Help with some measurements - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #1

Help with some measurements

Hi all--

New here, but I've been reading all the posts diligently for past couple of weeks. This is my first post.

In thinking about certain mods, there are two measurements that would help me think things through.

First, on the 17 B: standing in front of the "closet with countertop" that's beside the door, what is its side-to-side length?

Then, on the 15 B, same question looking at its "closet with countertop" that's across the room from the door.

Thanks gang. Thinking about the possibilities for mods is extremely exciting -- I'm such a dreamer!!!

Sharon

Old 08-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Re: Help with some measurements

I'm not quite sure what you are asking for, but here are a couple for the 17B:

Cabinet countertop is 24" Wide X 23" deep
Cabinet top to bathroom door - 27.5"
Cabinet fact to bathroom door - 28.5"
Cabinet face to bathroom wall - 29.75"
Cabinet face to street side wall - 56.5"

Hope that covers it!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #3

Jon, yes, thank you. Nailed it all for me.

I have a couple more questions for you, if you don't mind, and no need for any tools (like a tape measure) for these:

1. Do any of the four seating benches have anything inside them that is is part of the trailer itself? (in the 19', the front driver side has something inside, like maybe a furnace--there are pipes under the sink--there is a big pipe apparatus in the bottom of the wardrobe, etc.). Can you tell me what structural stuff is under which bench(es) please.

2. With the benches themselves, is it a top-down thing where you get inside them by lifting the cushions out?

I really appreciate this. I love the Escape 17B and want very much to make it work out for me. Stay sober...

Sharon
Old 08-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Welcome to the forum, Sharon!

The benches have a piece of wood under the cushions which lifts along the floor side and is hinged along the window side.

As I recall, the 15' bed is actually bigger than the 17' bed which some may consider important.

Hope you get your Escape soon!
Cathy

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

On the driver side, at the rear, the bench box contains the water heater, pump and if you don't have the detachable AC power cord, it coils in there.

When I got my 17B Tammy recommended that I NOT store anything under that bench. You don't want to damage anything in there. I've not found that a problem. In fact, the one on the passenger side at the rear is half empty.

baglo
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I recommend getting the "Exterior Access Hatch" option added to the rear passenger side. It gives you outside access to the storage area under the passenger side.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho

On 17B with external shower there is an electrical junction box (maybe 4 x 4 in) and the external shower box and plumbing (maybe 10% of storage area volume) under the front driver's side bench seat.

I put external access doors for both of those areas as we leave the bunk beds always set up. They can put those doors on at the factory.

Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #8

Thanks Thane, and all, for the kind welcome and helpful info. Knowing outside hatches can be put in to get under the benches is splendid info.

My curiosity about measurements is because I'm looking to have a "petite" RV recliner chair bolted in. In the recline position, the one I like is 61" long plus 2 1/2 more inches away from the wall. In the 17 B, this is very doable with a few mods here and there. It will wipe out the entire front dinette, however. When not reclined, the chair is a mere 33" deep, so plenty of floor space for walking around.

Likewise, I'd like a permanent bed over the rear dinette. I have no need/use for a standard dining table in my trailer. I'll eat my meals on a tray, sprawled on the recliner. That's how I eat here at home anyway. I'll use a lap desk for computer, etc., as I do now. The bed I want in the rear dinette is a twin, and hopefully a little cradle thingy, maybe just at the 4 corners to keep the mattress in place, will do the trick. I've slept on a twin my entire life and see no reason to change. I'm strictly a "snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug" type person.

My Escape will be strictly a one-person outfit, with no concern for resale value. Of course, all of this is still a year or two down the road, and plans do change whether we want them to or not. But dreaming is good for the soul.

Sharon
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

Just a thought, But if you leave the front as is and use the single bed, in the rear you can have a recliner that does a 360 degree and have storage and wardrobe on the sides. This way you will have a panoramic view of the goings on. And all of your hi-tec goodies at a arms reach. Maybe even a pull down 60 in. HD 3D TV. screen If only I didn't get maried 37 years ago. :
Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #10

LOL. Well Devil Dog, it's like this: the front Dinette is only 30" deep and I want a for-real twin spring mattress which is 39" wide.

Now the back dinette is a glorious 49" inches deep, so maybe I can sneak a little shelf space out of that leftover 10" after the mattress goes down. The Escape designers are clever... we'll think of something.

You know, in a way, the 17 B I envision is really just a miniaturization of the room I occupy now, but on wheels and with a baby kitchen.

Sharon