having a 7-pin connector installed - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I guess your avatar details threw me off....
Old 05-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 19'
Oh dear! I will update right away. I never thought of the avatar.
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Any UHaul place should be able to install......
There are two very different types of U-Haul places. Some locations are company stores which rent trailers and trucks, but also have a hitch installation shop; while any of those might be able to handle an installation, individual locations vary. The other type is a rental franchise which has trailers (usually not trucks), and typically has no shop and no one with any expertise (in anything).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 02:03 PM   #24

Trailer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
When I dealt on the Highlander I specified what I wanted. P-3 controller, #10 wire to the trailer run through the interior. Disconnect like Jon described, circuit breaker on the #10 wire, 7 pin and 4 pin on the left side of the receiver, etc. my salesman said he didn’t think they could do that. I stood up. He quickly called the service manager. Yes they could do that and he had prices for each. We made the deal. They had a difficult time doing it the way I wanted but they got it perfectly correct. I tipped the technician who would not give up and got it right. Three seasons later it still works well. Otherwise I would go to an automotive electronics shop who understands Toyotas. There are people out there who understand how to do this. Commercial Heavy trailer repair and sales places are usually a lot more proficient than an RV dealer with a yokel who has poked himself in the butt with the wire probe he carries in his back pocket. I’m a strong Toyota proponent but their “Trailer tow package “ is very weak, lacking plug and play brake controller , the 7 pin, circuit breakers etc. But they like to sell vehicles so remember, they work for you, not the other way around.
YMMV
Iowa Dave
"#10 wire to the trailer run through the interior"

Newbie here. Why would one want the wire run through the interior? I thought it was installed from back underneath the vehicle and then to under the dash?
Meari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 03:29 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I use my Highlander for several things besides towing the 21. It makes occasional trips though picked cornfields, tall grass in my wetland area at the farm and even does a few low water creek crossings each season. I try to avoid having anything hanging down under the vehicle including wiring so my wiring comes off the battery , through the firewall, into the interior , under the carpet and exits near the 7 pin/ four pin hookup alongside the hitch. I ran my 2012 Highlander wiring that way too. Has worked out well for us.
YMMV
Iowa Dave