Help I Can't Decide - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I once thought I would be an Airstream owner one day, but now have no interest at all.

I really like the Bigfoot trailer, and a 25' rear twin would be ideal, even the 25' rear queen would be good too. I like the limited four season aspect and the fact they are a well built trailer. The main thing keeping me from buying one is the size and weight. 25'-6" long, 8'-4" wide and a dry weight of near 5,000 lbs.

One thing I plan to do over the next bunch of years is put the miles on and see much of North America, and doing that in the Escape 5.0TA will be a lot easier. Saving some cash is nice, but not the main consideration for me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Could you explain this in a little more detail, please, as we are considering a 5.0TA. It seems to me that if the 5.0 is only 2 ft. longer than the 19, and that if it hangs over the tow vehicle bed (what, maybe 3 ft.?), how much more limiting is the 5.0 getting into tight spots?
Because of the width (the 5.0 TA is wider than the 19), and we're anticipating towing down some narrow, brushed-in dirt roads. And trying to get it into some narrow spots flanked on both sides by trees. Also, the heavier pin weight of the 5.0 TA, compared to the tongue weight on the 19, combined with loss of the use of the pickup bed for hauling stuff (due to the 5th wheel hitch), were factors we thought long and hard about. We decided we'd rather have a canopy on the pickup bed than use up our truck's payload with the heavier pin weight of the 5.0 TA. And since the 19 weighs so much less, we're hoping to maintain as much of our truck's fuel efficiency as possible. Of course the big trade-off to all of this is less living and storage space in the trailer. There are so many things to consider!! This part was by far the toughest for us, as I had really been set on the 5.0 TA. But at this point, with all decisions made, I think the 19 was absolutely the right way to go. For a lot of folks, the 5.0 TA is best for them, you can read that all over this forum. As I said we may end up with one down the road as well! But I really think we'll be loving our 19 when we get it.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #23

Trailer: none
Thanks, Salmo! A lot to consider indeed but it sounds like you've picked the right rig for now.

We have yet to see a 5.0 but will be seeing one, and a 21, next month so who knows, we may end up changing our minds. We just toured our first Escape a couple days ago (17B).
Old 07-14-2018, 04:51 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I worry about Airstream's potential for damage from rocks or hale. The Bigfoot my buddy had was REALLY dark in the bed area as opposed to the light, airy feel from the bed of our 17B. I might go for a 19ft Escape with modifications to include the dump valves within the heated space so it becomes functional for below freezing temps. If you want off the shelf winter capability, Lance trailers should also be in the discussion.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #25

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I first wanted an airstream because they are beautiful. But I’m not the best at maintenance so I don’t think I could keep one in good condition also they are heavy. Then I started looking at fiberglass trailers and I kept seeing rave reviews about Escape so I started following this forum. I bought a second hand 17 I loved it but kinda wanted more room. I then toured a few 5.0s and knew that was my next trailer. I bought a new one last year and a new f150 - a lot of money for me I don’t usually by new. But I love the combination.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
Good to have choices, but for me Escape hits the “sweet spot.” My folks had RV’s going back to the early 60’s when they converted a school bus into a camper (actually twice) since they couldn’t find what they wanted way back at the beginning of their RV experience. Years ago they preferred an Avion over an Airstream because they thought it was built better. Bigfoot’s r nice, but heavy, and while I camp in the shoulder season, my insulated Escape works well down to the 20’s (F). Will be interesting to see the future of fiberglass trailers, but I think we can expect to see more of them.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #27

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
I would get an Oliver.
JimHol58 is offline   Reply With Quote