Have you got the extra insulation but NOT the thermal windows? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Have you got the extra insulation but NOT the thermal windows?

In discussing our future 19 today, Tammy told us that before they offered the thermal window upgrade on the Escapes, they used to offer an upgrade of just adding the extra insulation. She said that that option is still available to us -- add just the extra insulation.

We have had trouble in our house with thermal windows losing their seal with age, and then they get moisture and dirt between the panes. Has anybody had this problem in their Escape? Tammy said the thermal windows have been out for two years and doing well.

Now for our bigger question, directed at anybody who has an Escape with just the extra insulation, but not the thermal windows. Are you experiencing condensation inside your camper? If so, is it on the windows or is it on the extra-insulated areas, or both? Or maybe there is condensation on the windows that runs down onto the vinyl surface of the insulation? Do you think having just the extra insulation makes for a more comfortable camper? Do you think ordering just the extra insulation is a good idea or not?

--Liz
Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Re: Have you got the extra insulation but NOT the thermal windows?

Hi Liz

We have both options extra insulation and sealed units (double pane windows) on our Escape
and have camped in below freezing conditions (-10 C) with very little condensation on the windows.
That said we always have the Maxx Fan open to vent moist air.

The sealed units are good quality and made with a produce called Super Spacer, the same product
that residential and commercial units are made with and should last a long time. The units in your
house normally last up to 35 years if they were made and installed correctly, I have changed them out as old as 45.

I think both are great options if you camp in hot or cold climates and well worth the money.

Hope this helps
Doug
Old 08-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

What Doug said.
Yes, dual glazing can lose a seal, but it is extremely rare these days, and usually is a manufacturing defect and not an issue with the type of unit. There were many more issues from 30-40 years ago with the windows still in existence. Buy the dual glazed for your trailer, it will help in both the heat and the cold. The windows are by far the weak spot for thermal bridging. I think I would opt for the windows before the added insulation.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
What Doug said.
Yes, dual glazing can lose a seal, but it is extremely rare these days, and usually is a manufacturing defect and not an issue with the type of unit. There were many more issues from 30-40 years ago with the windows still in existence. Buy the dual glazed for your trailer, it will help in both the heat and the cold. The windows are by far the weak spot for thermal bridging. I think I would opt for the windows before the added insulation.
Ditto! In the long run, neither are prohibitively expensive, and will pay back in comfort for many years.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Thanks so much to you all for your responses. Very helpful.

--Liz
Old 08-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I really dislike single pane windows when camping during the colder seasons. Breathing and running a heater causes a lot of condensation on the windows... what a PITA. If for no other reason than that, I desire the double-panes!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #7

It was a good choice in our trailer to have the full insulation and thermal windows. We also run the Max fan at night on low and higher during showers and after for a while.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #8

We decided on the extra insulation so late in the process that we could not get the double-glazed windows. Yes, we experience condensation, and yes, it is a PITA. I'm glad we have the insulation, but wish we had been able to get the windows.

Dave
Old 08-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA

I got insulation and double glazing except for the two upper windows. They were the only two that fogged up.
Dick
Old 08-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: rvomaha... We have neither option. I don't think they were avail. when our 5.0 was built. As for the PITA syndrome we carry a synthetic chamois in a zip-loc baggie as a quicker picker-upper. Works wonders on the excess moisture.
I also try not to breathe too hard!!! : Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote