Help Please: Used 17SD Casita Vs. Used Escape 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #1

Trailer: none presently
Help Please: Used 17SD Casita Vs. Used Escape 17B

The DW, and I are interested in getting one of these two trailers. My inquiry runs the gamut from trailer weight to bathroom size. Our tow vehicle is a 2011 Honda Odyssey, it has a 3.5L motor & 218 HP, rated for 3500 lb tow weight. With TV's modest capability the Escape seems to have the edge, as its total dry weight is 475 pounds less than the Casita. How much of a difference will that make when I drive to Yosemite or Rocky Mt. National Park? Some other Escape advantages are it is 10" longer, and the aisle width is more generous. Is it 2" more in the Escape? Some have said that the dinette on the opposite end of the trailer is nice, why is that better than the Casita's? The Escape seems to have more storage inside, or does it really? One Casita Advantage is that it has a wider bed, 54" to 49." Do some of you set up two beds at night in the Escape? We would like to sleep together with our dog in the same bed. She is a 53 lb bulldog mix. Also, the Casita has a bigger bathroom. I am 5'11," will I have trouble standing up straight to shower in either of these units? One plus of the Casita is it is less expensive to buy a used one than a used Escape. I'll look forward to you feedback.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you search "Casita" you will find earlier threads such as: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...else-1767.html

There are several discussions.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Steve, you are on an Escape forum so...
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #4

Google Search:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2013-11-22 at 2.50.53 PM.png  
Old 11-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Steve, you are on an Escape forum so...
He knows that. I directed him here from FGRV because there have been several discussions that might answer his questions.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #6

And, I've read most all of them (I think). I posted no the fiberglass forum because of the neutral ground. Now this is on all three, FGRV, Casita, and, Escape. Notice the questions addressed here, other than TV were not addressed previously.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Be sure to look at the tongue weights of typical Casita 17's - I believe the limit on your Odyssey is 350 lbs; most Casitas run more than that. If you haven't found it, Trailer Weights in the Real World at the Fiberglass forum or my downloadable Excel version will give you some information.

As to choice, I decided to go with an Escape because of the better fit & finish, a factory willing to add my unusual options, and because the owners all seemed to love them (of course Casita owners love theirs as well).
Old 11-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Ya - like Jon said, most 17' Casitas will be tongue heavy for your van.
The 17' Escape on the other hand was designed for that class of tow vehicle:
"There are many key features about the Escape which make it lightweight and aerodynamic, keeping travel costs to a minimum. With a dry weight of only 1900 lbs (Plan A) or 2100 lbs (Plan B), the Escape 17’ has been designed specifically for mid sized vehicles such as mini-vans, SUVs and mid-sized trucks with a V6 engine or a minimum towing capacity of 3500lbs." (From the Escape web site)
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Obviously we all are going to point at Escapes as being our choice, but since you're buying used I say whichever you find first that suits your wants best! We lucked out and got a used 17B, and we tow with a Sienna, so very similar to your Odyssey.

Regarding tongue weight, do check your manual, but at least with our Sienna we can go over the 350lb limit (up to 500lbs tongue weight) IF we use a WDH, which we do, and I'd encourage you to do regardless of if you need to according to the manual. It just feels better driving with the WDH, in my opinion.

I can tell you that the used 17Bs that are older (I don't know exactly what year the mold changed) have even shorter bathrooms than the new ones. I'm 5'5" and if I stand up straight in our 2005 17B my head touches the screen for the bathroom vent! Showers are way easier seated on the toilet...

We've slept the two of us with two dogs in the bed (dogs are 30 & 40lbs) and it was a bit tight, so we got a bed extension up at the factory. It helps a bunch (but does require daily set up and tear down)! We've also, for quick one night stops where we didn't want to bother with the extension, slept on both beds. During the nicer weather we had the small dinette set up as a couch anyway, so it was no setup.

Is there a reason you've ruled out Scamps? They pop up used more often, similarly to Casitas, and the Deluxe models have the wood cabinetry, if you prefer that.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
[QUOTE=J Mac;38122]Steve, you are on an Escape forum so...[/QUOTE

..... be prepared for a rather biased decision.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I think you should get a Casita, Steve. (Just kidding.)
The bed is a big deal so only you can decide.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Be sure to look at the tongue weights of typical Casita 17's - I believe the limit on your Odyssey is 350 lbs; most Casitas run more than that. If you haven't found it, Trailer Weights in the Real World at the Fiberglass forum or my downloadable Excel version will give you some information.

As to choice, I decided to go with an Escape because of the better fit & finish, a factory willing to add my unusual options, and because the owners all seemed to love them (of course Casita owners love theirs as well).
I bet is does have that, finding a great condition 17B used could prove difficult. As for towing I've done extensive online research and folks with 17' Casita's and Odyssey Tugs; and they are hands down content. So, if a 17' Casita and an Odyssey work then I'd think a 17B Escape would do even better.

This is a great forum and I am grateful for all of your help.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I think you should get a Casita, Steve. (Just kidding.)
The bed is a big deal so only you can decide.
You've got my dream trailer!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Your FWD Honda although fairly new is a bit light in the power department for a 17' trailer of any brand name. You might consider a 15 ' footer or maybe a larger tow.
But thats just because I like to be overpowered rather than under.
A fully loaded 17' can get heavy if you're heading out for a two week trip.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Humm, you say a 17' Casita.. welll IMHO that in itself doesn't mean much. What's the LAYOUT? The only 17' Casita I would consider is a FD. But THAT's me...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We loved our little Casita. Have to agree with folks on the tongue weight and actually overall weight with a TV rated for 3500 lbs you are pushing it to it's max. Depends on what you are comfortable with. Our Casita's tongue weight ran 410# and the trailer ready to go camping 3300# (weight hitched up). Having just purchased an Escape we are more than pleased. The 17 Escape is lighter and has a lighter tongue weight. For the smaller trailers, the Casita has one of the biggest bathrooms if that's an issue. We had an FD with the captains chairs. Had 8 great yrs of fun, can't wait to take the Escape on the road.

Good luck,
Kathie

PS Just noticed you want to sleep with the dog - you might want the Liberty with the king size bed.
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #17

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Humm, you say a 17' Casita.. welll IMHO that in itself doesn't mean much. What's the LAYOUT? The only 17' Casita I would consider is a FD. But THAT's me...
It's in the title of the thread: 17SD = Spirit Deluxe.

I had a 16' Casita SD for 10 years and loved it, until I did a 10-week Workamper job for Amazon .com outside Reno, NV. This was during the pre-holiday rush, mid October to basically Christmas Eve. The Casita is not built for cold weather camping...so now I am saving my pennies for a 15' Escape w/ extra insulation and thermal windows.

I figure a 15' Escape will feel as spacious as the Casita did plus have a better layout (for my needs) and more storage.
Canadark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Doesn't the 15 Escape have a bigger bed than the 17?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The dinette on the 17 is 49" wide, and in the 15 is 54". Even if you go with the 17A, the bed is only 52" wide.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If you were willing to forego a bathroom, the 15A I believe is one of the best layouts out there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote