High altitude experience with ENO or Dickensen cooktops - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2021, 06:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
High altitude experience with ENO or Dickensen cooktops

We are having the dreaded broken pipe below our countertop with our Suburban SDS2 2 burner cooktop. Still trying to find ferrules/ flanges/ compression fittings that work to repair the problem.

At the moment we are considering the ENO 3 burner to be a replacement if we cannot repair the Suburban as the cutout is close the the existing hole. Both the ENO and Dickensen are marine stoves. We live at 4500 ft (that is 1500 m) and routinely camp to 9000 ft (3000 m). The Suburban stove has had no problems working at these elevations, and until last week did not leak either. Jim Bennett has stated that his Dickensen has no problems clear up to 1500 m, anyone have any real world experience with either marine stove higher than 4500 ft or 1500 m?
Old 08-26-2021, 08:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Mine is an old Atwood Wedgewood Vision LP gas drop-in cooktop DV-20(2013). Has served me well regardless of the elevation I camp in. It is a little clunky looking. I have occasionally thought I would replace it with a cooler looking, lower profile cooktop but always choked when I saw the prices. Atwood sold out to Dometic around 2016 so the product is renamed as a Dometic.

The Dometic drop-in cooktops all look pretty neat and seem reasonably priced compared to them Dickensons, which I conclude from reviews are the best. Went on the Dometic website and was stunned by the negative reviews posted. Reviews that stick out are the complaints revealing that their cooktops are not meant to function at altitudes above 4,500 feet. I am amazed by that.

My clunky looking old Atwood worked fine last week at 9,000 feet elevation.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Myron
I’ve found it good policy to “dance with the one that brung ya”. Since we’ve never had a problem with our 2013 stove top and other than being a slave to religious vintage fashion ( read that I wear clothes till they are holey), I see no reason to mess with something that’s working fine.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Myron
I’ve found it good policy to “dance with the one that brung ya”. Since we’ve never had a problem with our 2013 stove top and other than being a slave to religious vintage fashion ( read that I wear clothes till they are holey), I see no reason to mess with something that’s working fine.
Iowa Dave
Thanks for that Iowa Dave but the one that we brung was trying to blow us up. We are looking for a replacement in what is considered replacement stoves
Old 08-26-2021, 12:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sorry if I offended you. I was posting in the vein of Myron who although he liked newer modern looks, couldn’t justify changing. It is indeed discouraging when problems develop with a newer product and positive responses from the manufacturer and trailer builder haven’t been forthcoming from what I can tell.
Hopefully you’ll get it all figured out.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Guess I must be lucky, Dave. Right up to last week my biggest problem is the LED bulb I put in the porch light always waits until I'm asleep before it decides to light. Just dust in the wind, I guess.