Help with Thermal Window - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 08:58 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
How long are people waiting to get the window from Hehr, from the time a claim is submitted to Escape? Escape doesn’t seem to know for sure on timing other than it may take a while, just wondering how long people here have waited. Weeks or months?
Thanks
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Expectations

We bought Milgard windows when we built in 2000. Since then we only had one window fog and they replaced it under our lifetime warranty some ten-fifteen years ago. Recently a small bathroom window was showing corrosion between the panes so we called. Two months later(estimator first came by) the installers showed up today. Turns out the glass was not tinted as all the windows on the south side only are so we start over and it will probably be another two months.

Talking with them about RV dual panes they told me someone did a home built RV and used Milgard. They exploded at some point soon afterwards as they were not built to withstand extreme temperature and altitude variations. They also told me that their windows built after 2007 fail more easily to the the glue having been modified to comply with CA VOC Regs.

Hopefully you all will get the replacement windows before too long, however as I discovered they can be pretty slammed.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:30 AM   #43

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
How long are people waiting to get the window from Hehr, from the time a claim is submitted to Escape? Escape doesn’t seem to know for sure on timing other than it may take a while, just wondering how long people here have waited. Weeks or months?
Thanks
The kitchen windows seem to be sent out within a few weeks. I'm not sure why but the bathroom window for ours took from Feb 19th when Escape sent in the claim to last week to arrive. It's the exact same frame as the kitchen but with frosted glass.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:51 AM   #44

Thankyou, mine is the bathroom. I’m going to have a go at it myself when it arrives. Figured I learn it in case the kitchen one detaches. Really hoping it doesn’t take two months.
I’m surprised that Escape doesn’t send one on to me and just keep the replacement for themselves for future customer builds.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:31 AM   #45

Quote:
Thankyou, mine is the bathroom. I’m going to have a go at it myself when it arrives. Figured I learn it in case the kitchen one detaches. Really hoping it doesn’t take two months.
I’m surprised that Escape doesn’t send one on to me and just keep the replacement for themselves for future customer builds.
Here is what Reace sent me. It is easy to do the small windows.

"If there is sealant across the tops of your windows, we no longer apply this as it is not necessary. Once you have the old window out, simply wipe the area with a dry cloth and install the new window. Have someone hold the window in place from the outside and insert two screws across from each other (top and bottom or one on each side). Just tighten the first two screws about half way to hold the window in place. Then go outside and square the window up. Once you are happy with the position, install the rest of the screws half way, then go around and fully tighten all of the screws. That’s it…"

And here is how I did it.
To prepare the new window I wiped the inside of the new window frame with alcohol. Then I installed the gasket with the openings to the bottom like the original.
Remove the crank knob and the mounting frame from the inside of the old window. Pay attention to which way the frame goes on. On mine the bathroom one has the edges facing down. I decided to reuse the old kitchen frame . I could have drilled the holes for the blind knob mounts but chose to just reuse the old frame.
Mine had the caulk so I was able to remove the window by myself. It may seem to be stuck, all you need to do is try different areas along the sides and it will come loose. I did need to cut the caulk free from the window to do that.

Now you need to clean the old caulk off the top of the opening if yours had it. I used a single edge razor blade and carefully peeled it off. I then wiped the fiberglass with alcohol to clean it up a bit.

The bathroom window does not leave any marks so you will need to either do as Reace said and align it yourself or do as I did and leave marks around the old frame with a grease pencil and align it inside of those. The kitchen window is a bit easier because there is an obvious indentation all the way around it on the inside. Just install it inside of the marks.

Tighten the screws just to the point the two parts of the frame meet and you are done.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #46

Wow, thank you for the detailed instructions. That’s awesome. I got a very minimal list of instructions via email, not nearly as good as the ones you got from Reace. The only thing different would be the use of acetone where old caulk is placed. Maybe the more complete instructions would have come later. Believe you provided a great service by posting this.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #47

Quote:
Wow, thank you for the detailed instructions. That’s awesome. I got a very minimal list of instructions via email, not nearly as good as the ones you got from Reace. The only thing different would be the use of acetone where old caulk is placed. Maybe the more complete instructions would have come later. Believe you provided a great service by posting this.
When you get the new window look it over carefully. They went crazy with the sealant on the bathroom one and I needed to remove a few lumps of it from inside the frame before I stuck the foam seal on.
I am not sure if acetone is safe to use on the parts or on the trailer walls, I used alcohol. There was some dirt on the trailer after I removed the window and alcohol did a good job removing it.
When I used the razor blade it completely removed the old caulk. You may not even have it since he said they stopped using it.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #48

There is definitely caulking along the top. The alcohol seems to be the better approach over acetone and will use that instead. They did recommend acetone but might be a little harsh on the fiberglass.

Tags
thermal, thermal window