Help... 19 or 21ne - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 19’
Help... 19 or 21ne

So we have now seen a 21 classic and a 19. We know that we don't care for the 21 classic mainly because the bed seems to be the main center of attraction and kind of an eye sore. We love the 19 and the floorplan of the 19 where the bed seems more private. So we're trying to figure the pros and cons of a 19 and a 21ne.
We are a retired couple with no pets. Previous trailer was a Tab 320 by Nucamp that we loved but was too small.
Any thoughts?
Videocrafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita SD 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videocrafters View Post
So we have now seen a 21 classic and a 19. We know that we don't care for the 21 classic mainly because the bed seems to be the main center of attraction and kind of an eye sore. We love the 19 and the floorplan of the 19 where the bed seems more private. So we're trying to figure the pros and cons of a 19 and a 21ne.
We are a retired couple with no pets. Previous trailer was a Tab 320 by Nucamp that we loved but was too small.
Any thoughts?
I don't have a suggestion to you as I am in exact same situation debating between 21NE and 19. I am not even considering 19C due to bed position and size. What I can tell you is that we have a 17ft Casita and we absolutely LOVE that we can get it in most tight spots, get all waterfront sites, etc
what we (well, my husband) dislikes is height for him and lack of storage. We have a child and a 100lb dog and on long trips (2-3 weeks), space gets tight, especially when we try to be self sufficient (aka no stores, no laundry). Some days i want 21NE and some days i think i am crazy and should go with 19...Good luck with your decision!
AllaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If you are not entertaining...we find the front dinette large enough for the two of us in the 19. We also like the smaller size for towing through towns and parking in a camp site. We are outside campers and only go inside for an extended period of time to keep out of the rain or sleeping.

However if you spend most of your time inside the trailer and for months at a time, the new 21 might be best.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Mickey, to our little Escape world. I'm an ex-T@da owner the brother of the original T@b made by Dutchman. The E19 and E21NE are identical layouts with the E21NE being bigger and wider and longer and heavier. You do not mention your tow vehicle so that may help others to help with your questions. For only 2 people and no pets I'd stick with the E19, we have 2 fur animals that travel with us. You can always upgrade later it beed be, Escape hold their value, I know since I'm on my 4th new Escape.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
If you are not entertaining...we find the front dinette large enough for the two of us in the 19. We also like the smaller size for towing through towns and parking in a camp site. We are outside campers and only go inside for an extended period of time to keep out of the rain or sleeping.

However if you spend most of your time inside the trailer and for months at a time, the new 21 might be best.
This is pretty much my opinion. We spend most of our time outside.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Any thoughts?
There is very little difference in cost and weight between the Escape 19 and the Escape 21NE, so IMO, it really depends on the type of camping you do.

If you stay at State Parks or private campgrounds with nice paved roads, large sites. The Escape 21NE would be your best choice.

If you camp in National Forest Service Campgrounds, or boondock which means you'll be driving down poorly maintained Forest Service roads and maneuvering in older smaller campgrounds, then the Escape 19 (with high lift kit) is your better choice.

For me it is the later and I have an Escape 19 on order. Only you know what type of camping you like to do.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
The 19 dinette is about 44 inches a bit tight for 4 people and hallway a bit narrow. I was just in a 21NE and it was very nice with a large dinette and more room in the hallway and a true queen bed with extra length. We just camped for two weeks with 6 nights in forestry campsite. Some with questionable roads with ou 21C, no problems. So I would not let the length bother you.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Beds

Quote:
Any thoughts?
We have a 21 Classic. We love the bed and we love the Casper Mattress. Many people, my wife Rita included have done a beautiful job of decorating the trailer including appointing the bed with decorative pillows and attractive throws. Nothing in our 21 is an eyesore except me.
The wider body and bigger bathroom on our 21 Classic were the main reasons we switched from the 19’ Classic we started with. I always looked at the crawl over conundrum which bothered some folks as an opportunity. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Go Bucks
Old 02-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19
I am wrestling with the same choice. That wrap around dinette, the second queen, and the longer counter are pretty tempting. We usually camp off forest roads, in dispersed sites, or at least the last campground at the roads end. Anyone out their have experience with the 21NE with the high lift kit? Is it just too much? I think that the 19 would suite us fine. We haven’t pulled a trailer and so have no comparison. By the way, anyone ever tuck a kid on the shelf above the dinette? ��
GnomeMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeMobile View Post
I am wrestling with the same choice. That wrap around dinette, the second queen, and the longer counter are pretty tempting. We usually camp off forest roads, in dispersed sites, or at least the last campground at the roads end. Anyone out their have experience with the 21NE with the high lift kit? Is it just too much? I think that the 19 would suite us fine. We haven’t pulled a trailer and so have no comparison. By the way, anyone ever tuck a kid on the shelf above the dinette? ��

I don't think the shelve would support a kid. Also its really not that big. You don't mention what you towing with. If your rig can handle the extra weight . The 21 comes standred with options that cost you on the 19. u shape, large fridge ,and kitchen window.Not sure if your considering adding any of these on the 19. I would have a look at both units the 19 should be easy to find , you might have to drive a little to see the 21 NE but who know you might get lucky.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
We made the huge jump in size from a 16' Scamp to a 19' Escape. We love it! We thought about the 21NE since it doesn't weigh much more than the 19, and doesn't cost much more either.
I kept thinking back to where we camp and some of the sites are going to be tight but workable in the 19, but I would have to find new favorite sites at some campgrounds due to the extra 2' that the 21 takes up.
Our thought was that the 19 will fit into just a few more campsites than the 21 will fit in, and I can park in the double sites in parking lots without sticking out in the aisles.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:33 PM   #12

