Help I Can't Decide - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Trailerless
Help I Can't Decide

If money was no object which would you want, an Escape, Big Foot, or Airstream. I like them all and all seem well built but having trouble deciding. Thanks in advance.
Up2speed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I would go for a new Escape 5.0Ta and a new truck. We love our current Escape 19, but fell in love with the 5.0 after our friends bought one.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2speed4 View Post
If money was no object which would you want, an Escape, Big Foot, or Airstream. I like them all and all seem well built but having trouble deciding. Thanks in advance.
We recently went through this. We looked very hard at Airstream, and I actually thought we were 90%+ decided on one. We limited ourselves to the 23'ers based on total length, width & weight. With that limit in place the fridge is small and the CCC is, well marginal at best. The brochure specs for CCC were laughable compared to the real life tags I viewed on a handful of Airstreams, including very base models. Airstreams have dry baths which was a definite draw but we ultimately decided it was not more valuable than maneuverability. The QA on Airstreams is not impressive either, especially on the models below the Classic. Seems like they just push them out the door and expect the dealer/owner to do the final QA. The positive was the drive to the factory from Wisconsin to Airstream (Ohio) is much better than either ETI or BigFoot. Ultimately we knew if we wanted an Airstream it would be a 25'er and they are actually close to 26' long and 8' wide.

Cliff Note version: We went with an Escape 5.0 TA for the compact maneuverability and the fiberglass shell. But if plush comfort and dry bath ever out weigh that we may end up in a 25' Air.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
I would go for a new Escape 5.0Ta and a new truck. We love our current Escape 19, but fell in love with the 5.0 after our friends bought one.
Hi: GregandTeresa... I couldn't agree with you more. I'd buy a diesel pickup and a 5.0TA in a New York minute. Wait a sec... I already own them!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040821.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I would probably go for the Bigfoot because it is more of a four season trailer and in our climate that is a definite plus
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We've had a 16' Airstream Bambi, and a 25' Bigfoot. We also have friends with an Airstream. It's not just the original purchase price of an Airstream, but the cost of keeping it up. The Bigfoot was fantastic, but a new one is $56,000+, last we checked, weighs over 6,300 pounds, has nearly a 1,000 # tongue weight, and we only got 9.5 mpg. There is a couple here we met last year who owned a 17' Bigfoot at the time and they also were disappointed with their gas mileage.

We've ordered a 21' Escape and believe we've finally found what we want.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would probably go for the Bigfoot because it is more of a four season trailer and in our climate that is a definite plus
I guess we'll find out this winter if the Bigfoot is any better in cold weather.

Can't help but notice you don't own a Escape. Have you ever owned a Bigfoot or Escape?

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: GregandTeresa... I couldn't agree with you more. I'd buy a diesel pickup and a 5.0TA in a New York minute. Wait a sec... I already own them!!! Alf
Alf, I'll look you up when we retire in a few years. I appreciate the offer to sell us your pickup and 5.0 when we are ready. Feel free to continue using it in the meantime.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Alf, I'll look you up when we retire in a few years. I appreciate the offer to sell us your pickup and 5.0 when we are ready. Feel free to continue using it in the meantime.
You would be better off grabbing a new 23 in a few years!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: GregandTeresa... Wait just a durn minute!!! My reply was "Tongue in check". Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Now we love our Escape 19 and think that it is a fantastic trailer for the money, but you said if money was no object so I would go for a Bigfoot and a new truck since our Tacoma would be too small to tow it. I talked to a couple that had a 25B21RB and they gave me a tour of their trailer, wow it was nice. That being said we would need a new truck (at least an F-150 with an ecoboost). Also we would probably use more fuel but hey who cares cause, "Money is no object". Oh, by the way these people used to have an Airstream and they said they did not like it cause when they boondocked in the sun the metal Airstream just trapped the heat and stayed hot for hours. I never thought of that. Well the trailer would have cost us at least twice as much as we paid for our 2016 Escape 19 and the truck probably would have cost us another $10,000, but hey it's only money right.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
From my understanding Airstreams do not hold up well in sever hail storms. You may want to check that out for yourself. I would hate to spend all that money and end up with a pocked marked finish. We toured one at the local RV show and there was some sort of leather like pull on one of the cabinets that was already broken. I did like the frosted port hole in the bathroom door. Also check on what they require for resealing...if I remember correctly it was very regular and quite an intense procedure.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
🤔 We have a 2017 5.0 TA and I bought a 2016 F150 to tow it. For us it’s a perfect fit. Spent my whole life watching my money and never buying anything I couldn’t afford, so the concept of money is no object is one I can’t get my head around. Pretty sure that my total expense was less than just the Airstream.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Yep, even if money is no object there are other things to consider. We chose an Escape 19 after considering a Northern Lite truck camper, a Class B motorhome, and an Escape 5.0 TA. For the truck camper, it became apparent that to haul it safely, one really needs a 1-ton pickup, and I just couldn't get there (gosh those are nice campers though). The Class B motorhomes we looked at were really cool but super spendy, even for a used one we were looking at upwards of $80K, and then there was the issue of setting camp and then having to break camp every time we wanted to go somewhere (that issue would have applied to the truck camper as well). Finally, all things considered the 5.0 TA is an awesome trailer and we may move up to one someday, but for now the 19 will give us more options for the type of camping we do, which is boondocking in tough-to-get-to places, and it's a great fit for our tow vehicle. It's also a huge step up, in that it's our first RV for 2 lifelong tenters. We can afford a bigger truck and a more expensive trailer, but that doesn't mean they would suit us better. Ease of towing is a major consideration. Also, while we need to accept that compromised fuel economy is a price one pays when deciding to tow a trailer, I could not dismiss it entirely. So, we went with the 19. Bought it sight unseen, don't have it yet, and maybe in a year I'll be singing a different tune... but I think we're gonna absolutely love it. Counting the days until we pick it up!!!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and it will hold it's value...
Old 07-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Been a while since I looked at them, but if $ meant nothing, I'd go for a Bigfoot pulled by a Sportmobile Classic 4x4. But as $ does have value to me I bought an Escape 5.0TA.

Of course I liked the 28RB Airscream a while back to. I suppose if $ didn't matter I could be happy with one, with a 3/4T 4x4 pickup cause I wouldn't care about the mileage or the cost of having someone maintain the trailer when the windows leak or the body starts to oxydize. And why would I care if it got beatup by the hail, I'd just get a new one. I could do like Jim and get a new trailer every year irregardless.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:27 PM   #17

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Finally, all things considered the 5.0 TA is an awesome trailer and we may move up to one someday, but for now the 19 will give us more options for the type of camping we do, which is boondocking in tough-to-get-to places, and it's a great fit for our tow vehicle.
Could you explain this in a little more detail, please, as we are considering a 5.0TA. It seems to me that if the 5.0 is only 2 ft. longer than the 19, and that if it hangs over the tow vehicle bed (what, maybe 3 ft.?), how much more limiting is the 5.0 getting into tight spots?
Old 07-13-2018, 07:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Been a while since I looked at them, but if $ meant nothing, I'd go for a Bigfoot pulled by a Sportmobile Classic 4x4. But as $ does have value to me I bought an Escape 5.0TA.

Of course I liked the 28RB Airscream a while back to. I suppose if $ didn't matter I could be happy with one, with a 3/4T 4x4 pickup cause I wouldn't care about the mileage or the cost of having someone maintain the trailer when the windows leak or the body starts to oxydize. And why would I care if it got beatup by the hail, I'd just get a new one. I could do like Jim and get a new trailer every year irregardless.
Also like the Big Foot and the Oliver . Thought I wanted a Airstream but we belong to their forum and that changed our minds with the problems . Also just saw a Class C we like too . So many choices but we usually stick with our current RV for min. 12 years . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Could you explain this in a little more detail, please, as we are considering a 5.0TA. It seems to me that if the 5.0 is only 2 ft. longer than the 19, and that if it hangs over the tow vehicle bed (what, maybe 3 ft.?), how much more limiting is the 5.0 getting into tight spots?
The 5.0TA is a little wider and a lot taller. You can also pull the 19 with a much smaller wheel based vehicle which is nice.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Well, UpSpeed, if you still can't decide I think there is clearly only one move left for you....get yourself a chili cheeseburger, then...

…..Drop back ten yards and punt.
Attached Thumbnails
Sparkys5.jpg