Hitch to tow a 21NE? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #1

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Hitch to tow a 21NE?

What type hitch and accesories, other than a class 3 with 7 pin plug, is needed to tow a 21NE? What does Escape do if that's what you come with to Sumas with to pick up your trailer?
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the hitch height is 19" to ball top, but depending on your suspension it may drop. I recommend an adjustable 2" ball mount that if needed can be raised or lowered.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe the hitch height is 19" to ball top, but depending on your suspension it may drop. I recommend an adjustable 2" ball mount that if needed can be raised or lowered.
So it is a 2 inch ball size for the hitch? I also am getting a high lift axle.

I must have a half dozen ball mounts around. Maybe I should collect them! I don't have one of those adjustable ones though. Good idea.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:55 AM   #4

Yes 2" ball, I have at least a half dozen stingers in my garage of varying height, but the adjustable one makes them all obsolete. Not sure if the hi lift option raises the frame or just the body? The factory will be able to tell you....
Old 06-15-2020, 11:33 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
You will need to have your brake controller installed. Bring a socket and torque wrench for the wheels along with a short extension.

Other items are vehicle dependent. You might want a weight distribution hitch - I don't use one and have no issues so far.

I wouldn't count on ETI doing anything in Sumas other than handing you the keys. They did hook it up to our vehicle but the vehicle was ready to go. I had thought long and hard about making sure I was 100% prepared because if you discover you have a problem and cannot pull the trailer, it's on you to resolve it. I always like to have a "plan B" but there really isn't one - ETI isn't going to take it back to storage. The ideal would be to find someone with an identical trailer and hook it up and test the lights, brakes, etc. My vehicle needed a mod to the trailer due to the LED tail lights (not enough load to detect the trailer is attached). I also had to raise my ball height from where I had it for my older trailer.
daniel108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post
You will need to have your brake controller installed. Bring a socket and torque wrench for the wheels along with a short extension.

Other items are vehicle dependent. You might want a weight distribution hitch - I don't use one and have no issues so far.

I wouldn't count on ETI doing anything in Sumas other than handing you the keys. They did hook it up to our vehicle but the vehicle was ready to go. I had thought long and hard about making sure I was 100% prepared because if you discover you have a problem and cannot pull the trailer, it's on you to resolve it. I always like to have a "plan B" but there really isn't one - ETI isn't going to take it back to storage. The ideal would be to find someone with an identical trailer and hook it up and test the lights, brakes, etc. My vehicle needed a mod to the trailer due to the LED tail lights (not enough load to detect the trailer is attached). I also had to raise my ball height from where I had it for my older trailer.
Socket and torque wrench are no problem, except I am not sure I have one that will torque my lug nuts to spec. Need one.

I should be set. F150 with the Ford tow package when bought. But yes, it would be nice to check it with someone's 21.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
What type hitch and accesories, other than a class 3 with 7 pin plug, is needed to tow a 21NE? What does Escape do if that's what you come with to Sumas with to pick up your trailer?
If you planning on getting the WDH from escape all you need to do is tell them your receiver height. They will set everything up .

If you going set up yourself I am told with high lift top of ball is 21 1/2". you may want to confirm that.

also some of the WDH require a torque wrench in 400-600lbd range
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
If you planning on getting the WDH from escape all you need to do is tell them your receiver height. They will set everything up .
If you going set up yourself I am told with high lift top of ball is 22 1/2". you may want to confirm that.
also some of the WDH require a torque wrench in 400-600lbd range
Torque to 400-600 lbs is way out of my league! I doubt we'll go with the WDH.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Torque to 400-600 lbs is way out of my league! I doubt we'll go with the WDH.
The husky i was looking at was only 350lbs of torque .husky 32215 center line. I got looking at it you need like a 5 foot torque wrench to do that. I think the wrench will cost as much as the hitch.thats why I mentioned have the fastway e2 installed at escape.

My self I am waiting until I get to tow the trailer with out WDH before I decide. Of course first tow will be 4,000 miles. two reason why i waiting . The weight of the WHD will take 100lbs off my cargo in my truck witch is already low. The second is it be nice to have the power jack with the WHD But that would take even more off my cargo. so i can save 150lbs or so off the trailer tongue weight with out it. of course i have no idea how the trailer will tow without it. i may have to add it down the road.

For most people the best way and also very reasonable is to purchase the escape E2 and let them set it up.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:03 PM   #10

You do not mention what you tow vehicle is?
Old 06-25-2020, 12:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Socket and torque wrench are no problem, except I am not sure I have one that will torque my lug nuts to spec. Need one.

I should be set. F150 with the Ford tow package when bought. But yes, it would be nice to check it with someone's 21.
For the torque wrench, Harbor Freight makes an inexpensive one with the right range. I figure lug nuts don't require a lot of precision in measurement or ratchet intervals, so it's more than good enough.

For the hitch.. a 175lb person standing on the end of a a 2' breaker bar will do in a pinch, but about any trailer or RV shop will tighten it down for cheap or free.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #12
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
We picked up our 2020 E21 NE in Chilliwack BC from ETI about 2.5 weeks ago. We ordered the E2 Fastway Integrated Sway Control WDHitch with the trailer. You do not require a torque wrench with 600/700 ft/lb capacity.

Specific instructions from ETI for trailer pickup were as follows:

The procedure should take about one hour.
We will not be providing a detailed orientation on the systems. We recommend advance viewing our ‘orientation videos’ available to you on our website https://escapetrailer.com Another option is to watch our Live Stream. Please go to our website and press the tab ‘Get Started’, scroll down to ‘Live Stream’ and you’ll see the next Live Stream Orientation.
We will prepare your hitch (if you have ordered one), but we will need a dimension from the bottom inside surface of your hitch receiver to level ground. Please see attached photo for reference.
All Tow Vehicles must be ready for Hookup prior to orientation appointment
Your tow vehicle will require:
Wiring for 7 pin RV plug
Brake controller
Class III Hitch installation or 5th wheel Hitch installation

You will require a 1/2 INCH DRIVE torque wrench with 95-100 foot/pound capability PLUS a 6 point 13/16 inch deep socket. The torque wrench/socket are required so you can check/tighten the wheel nuts on your trailer every 100 miles or so for the first 300 miles.

If you have any questions contact: Dave and/or Dustin at:
partsandservice@escapetrailer.com or 604 703 1650 ext 117/118

When you arrive at Escape, your trailer will be positioned in the front parking lot for collection.

The new process for your arrival:
Come to our office on 43851 Industrial Way, Chilliwack
Park in visitors parking out front
Register with reception
View your new Escape
Settle your final payment
Hitch up and drive away
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
“You will require a 1/2 INCH DRIVE torque wrench with 95-100 foot/pound capability PLUS a 6 point 13/16 inch deep socket. The torque wrench/socket are required so you can check/tighten the wheel nuts on your trailer every 100 miles or so for the first 300 miles.“

Just curious how many folks picking up trailers actuallly did this? That would have put us stopping in Seattle traffic to check lugs. We checked them first day or two at lunch breaks or overnight but did not do the above. We never found any lug nuts that needed torquing on our checks but it is a good practice to check them before towing even years later as part of your prep.

Certainly won’t hurt, but can’t imagine this every 100 mi for 300 deal is actually happening.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #14

Far better to err on caution than the alternative.............
Old 06-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Agree, but was just curious if it is actually being done by most.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #16
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Just curious how many folks picking up trailers actuallly did this? That would have put us stopping in Seattle traffic to check lugs. We checked them first day or two at lunch breaks or overnight but did not do the above.
I really doubt ETI expects you to come to a screeching halt in the middle of traffic in Seattle. As mentioned "every 100 miles or so...".

When we picked our trailer up, I checked them at ETI before we left (they were fine), at the ferry terminal in Tsawwassen BC (110km/70miles) and finally once we got home (90kms/55miles).

At the ferry terminal, I found 8-9 of lug nuts needed tightening, and once home, 3-4 needed tightening once again.

It's a guide to the wise, not an absolute. Kinda like not exceeding your tow vehicle and your trailer GVW or your combined totals. Not a good plan for the wise.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Agree, but was just curious if it is actually being done by most.
When I checked on my arrival at the KOA in Lyndam where I stayed 2 nites, they all took about a half turn to bring them to 100lb. After that first time, they only took a tick or two on the wrench when I check.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post

My self I am waiting until I get to tow the trailer with out WDH before I decide.
The problem with that is you don't have anything to compare it to. For those of us that have towed many miles with and without a WDH I've yet to hear anyone say "oh it's much better without the WDH". Whether you need one is another (endless) discussion.

Picked up my 19 with my Ranger, plug and play and away you go. Picked up my 21 with the F150 and hooked up. No functioning tail lights. Bit of a shock because the 19 lights worked fine with it. ETI has a rig that they can plug into the 7 pin connector and test all the trailer lights. They worked fine. So it was off to the Ford dealer since the truck is on warranty. Turned out to be a minor problem easily fixed. So, yes, if you've not used the trailer connection on the truck testing it before you arrive at ETI" do so. Last minute surprises are no fun.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:54 PM   #19

I have towed both with and without w/d and to be honest I feel safer with one. I remember an incident out west where a gust of wind pushed both the tow vehicle and trailer over one lane before I could do anything. Fortunately there was nothing in the lane but the w/d kept me straight. I would not like to see that happen without a w/d set up. I'm looking to purchase one or refurbish a used Andersen set up. That said for towing intra-state I would not, but out of state, yes.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #20

I check my lug nuts on trailers a lot. When we had the Parkliner, I checked the lug nuts every stop till I could not tighten them anymore. Every time I stopped I would also check my hub temps. Never had a problem.

Frank