Heating In Tow - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2021, 06:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Heating In Tow

This will be my first winter with our E19. Just wondering what everyone does with heating when you have a day of travel in freezing temps. Do you just let the furnace run on low setting? Thanks for any help.
Bladesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:06 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not heat the trailer while towing since particularly if it is winterized.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I do not heat the trailer while towing since particularly if it is winterized.

Mine isn't winterized. I will be staying in it for the next 4 months.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #4

Towing will help in keeping most liquids from freezing due to the movement but I'm not sure how it impacts the the operation of the furnace at highway speeds.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:01 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesong View Post
This will be my first winter with our E19. Just wondering what everyone does with heating when you have a day of travel in freezing temps. Do you just let the furnace run on low setting? Thanks for any help.
I left the furnace switch in the on position once and didn’t notice it when I broke camp. During the day the temperature fell and the furnace kicked in. When I set up camp that afternoon I opened the door to find the trailer warm and comfortable. So all I can say is that it works, although I have not done it again intentionally or not.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
A couple of winters ago we left Lanesboro, MN at 0 F. We travel with the furnace set to 45 degrees.

Still deciding on a new mattress. I wonder how long a memory foam mattress takes to warm when you arrive late at night with your camper at 45 degrees, but heating to 60 F for the evening?

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I seem to remember Reace suggesting towing with furnace on under some circumstances.

I didn't search for a post but saw it on here.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I seem to remember Reace suggesting towing with furnace on under some circumstances.

I didn't search for a post but saw it on here.
I can't see a downside except probable high consumption of propane if trailer is not airtight.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:13 AM   #9

Well there goes my saying of never having to refill the tanks on any of my Escapes before selling......
Old 12-06-2021, 11:18 AM   #10
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladesong View Post
Out of curiosity, your question prompted me to check our furnace owners manual.

Turns out, our Dometic DF Series Furnace 'Operating Instructions' has nothing in writing that prohibits use while driving. In fact, it suggests the opposite on page 3:

"BEFORE refueling or parking near a gasoline pump, make sure ALL liquid propane (LP) gas appliances (vented to the outside of the RV) are shut OFF. Otherwise, fumes from gasoline pumps could come into contact with an LP gas appliance burner flame and ignite."

So personally, I would treat it the same as the refrigerator on propane, turn off at gas stations, ferries and avoid tunnels. My 2 cents. Hope you stay warm and safe on those winter roads! - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #11
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

Still deciding on a new mattress. I wonder how long a memory foam mattress takes to warm when you arrive late at night with your camper at 45 degrees, but heating to 60 F for the evening?

Enjoy,

Perry
If you don't have shore power for an electric blanket, I bet that memory foam will heat up a little quicker with one of these https://www.amazon.com/BICAREE-Shoul...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

I pour hot tap water into one of these and as long as my feet are warm when I climb in, the rest warms up nicely. I made bear covers for my kids when they were small. My Dad said his mother would warm up big stones by the fireplace and put them in his bed at night. ...As long as you don't collect them like Lucy did in 'The Long Long Trailer'. -Bea
Old 12-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #12

These little adages reminds me of my mother telling me how she would take 2 hard boiled eggs in her pockets to keep her hands warm on the way to school and then eat the eggs for lunch....
Old 12-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #13
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
These little adages reminds me of my mother telling me how she would take 2 hard boiled eggs in her pockets to keep her hands warm on the way to school and then eat the eggs for lunch....
Your mother's necessity begat a clever invention! -Bea
Old 12-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Hot water bottles are cheap and work great. Before I got wood stoves for my canvas wall tents, we used hot water bottles. Just fill throw in your bed about 20 minutes before stays warm all night.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
My Dad said his mother would warm up big stones by the fireplace and put them in his bed at night. ...As long as you don't collect them like Lucy did in 'The Long Long Trailer'.
Funny story...my dad was preparing for a trip with his Scamp towed by an old, tired Chevy Blazer. We told him he was overloaded and would be straining the engine which just had the top end rebuilt. Well no surprise he broke down on I-80 in PA. I left work and drove 2 hours to go retrieve the trailer while AAA dealt with the truck. When I got there I found huge rocks in the passenger side footwell he was going to use to build his own fire pit. Probably a couple hundred pounds of rocks. I was so mad I hurled some of them over the guardrail and down a huge embankment.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
On more than one occasion we've left the heater on while travelling. It sure is nice to step into a warm trailer when it's cold out. But I would turn it off before refuelling.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:43 AM   #17

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Regarding heat, we've found that we can stop for a quick overnight in a rest area, 20 degrees while heading south, turn the heat on, and within 15 minutes the camper is comfortable. We leave it winterized until we are far south. No heat while in transit. Works good for us.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:07 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I never used big stones for warming up my sleeping bag so can’t comment. I had something better. I do have a few boxes of nice river stones with location IDs sharpied on the “bottom.” There’s a little Lucy in a lot of us.

In younger days when I attended evening campfire get togethers with “shared food” I’d stop a a store on the way and buy a couple big cans of Campbells pork and beans. I would open the cans with my GI opener. The labels were peeled off and burned. I would get a couple smooth stones about the size of a chicken egg from the riverbank and put them in the fire. They would get very hot. Once hot, I used two sticks to fish them out of the coals and carefully dropped one in each can of beans. The rock would sink to the bottom and make the beans hot enough that when they were poured out of the can you had to wait for them to cool off. The fried bean residue on the inside and bottom of the can was considered a delicacy. Anything was good with Rainier or Oly. We were younger then.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-08-2021, 08:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I never used big stones for warming up my sleeping bag so can’t comment. I had something better. I do have a few boxes of nice river stones with location IDs sharpied on the “bottom.” There’s a little Lucy in a lot of us.

In younger days when I attended evening campfire get togethers with “shared food” I’d stop a a store on the way and buy a couple big cans of Campbells pork and beans. I would open the cans with my GI opener. The labels were peeled off and burned. I would get a couple smooth stones about the size of a chicken egg from the riverbank and put them in the fire. They would get very hot. Once hot, I used two sticks to fish them out of the coals and carefully dropped one in each can of beans. The rock would sink to the bottom and make the beans hot enough that when they were poured out of the can you had to wait for them to cool off. The fried bean residue on the inside and bottom of the can was considered a delicacy. Anything was good with Rainier or Oly. We were younger then.
Iowa Dave
Remind me not to try your beans at any potluck........ great story though!