral potential. This produces a shock hazard to any real ground such as the campground water pipe, the RV parked next to you, etc. It also causes another interesting problem - The neutral current is split between the neutral & the ground. Again, with a failed RV ground, you might receive a shock disconnecting your water line from the campground faucet! In the case of two faults - a reversed hot & neutral and a missing ground, most of the metal in your trailer would be at full line potential (120V).

Finding a ground/neutral fault involves digging into your breaker panel. If you are not comfortable doing this, leave it for an electrician. If you want to do it yourself, unplug the trailer, make sure an inverter or generator is not powering the panel, and shut off all the breakers, including the main. Disconnect the neutrals (white wires) one at a time (don't include the main). With a neutral disconnected and all the breakers off, plug the trailer into a GFCI receptacle. If it trips, the problem is not that neutral. Reconnect it, & try another. Eventually,you will find the neutral that, when disconnected, prevents the GFCI from tripping. Follow that neutral to identify the circuit, and check the circuit for the problem.

Again, all of this may be more than a non-electrician wants to get into, but I don't know a better way to find the problem.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #18

Thank you. With your permission (and I will attribute the text to you) I will include your fix in our little guide book.

Dave
Old 10-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #19

Regarding using other peoples' ideas, the test for copyright violation (unless they've changed it recently) is "slavish copying." What this means is that the idea(s) expressed in the copyrighted material are not protected; it is the manner of expressing the idea that is protected. That is to say, you do not violate someone's copyright if you repeat in your own words the idea(s) presented in that copyrighted material.
PaulA. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #20

Thanks Paul;
That was what I took away from a bit of reading on copyright law (thanks to all for the references and opinions). I'm chugging away at some initial stuff, but the progress has slowed a bit as this is my busy season at work and my fingers are flying away at work-related materials. While I am, of course, slavish devoted to high-fashion, I refrain from plagiarism.

Dave