Help diagnosing electrical issue- EMS? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2022, 01:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Help diagnosing electrical issue- EMS?

We have a 2018 19ft trailer. Recently, I plugged the trailer into house power (120) to start the refrigerator while we loaded for a trip.

All seemed well, but in the evening, the refrigerator would switch off of AC to battery. I have 120 coming to the trailer. There is continuity across the positive and return prongs on the trailer. At times there is 120 in the outlets, at other times nothing.

The display on the EMS will show 60HZ, 120V, 0-6 A. When this is the case, I get 120 on the outlets and the refrig switches to AC. The EMS display intermittently shows 0 V, outlets show 0 V, and the refrig attempts to switch to battery. Watching and probing, this happens every 3-5 minutes with no precise pattern. Plugging in a cell phone adapter has no effect on things, but a hair dryer trips the EMS to 0V, etc. Also, at times a PE2 error displays. I have not seen a PE, it goes straight to PE2.

Finally, each time the EMS display changes, i hear a faint click in the EMS (surge protector?).

I am thinking the EMS is bad. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 02:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
E2 means a bad ground... PE2 means the previous error was E2 but there's no current error.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 02:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Under "2" or open ground, the EMS will shut off power (open the relay, the "click" you hear). You may have an intermittent ground, ie moving the cord or adapter opens the ground connection. You can test this by putting the switch on the EMS display to bypass. When bypassed, the relay in the EMS will stay closed even with an open ground. If it still opens after a few minutes with the switch in bypass, I'd suspect a EMS problem.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:28 PM   #4

Thank you for the comments/suggestions. I am at the very edge of my knowledge, is there an easy procedure for by passing the EMS?
Old 07-09-2022, 02:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Little switch on the display that showed you the error. Normal Use and Bypass mode toggle
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 02:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Its quite possible that the 120v house power does not have a ground at the receptacle. You need a simple tester to check the receptacle (or it could be a loose connection in which case you may need your house receptacle, wiring, breaker panel checked for loose connections, proper wire hookups, etc.)

Charles
Old 07-09-2022, 03:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazypill View Post
Little switch on the display that showed you the error. Normal Use and Bypass mode toggle
The switch will close the relay in the EMS, bypassing the diagnostics if the EMS is working properly. If there is something wrong with the EMS, the switch may not close the relay, but bypassing the relay involves wiring changes that you probably don't want to do. Again, try the switch first. If putting it in bypass fixes the problem, it is a wiring fault between it & the house receptacle.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:25 PM   #8

I tried an outlet on another circuit. Same results on display.

Bypassing EMS gives me something like 4V at the outlets. This has been consistent- to Jon's point.

We recently camped with no problems, but really, really want a function refrigerator and (AC!) at this time of year. Will order a new power cord, as I mentioned before I have questions about it, and will report back as soon as I can get a new cord (probably from Amazon). In the mean time, thanks to all.

Gene
Old 07-09-2022, 09:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupfish View Post
I tried an outlet on another circuit. Same results on display.

Bypassing EMS gives me something like 4V at the outlets. This has been consistent- to Jon's point.

We recently camped with no problems, but really, really want a function refrigerator and (AC!) at this time of year. Will order a new power cord, as I mentioned before I have questions about it, and will report back as soon as I can get a new cord (probably from Amazon). In the mean time, thanks to all.

Gene
30 amp cord is rather easy to replace the plug on it, and after trying different plugs, I have found the best one of the bunch is the Progressive Industries TT-30P (not to be confused with Progressive Dynamics that makes the power converters and power panels.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/tt-30p

I have installed a couple of these and they are large enough to make working in them easy. Well made.

Charles
Old 07-18-2022, 06:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Gene, I have found that when I leave my electric water heater function switched on the EMS will deprive the trailer of electricity when hooked up to 120volt 15 amp through a 15 amp extension cord. Sitting the electric water heater function off makes all the difference in the world in that situation.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Gene, I have found that when I leave my electric water heater function switched on the EMS will deprive the trailer of electricity when hooked up to 120volt 15 amp through a 15 amp extension cord. Sitting the electric water heater function off makes all the difference in the world in that situation.

John
what error does it show under those circumstances? I would guess possibly a low voltage, if your extension cord isn't actually 15 amp (most aren't).
Old 07-19-2022, 06:18 AM   #12

Yes it shows a low voltage error.

John
Old 07-19-2022, 06:34 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The EMS is your friend and normally should not be ignored nor bypassed. Read up on the subject and try to find the problem before it impacts other items.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:51 AM   #14
Site Team

a SW6DE water heater, which is what I presume you must have, is 1440 watts in electric mode, thats about 12 amps at 120V. You probably need a heavier gauge extension cord, like a 'contractor cord' that's 12/3 or 10/3. most outdoor cords are 16/3 or 14/3. Copper is expensive, a 100 ft 10/3 cord is likely $200, while a 100 ft 12/3 cord is $100. A cord much cheaper than that likely is NOT copper, but is copper clad aluminum, which isj unk.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:18 PM   #15

Yes I definitely have an inferior extension chord but it is only there for storage. Storage is at an old airport housing my 1946 hobby airplane where electrical service is also inferior. Electrical service is so bad that some days I can’t recharge my air compressor unless it starts from totally zero pressure. But good enough for battery maintenance charging as long as the water heater and or AC are off.

John
Attached Thumbnails
AF4862AD-4177-47AE-A790-452B89BEA047.jpg  
Old 07-19-2022, 12:33 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Yes I definitely have an inferior extension chord but it is only there for storage. Storage is at an old airport housing my 1946 hobby airplane where electrical service is also inferior. Electrical service is so bad that some days I can’t recharge my air compressor unless it starts from totally zero pressure. But good enough for battery maintenance charging as long as the water heater and or AC are off.

John
Nice ... is that a Cessna 140 ?
Old 07-19-2022, 02:10 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All they need is a boat to cover air, land, and water transport.....
Old 07-19-2022, 02:41 PM   #18

Thanks John. It's a 120.

Jim, we recently covered our boat needs between Sydney Nova Scotia and Port aux Basques Newfoundland with the boat in the background of the photo. 8000 miles round trip from and back to Kansas. Worst roads in North America. All without a WDH. Now front tow vehicle tires look like they were rolling without shock absorbers. E2 WDH now on order!

Anyway EMS is happiest with WH element shut off during 15 amp shore power with long thin extension cord.

John
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3839.jpg  
Old 07-25-2022, 02:56 PM   #19

I am sorry for the delay in getting back regarding our electrical problem. I ordered a new charging cable and a receptacle tester. The outlet I was using was ungrounded, so that accounts for the error. Instead of a charging cable, I received an extension cable, so this added several days.

Long story short, using a grounded outlet resolved the problem. The disappearing mobile tech, for some reason flipped the AC circuit breakers, which I did not notice until after the new cord arrived and "failed" to solve the problem. All electrical devices, outlets, etc., are operating normally.

Thank you to everyone who provided advice. Not only was I able to sort this out, but I learned a lot from the comments and discussion. Should our paths cross, remind of this thread, for your fill of, um, adult beverages.

I have been taking the online version of the National RV Training Academy's basic RV maintenance course and will take the onsite training in September. I hope to post, somewhere, the pros/cons of the two formats.

Once again, thank you.