Hanging wet stuff to dry - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #1

Trailer: E 21 2018
Hanging wet stuff to dry

Ok, this may sound like a dumb question from a newbie. Where have you hung up wet and dirty stuff to dry off? In the bathroom - outside under the awning? Example - you've gone for a hike and your rain jacket, etc is wet and your pants/boots are muddy. We're just planning ahead. Thanks, everyone.
sehoyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehoyles View Post
Ok, this may sound like a dumb question from a newbie. Where have you hung up wet and dirty stuff to dry off? In the bathroom - outside under the awning? Example - you've gone for a hike and your rain jacket, etc is wet and your pants/boots are muddy. We're just planning ahead. Thanks, everyone.

Most things we hang stuff outside to dry, but sometimes if it is wet and we are traveling or it is raining, we need a place inside. Occasionally something will just be tossed in the front box. But primarily we use either the bathroom or a bar I added the width of truck under the cap. I can hang clothes hangers over it or just sling a towel over it. Having multiple spots allows for a lot of flexibility depending on how dirty something is.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
if its raining, the relative humidity is typically 100%, so stuff outside simply won't dry off

inside, I am not even sure where we should hang our towels to dry after a shower, heh.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I got a tension rod to run across the upper part of the bathroom. I can either hang stuff directly on it or a clothes hanger that hangs down in a circle and has clips on the end. A friend gave it to me and got it from Camping World I think. It's kind of a pain to use, so I only used it once. And then even more of a pain when you have to move it all to use the toilet.

If it's small stuff that's wet, but not dripping (like kitchen towels or wash cloths) I just run them through one of the cabinet handles. Depending on the cabinet, I'll either leave it closed or open it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I couldn't find one online but you could build a drying rack that attaches to the 2" receiver at the back of the trailer. Good to be drying stuff outside in the summer. In the fall/winter we suspend an adjustable curtain rod in the toilet as others have done. Just push stuff back to use the john, move to shower.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Sort of like Laura, we use one of the screw adjust closet rods above the toilet. I attached a set of closet rod hangers with 2 sided tape (use the good stuff), and hang the rod when we need it. We also use a couple of the suction cup hangers from Lee Valley on the outside of the trailer, easy on and off so we only put them out when needed.

Then there's always the awning arms.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehoyles View Post
I bought stick-on hooks as well as hooks that have suction cups on them (IKEA); installed several in the bathroom as well as on wall behind fridge, in banquette area, in sleeping area. Also have an over the door double hook that we hang over the bathroom door. We use all of these for towels, bathing suits, face clothes. If weather is fair we use an "octopus" hanger that we bought at IKEA and hang it either on bike rack on the back or along the arm of the awning. We have a 19'.
MNEWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We got a hook bar with 5 hooks that fits perfectly over the top of the bathroom door. We put it over the bathroom door with the hooks on the outside of the bathroom. We hang our towels on it and other wet stuff if needed. We also have two over-the-door hooks in the bathroom and we hang our really wet stuff like washcloths.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 17a - now sold
We try to get things as dry as possible outside - i often clothes-peg smaller items to the support arms of the front rock guard (when it is extended) drape things over the spare tire cover - for some reason it is often quite warm, being a dark colour, and surprisingly, I will lay things over the headrest of our seats in the truck and they are often dry by morning. The humidity in the trailer can rise a fair amount overnight, even with vents and windows open, just by our respiration. I like to keep track of relative humidity with a hygrometer.
Kind of like a science experiment!
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Like the others, we hang things outside if the weather is nice (and the campground allows it ... ). I'm planning on getting a fold-up (Gullwing) rack to use outside and, now that we have a slightly larger bathroom in the 21', some type of a rod I can use to hang wet clothes in the bathroom during winter months.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Your number one goal is to keep the humidity in the trailer as low as possible. In cooler weather, condensation starts to form on the walls,especially down by the bed. Hang outside whenever possible. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #12

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
We bought a couple different stainless steel items off of Amazon that have helped us. The swivel towel bar we installed on the bathroom wall over the bed: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The bars fold flat against the wall for at night and we can hang our towels up to dry or other damp clothing as needed. (We had the bathroom interior wall reinforced.)
We also bought a type of swivel hook that we installed on the outside of the upper kitchen cabinet in the doorway: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It could serve for wet coats, but what we are using it for this summer is for keys and the kitchen towel. I also have Command hooks here and there.

Nancy
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
A rope tied from one tree to another.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post

Against the rules in some parks now ( even Provincial Parks, I think ).
Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Against the rules in some parks now ( even Provincial Parks, I think ).
Never been asked to take it down.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Neither have I.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #17

Trailer: E 21 2018
Thanks everyone

Great ideas from everyone - we tented for many years, so old standbys still work.... lol. Thanks. Good to know about the moisture and humidity considerations within the trailer. We'll have to pay attention to that in a broader sense as well.
sehoyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:48 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I too use a clothesline outside for towels etc in dry weather, often one end anchored to my awning... but in wet weather with 100% RH, nothing outside will dry, even if its under an awning...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 T12RBST
I don't like to add to the humidity inside the trailer. If we are at a campground, I use the dryer in the laundry room. If we will be breaking camp an travelling, I put a large towel over the plastic boxes in the back of the SUV and then lay the wet things on it. Running the heater and/or A/C as we travel does a nice drying job.
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
I think it helps to use microfiber (pack towels - REI and many other retailers) bath towels, washcloths, etc. You can wring them pretty much dry, hang them in the bathroom with an open ceiling vent and window and they will usually dry in time for the next days shower. After a few days of continuous cold rain, moisture management becomes a challenge. We sometimes give up and toss everything wet in a trash bag and throw it in the back of the truck to deal with when we get home. We also pack extra clothes. Leaving anything wet in the camper just creates too much humidity/moisture.
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote