Having intermittent electrical issues? Check for improperly installed fuses - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Having intermittent electrical issues? Check for improperly installed fuses

Today I walked into our escape trailer - which we have had for a couple of months (delivered early fall) - to find that out that the batteries were completely drained despite our trailer being connected to shore power. We inspected our system and found a fuse that had apparently been improperly installed at the factory (see photos).

From what we can tell, this 40amp fuse was improperly installed such that one of the two blades was bent at 90 degrees instead of being inserted into the panel. Over time, the fuse apparently overheated/melted on the side with the bent prong. Definitely disconcerting.

Also, upon reflection, we think that this improperly installed fuse has been the cause of a significant number of frustrating intermittent issues in the trailer since we received it. So, putting a post up in case anyone else is experiencing similar issues!

Happy trails!
Attached Thumbnails
67F4A53A-CDE6-4CE6-8EE1-33E607DF6C60.jpeg   A79BDFEC-16B3-4EE8-BE44-EA1165297204.jpg  
mel_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
The only small 40A fuses I am aware of in any Escape are the two reverse polarity protection fuses in the WFCO 8955 power center. These would typically be provided installed by WFCO to Escape so I wonder if this was really an issue with WFCO. Is this where this fuse came from?
Attached Thumbnails
F5C1A25C-A878-4A49-86AD-25883E603C11.jpg  
Old 12-13-2020, 09:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
I'm no electrician but I would think that if the bent spade was not in the slot then it would have been an open circuit and what ever was on that circuit would not have worked at all?
Actually looking at the picture of the WFCO that Rubicon posted maybe it could have been making an intermittent connection? What an odd thing to have happen.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If I recall correctly the two fuses on the converter are in parallel, so an intermittent connection of only one of them shouldn't cause any issues, and complete loss of continuity through just one wouldn't stop the converter from powering the DC circuits and charging the battery.

On the other hand, if it's not on the converter output, I don't know where it could be to stop the converter from charging the battery.

If this fuse is one of the converter output fuses that Dave identified, is the other one also improperly inserted or entirely missing?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If this 40 amp fuse was at the battery connection, it has happened in more than one Escape 21. My 2017 21 came with a 40 amp fuse rather than the expected 60 amp at the battery.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If this 40 amp fuse was at the battery connection, it has happened in more than one Escape 21. My 2017 21 came with a 40 amp fuse rather than the expected 60 amp at the battery.
Jon: Doesn't that location by the battery contain a bigger Maxi fuse though? I could be wrong but based on the picture from the OP it looks like a smaller ATC/ATO fuse typical of the load center.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Jon: Doesn't that location by the battery contain a bigger Maxi fuse though? I could be wrong but based on the picture from the OP it looks like a smaller ATC/ATO fuse typical of the load center.
Hard to tell from the photo. The fuse in the in line holder at the battery in my 21 is the larger size. Don't know the size designation, and the trailer is hibernating so I can't look it up...
Old 12-14-2020, 01:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Hard to tell from the photo. The fuse in the in line holder at the battery in my 21 is the larger size. Don't know the size designation, and the trailer is hibernating so I can't look it up...
The fuse at the battery is a MAXI fuse. Max fuse size - 80 amps.

https://www.littelfuse.com/products/...uses/maxi.aspx

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-HHX-...7973236&sr=8-9

The fuse at the WFCO DC panel is a Regular (APR / ATC / ATO / ATS) blade-type fuse, also known as standard blade fuse. Max fuse size - 40 amps.

https://m.littelfuse.com/~/media/aut..._datasheet.pdf
Old 12-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If it's the fuse at the battery on the wire which goes (via the storage/use switch) to the power centre, then it's failure would prevent the converter from charging the battery... but it would also stop anything from discharging the battery, so it wouldn't readily explain the battery running down.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

Thanks for taking the time to post this situation.

It is something that I think Escape should be aware of.

Please send the photos and note in an email titled “Attention Paul & Dave” at:

PartsandService@escapetrailer.com

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #11

Yes --- got an email back from the folks at Eascape and it appears that it probably was an issue when the panel (with the fuses pre-installed) came in from WFCO. Sounds like they're going to keep an eye out on future builds to try to make sure that it doesn't happen to others.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:42 PM   #12

Definitely! I sent them an email too --- wanted them to be aware so they could keep an eye out for this on future builds + it's something to check if others come back with intermittent issues. They responded very quickly to thank us for the info.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel_tx View Post
Definitely! I sent them an email too --- wanted them to be aware so they could keep an eye out for this on future builds + it's something to check if others come back with intermittent issues. They responded very quickly to thank us for the info.
Thanks for letting Escape know. It could be a one off thing or indicative of a larger problem...now they know to take a closer look when they get a shipment of converters.

[On a side note I personally wish Escape would consider the Progressive Dynamics PD4060KV (or -LIK for lithium batteries) “Mighty Mini” power center which looks a little nicer and is made in the USA. This is the one Oliver uses.]
https://www.progressivedyn.com/pd4000-series/
Old 12-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Upper reverse polarity fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The only small 40A fuses I am aware of in any Escape are the two reverse polarity protection fuses in the WFCO 8955 power center. These would typically be provided installed by WFCO to Escape so I wonder if this was really an issue with WFCO. Is this where this fuse came from?
The improperly installed, burnt 40A ATC fuse was in the upper of the two "reverse polarity" fuse holders you circled - next to where the converter's + DC wire connects to the Vcc terminal on the panel. See Figure 5, 6, or 7 in the WF-8900 series manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If this fuse is one of the converter output fuses that Dave identified, is the other one also improperly inserted or entirely missing?
The lower 40A ATC fuse appeared to be properly installed in the "reverse polarity" fuse position next to where the battery wire connects to the "POS+" terminal in the panel.

Upon replacing the fuse, all seems to be working properly.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I had an intermittent light circuit in my E-21. I opened the panel box and the first fuse I touched made the lights flicker. I just tightened up the fuse holder connector in the panel with needle nose pliers to fix the issue. I had never had any reason to touch the fuse so I guess it was loose from the factory/mfg.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote