Help with getting internet cable inside Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2019, 02:06 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19'
Cool Help with getting internet cable inside Escape 19

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice. I've recently purchased a brand new 19' Escape and I am planning to live in it full time. Since I don't own or watch TV it never occured for me to get it "cable ready". Now I am parked on a private property where I have access to Comcast internet (I need it for work). Originally I thought I would use a hotspot at a campground, but I found this amazing place that's much better than a campground, and it comes with cable internet. My question is how to get the cable inside the trailer? I obviously do not want to be drilling any holes into the fiberglass. The only way at this point I can think of is through a window, but that would mean that bugs and would be getting in as well.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

Galina
BlueIndigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIndigo View Post
Hello all,

I am looking for some advice. I've recently purchased a brand new 19' Escape and I am planning to live in it full time. Since I don't own or watch TV it never occured for me to get it "cable ready". Now I am parked on a private property where I have access to Comcast internet (I need it for work). Originally I thought I would use a hotspot at a campground, but I found this amazing place that's much better than a campground, and it comes with cable internet. My question is how to get the cable inside the trailer? I obviously do not want to be drilling any holes into the fiberglass. The only way at this point I can think of is through a window, but that would mean that bugs and would be getting in as well.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

Galina
Without drilling any holes, the best way to do this would be to use a Cable Modem Router and connect to it wifi. The Cable Modem Router could be connected to the cable internet and powered outside the trailer - it would need protection from the elements but that could be done with a plastic box.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you have a push through power cord there may be room to run an extension cable through that hole. If it were me, I'd drill a hole and add a cable port. Something like this, but in white.

https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-FTVIN...YMAM0A3R16REBK
Old 06-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If you have a push through power cord there may be room to run an extension cable through that hole. If it were me, I'd drill a hole and add a cable port. Something like this, but in white.
I agree. And you're not alone with being reluctant to drill a hole in your fiberglass. After the first one it gets easier.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I was happy to drill a hole and install a good exterior port. Makes hooking up to an antenna or campsite cable if we want a piece of cake. Same for WiFi booster and in the future a cell booster should we get one.

So far I have drilled 7 holes and cut 3 large openings. Doing this myself is no different that the dealer doing so, or the many inlets we have in our homes too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:32 AM   #6

Wow you guys are so confident about drilling holes... I called Escape and still waiting for their call back about this. Meanwhile how do you you know a safe place to drill in and how do you waterproof the hole you make? I am really scared to mess this up - being watertight is the main reason I bought this trailer to begin with.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:56 AM   #7

Well, look at it this way. I built an ocean going sailboat. When I started it was one large f.g. shell without any holes. When I finished it had 17 holes varying from 3/4" to 1 1/2" below the waterline and countless dozens of holes above the waterline and it was still kept the water out.

Use a good caulk and leakage isn't an issue. For a bomb proof installation use 3M 5200.

There's no mystery about where to drill holes whether it's in the sides or the floor. Just look at your preferred location and find a reference point. Then go inside and find out what's in the area. If there's no conflict you're good to go. I use reference points like a bolt that goes from the frame on the outside to the bolt head visible on the inside. There's a lot of places where there's no conflict with other objects.

Ron
Old 06-25-2019, 01:19 AM   #8

LOL ok wow - you built a sailboat I think my experience level is a bit below that
This being my very first trailer and me knowing nothing about drilling...
Old 06-25-2019, 04:40 AM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you are not comfortable doing the job, find a boat shop.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:19 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
is your internet connection via ethernet or via coax CATV ? thats sort of a function of whether the cable modem and router is inside or outside your trailer....
John in Santa Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:06 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you search underneath the trailer, there are some holes, weep holes that could be expanded, underneath eliminates leak issues.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you search underneath the trailer, there are some holes, weep holes that could be expanded, underneath eliminates leak issues.
But trying to connect any cable to a port underneath would create a lot of hassle for many.

There are already 100's of holes in the trailer shell side and top, and to create another one done properly does not bother me at all.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I looked through the pictures I have on my computer for a go by for where to install the cable port on a 19' and couldn't find one.

If someone would post a picture of the 19' cable port, maybe the OP could use that to determine where a hole could be cut without any drama afterwards.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
This is where ETI put the factory cable connector on our 19:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	40042
Old 06-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #15

Lot's of room in that area to put a cable port.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0028_resize.JPG  
Old 06-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you are willing to drill, this is what I use to pass my power over Ethernet cable that feeds a Ubiquiti Nanostation WiFi system through the back wall of my Escape 21.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you are willing to drill, this is what I use to pass my power over Ethernet cable that feeds a Ubiquiti Nanostation WiFi system through the back wall of my Escape 21.
And I borrowed your drill bit to mount one myself 16 months ago. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #18
Site Team

its not clear to me if this is for cable tv style internet connection, or ethernet. ethernet is not normally used for outdoor applications. it all hinges on where the cable modem/router is... is it inside the trailer, or outside ?
Old 06-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
its not clear to me if this is for cable tv style internet connection, or ethernet. ethernet is not normally used for outdoor applications. it all hinges on where the cable modem/router is... is it inside the trailer, or outside ?
All the internet boosters I am familiar with, including my own, use an antenna with booster which feeds inside to a router. Mine works great boosting a weak internet signal. Handy for friends camping near too.

There could be other setups, but this is just what I am familiar with. I got my setup from www.jefatech.com/.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:18 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
All the internet boosters I am familiar with, including my own, use an antenna with booster which feeds inside to a router. Mine works great boosting a weak internet signal. Handy for friends camping near too.

There could be other setups, but this is just what I am familiar with. I got my setup from www.jefatech.com/.
except thats not what the OP has asked for, I don't think....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIndigo View Post
... Now I am parked on a private property where I have access to Comcast internet (I need it for work). Originally I thought I would use a hotspot at a campground, but I found this amazing place that's much better than a campground, and it comes with cable internet. My question is how to get the cable inside the trailer? ....

so again my question is, is he getting this connection via ethernet from a modem/router outside his trailer, or coax, and the modem/router will be inside the trailer? for the former, he would need an ethernet port, for the latter, a F type coax passthrough.

for ethernet, I do believe I would notch the bottom of the lid to a storage hatch, and run the ethernet cable through that notch and not even have an external ethernet jack. unplug the cable from wherever its going externally, roll it up securing the roll with a velcro table tie, and stuff it in the hatch for travel.