Help needed with propane connections - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2022, 04:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Help needed with propane connections

Hi Group,
My wife and I received a nice Coleman grill/stove that runs off of those 14.1 oz blue cylinders. We would like to be able to connect this grill/stove to our outdoor quick-connect on our 2020 5.0TA.

I will attempt to add a picture of the grill and the connector that came with it, a picture of the hose we currently have. Hoping we can use the existing hose? If anyone with propane connections experience can help us find the correct parts needed that would be awesome!

After researching this forum, can we use this kit? Assuming my hose won’t work? https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Press.../dp/B07XHNKMND

If my hose is ok, what will I need to screw on to it?

After we sort this out, I will have the same question for when we go to buy the fire bowl gas fire pit.

Thanks everyone! Hope to hear from you all so we can order up what we need the first time rather then me having to guess.
Attached Thumbnails
B99140B2-F8FE-4924-93C5-B3510E7F66E9.jpg   8CAA7303-FEB9-4522-B23F-A8A0FD4748E0.jpg   0EBEDBB9-F351-4CDD-B51D-7D1F7CAFBB48.jpg   81218641-DAB4-41CE-8491-92ECFA807A5E.jpg  
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 04:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 E19
I'm no expert but having recently asked for advice on this forum on the same topic I have now a general understanding of how this is supposed to work.
I think what you will find is that your stove has a regulator built into it that would have to be removed in order to connect to the already regulated line from the Escape trailer.
I need to do the same thing to my Weber grill and my Outland fire bowl. With my Weber there are You Tube videos showing how to remove the regulator and it is quite easy. You might check for your stove - odds are someone else has figured it out.
The only reason I haven't done it yet is I stocked up on the little propane tanks when they were on sale. Need to use them up first.
Not sure about your hose. I plan on putting quick disconnects on both ends.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
I'm no expert but having recently asked for advice on this forum on the same topic I have now a general understanding of how this is supposed to work.
I think what you will find is that your stove has a regulator built into it that would have to be removed in order to connect to the already regulated line from the Escape trailer.
I need to do the same thing to my Weber grill and my Outland fire bowl. With my Weber there are You Tube videos showing how to remove the regulator and it is quite easy. You might check for your stove - odds are someone else has figured it out.
The only reason I haven't done it yet is I stocked up on the little propane tanks when they were on sale. Need to use them up first.
Not sure about your hose. I plan on putting quick disconnects on both ends.
Torjik and MB Sturgis offer kits for the Weber Q grill and some other low pressure propane products. For the high pressure Coleman products, you may not be able to use the low pressure external connector from the trailer.
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:21 PM   #4

https://www.caloreequipment.com/prop...sion-adapters/
Old 04-17-2022, 04:24 PM   #5

I ended up taking the Coleman grill back and will look into a Weber or a Blackstone. Thanks for the replies guys
Old 04-17-2022, 05:43 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just bought my 2nd Blackstone grill. It can cook just about anything and I love making breakfast on a grill while camping. Plan on taking it to Osoyoos, stop in for some Spam and eggs......
Old 04-17-2022, 05:58 PM   #7

Did you get the 17” or 22” adventure ready griddle model? Or some other model? Do you find the BTU’s are good enough for the typical hot dogs, hamburger, etc?
Old 04-17-2022, 06:06 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I got the 17" model and have used it in the past. It is the perfect size......
Old 04-17-2022, 06:17 PM   #9

Great to hear! And it’s probably the most economical of choices as well which is a plus.
Old 04-17-2022, 06:32 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We really like our Napoleon TravelIQ dual burner travel propane bbq, we have a half griddle and two half grills, so we can either use it fully as a grill, or split as a griddle+grill. I have an adapter hose so I can run it directly off a 20 lb bottle. 2 burners means you can turn one off, and do indirect cooking.

we got the version with an attached scissors cart, there's also a model that is tabletop.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 06:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
2 burners means you can turn one off, and do indirect cooking.
Which is great for slow-cooking ribs and roasting chicken.
Note the form of the grills. Asparagus won't fall through.
Attached Thumbnails
chicken napoleon - 1.jpg  
Old 04-17-2022, 10:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 Bigfoot 2500 17.5CB
I've got the 22'' Blackstone. I found the 17" a bit too small. There are times you just need a little extra room. It's more versatile having two burners as well. I love griddle style cooktops plus there so easy to clean. I can cook breakfast, lunch and dinner on it.
beckam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 10:04 PM   #13
Site Team

yeah, we've used our grill griddle for everything from pancakes to veggie skewers to a classic italian sausage with peppers and onions. mmmmMMMMM! carmelized the veggies on the griddle, then did the sausages on the grill.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
Hi Group,
My wife and I received a nice Coleman grill/stove that runs off of those 14.1 oz blue cylinders. We would like to be able to connect this grill/stove to our outdoor quick-connect on our 2020 5.0TA.

I will attempt to add a picture of the grill and the connector that came with it, a picture of the hose we currently have. Hoping we can use the existing hose? If anyone with propane connections experience can help us find the correct parts needed that would be awesome!

After researching this forum, can we use this kit? Assuming my hose won’t work? https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Press.../dp/B07XHNKMND

If my hose is ok, what will I need to screw on to it?

After we sort this out, I will have the same question for when we go to buy the fire bowl gas fire pit.

Thanks everyone! Hope to hear from you all so we can order up what we need the first time rather then me having to guess.
Unfortunately, the Coleman stoves that use this kind of regulator can't be used with your camper's exterior low-pressure quick-connect propane outlet. That's because these stoves aren't true "low-pressure" 1/2 p.s.i. stoves like all the ones that DO work from the quick-connect. These stoves use propane at 15 p.s.i. which is 30 times the pressure used by the true low-pressure stoves.

Take a look at this post for a more complete explanation:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post383020
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Camp Chef Ranger II

We really like our Camp Chef Ranger II stove and know 2 others with than who also like them. They have even heat and we find it netter cook on than a Coleman.
https://www.amazon.ca/Ranger-II-Blin...14524369&psc=1
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:41 PM   #16

Costco in the U.S. sells a 3 burner Camp Chef Ranger 3 model with adjustable legs and a combination griddle/grill for $259.99. It's probably excessively large for a travel trailer but it is a good deal:

https://www.costco.com/camp-chef-tun...100730772.html
Old 04-19-2022, 03:16 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
Costco in the U.S. sells a 3 burner Camp Chef Ranger 3 model with adjustable legs and a combination griddle/grill for $259.99. It's probably excessively large for a travel trailer but it is a good deal:

https://www.costco.com/camp-chef-tun...100730772.html
while I can't find that exact model on campchef's site, a very similar one is 60 lbs. thats a lot to haul out and setup at a campsite unless you're cooking for a big group. and its not a grill, its a 3 burner stove with a griddle accessory. a grill has to have heat spreaders and grease protectors over the burners, you don't want your fat dribbling directly onto the burners or you'll ruin them in a hurry and have massive flareups. 3 burners of 30K BTU each, you'll burn through a 430K BTU propane tank in a few hours with that on high-high-high.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Here’s the little CampChef we carry.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have not pulled the regulator and hooked it up to the trailer. I’ve yet to see a small quality grill. Even the Magma I had on the boat wasn’t that great to me. In my experience they all will do the job if you are careful, but none work as well as a full size non portable grill. I’ve not seen a lot of difference from $20 to $400 except parts availability.

I’m sure others may feel differently, but that’s my experience.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:52 PM   #19

Just an update, we ended up buying a 17” Blackstone Griddle and a Firebowl. I found the laundry list of items needed to hook both up on this site and am just waiting for the Amazon truck to come Thursday to then try it all out. The Griddle was around $86 at Cabellas and I was given a $10 off code using their chat feature. I just asked how long it would be on sale for and I ordered it up online and picked up in store. Thanks to all of you that responded. I REALLY appreciate it.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
while I can't find that exact model on campchef's site, a very similar one is 60 lbs. thats a lot to haul out and setup at a campsite unless you're cooking for a big group.

and its not a grill, its a 3 burner stove with a griddle accessory. a grill has to have heat spreaders and grease protectors over the burners, you don't want your fat dribbling directly onto the burners or you'll ruin them in a hurry and have massive flareups. 3 burners of 30K BTU each, you'll burn through a 430K BTU propane tank in a few hours with that on high-high-high.
John, I see that you're using a propane tank in a crate with your Napoleon grill. Are you able to use the low pressure connection on the Escape with your grill? What is the combined weight of your grill and tank/crate?

I've used a grill/griddle "accessory" which I purchased from Costco for $21.99, at home. I've also used a silicon mat at home for grilling on my BBQ. Each one of these catches any fat in the meat that I cook and it does so very nicely. I don't cook on "high-high-high" because these accessories are non-stick. They do not need a lot of heat. As well, I don't cook meat that has a high fat content. There is no fat dribbling anywhere and I don't need to clean anything but the "accessories". The food is tasty and using the accessories saves a lot of time in clean up. The accessories work well for me. It seems that many who have purchased the 3-burner Camp Chef have found it to be satisfactory in terms of using the accessory grill/griddle. I didn’t suggest that the Camp Chef model would be appropriate for a travel trailer. It is heavy indeed. However, it does seem to be a good price, as I had stated. See photos.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5720.jpeg   IMG_5721.jpeg   IMG_5725.jpeg