Maybe I can find one close by. We have an old Chevy that will do fine pulling either. The difference in ferry prices isn’t significant for the extra length. That two feet might be the difference in cozy campsites, huh? That could be an issue some places. I mainly am concerned that the longer trailer might hit bottom on bumpy roads. The fridge doesn’t matter, but the kitchen window I would get! Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeMobile View Post
Maybe I can find one close by. We have an old Chevy that will do fine pulling either. The difference in ferry prices isn’t significant for the extra length. That two feet might be the difference in cozy campsites, huh? That could be an issue some places. I mainly am concerned that the longer trailer might hit bottom on bumpy roads. The fridge doesn’t matter, but the kitchen window I would get! Thanks for the feedback!

I don't think either trailer would hit on bumpy roads . On the 21 NE all the extra length is up front. Call or email ETI and they can give you a list of trailers in your area to look at. Last year we did a lot of research on both models and we chose the 19' we tow with a v-6 so that did have some play into our decision .I also liked the larger table in the 19 These might help also
Attached Thumbnails
19' Interior Dimensions.jpg   21NE 001.jpg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:05 PM   #14

I think that asking about Escapes in my region is very good advice. I hadn’t thought about where the length is in relation to the axel. Good point. I hadn’t thought about the difference in table size. I really should see one. I just discovered the measurement page last night! Thanks so much for sharing it though, it’s a great resource. I love the compact tidy floor plan of the 19, but the longer counter and u shaped dinette sound so nice. Either way, we get a fixed queen bed to sleep in, and lots of windows!
Old 02-23-2021, 11:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 E19
If the OP likes to have a lot of stuff on hand for long trips, storage space might be an important factor. How much more storage is in the 21 versus the 19?
Old 02-23-2021, 11:33 PM   #16

I haven’t read all the entries but I can tell you about our feelings on the 19 and the 21 classic.
We have owned both.
The 19 is a great trailer with a very logical and convenient layout. The queen bed is nice roomy bed. The only downside to some is the crawl over. The 21 has these advantages for us
Wider Aisle width, bigger bathroom, if you have a dog or keep stuff on the floor the 21 is more roomy. The bigger refrigerator is nice but not absolutely necessary. If you load the freezer up before a long trip, especially with meat, premade meals, and food you like that’s a little harder to find away from home it makes it pretty nice to speed up meal prep and May save you some money on your trip if you’re out for an extended period of time. We have the widow in the front
(Offset) in the 21 and really like it. The centering or lack of it, does not bother us at all. Finally, we very rarely find a campsite that we can’t fit into. In Michigan once we got an assigned site that was pretty short. We unhooked the trailer and then it just felt awful tight. I took the Highlander to the park entry gate, talked to the Attendant. He was very understanding and gave me a quick list of about 10 more sites to select from. We picked one out, it was very nice and lots bigger. I moved the trailer and then went back and told him which site we had selected. Whole thing might have taken a half an hour. And that’s only happened a couple times in hundreds of nights of camping. So the additional two feet is not a deal breaker. As far as storage there’s an amazing amount in the 19 and quite a bit more in the 21. No scientific analysis here but I’d say about 25% more storage in the 21.
Just my experience. Hope this helps. Can’t go wrong with either. Have pulled both with Highlanders coast to coast and border to border and to the north “and then some”
Iowa Dave
Old 02-24-2021, 03:13 AM   #17

Trailer: 2020 21NE
A big selling point for us on the 21NE was the wrap around dinette. Other than laying in the bed there is only one place to sit in these rigs, having the ability to lounge a bit more and change our position is a big plus. We both tend to lean up against the front wall cushion and kick our feet up along the bench.
tacchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:31 AM   #18

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
The extra (dimension) of a 21 will be minus in a few year. Towing will cost more... much more
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:49 AM   #19

Towing a 21.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondasaurus View Post
The extra (dimension) of a 21 will be minus in a few year. Towing will cost more... much more
Not a concern if your camping involves going short distances, if the vacation experience is a priority from your personal financial management perspective or if you happen to be fortunate enough to have adequate disposable funds to cover higher costs. The future is extremely difficult to accurately predict. At 73, the cost of fuel and campsite rental is the least of my worries, personally. If I don’t have the money to go to a far flung location I can pull our trailer 25 miles, park at the farm and walk down to the creek and go catfishing. Like my grandparents did a hundred years ago. Be Prepared
Iowa Dave
Old 02-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #20

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Not a concern if your camping involves going short distances, if the vacation experience is a priority from your personal financial management perspective or if you happen to be fortunate enough to have adequate disposable funds to cover higher costs. The future is extremely difficult to accurately predict. At 73, the cost of fuel and campsite rental is the least of my worries, personally. If I don’t have the money to go to a far flung location I can pull our trailer 25 miles, park at the farm and walk down to the creek and go catfishing. Like my grandparents did a hundred years ago. Be Prepared
Iowa Dave
The cost of fuel and more, the lack of choice in a adequate tow vehicule for bigger heavier rig...

It all personal choices. Not every one can afford a big truck as a daily driver or sitting in the driveway 7 month a year. In my case, I do only long distance camping. I'm not interested in camping in my town or in my area. I travel to explore.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote