Hitchfire Grill - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2022, 08:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Hitchfire Grill

I just saw an interesting grill setup attached to the back of an SUV on the freeway. It's a receiver mount gas grill with a swingarm to extend it away from the vehicle while cooking.

It's called a Hitchfire forge 15. Based on the reviews it sounds well built and cooks well. They even advertise a quick connect kit.

The big downside is the price. It starts at over $500.

I'd already decided against mounting the bike rack back there because of the bounce. Seems like a grill is a pretty low weight item that would do fine attached to the receiver of my 21 and would not change weight and balance much.

I was curious if any forum members have mounted one of these or something similar on the back of their trailers.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have to ask why?

With the bouncing back there, I wouldn't transport it mounted in the receiver and I wouldn't want to have to cook at the back of my trailer.
I want my BBQ near the picnic table where all the other outdoor kitchen elements would be.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor kitchen - 1.jpg  
Old 05-07-2022, 12:51 AM   #3

The mount looks pretty rigid. The reviews I saw had it installed on an overlanding rig where it definitely interfered with departure angles as they off-roaders, but the mount sure seemed sturdy. It's made by the guys that started Tepui roof tents, so I suspect it's a quality product.

Your point about cooking location is well taken and I think the big problem--much of the time, I have the trailer jammed into the back of a campsite close to brush. Even with the ability to expand and swing the mount out to the corner of the trailer, it would still be well away from the picnic table and the door.

I'm just getting tired of hauling the greasy Weber Q around in my tow vehicle and liked the idea of a semi permanent installation.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:59 AM   #4

My Napoleon grill rides in the aisle. It's last in and first out. I don't have a problem with smell, but it might be that I can't smell.
I watched as much of the video as I could, on mute. When the host opened a bottle of Corona Lite, I had to leave.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I like the idea but not the price.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:04 PM   #6

I think I'm going to just get a better travel bag for the Weber Q and call it a day. Part of the problem is that I repurposed an old duffle bag that requires wrestling the greasy grill every time I put it away.
Old 05-07-2022, 02:04 PM   #7

How does it get greasy?
Old 05-07-2022, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How does it get greasy?
Residual mess left after wiping it down. We use it for griddling during breakfast as well and bacon spatters everywhere.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
We put ours in a large IKEA bag. It’s a snug fit but works well and it’s sturdy.
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I like the idea but not the price.
I could do the poor-woman's version: my cargo rack, bolt the Coleman stove on so it isn't easily stolen, put a holder in for a propane tank (I have a couple of half-size ones), and I'd be set, although it seems like that would be a little low.. maybe need a way to elevate it.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
I could do the poor-woman's version: my cargo rack, bolt the Coleman stove on so it isn't easily stolen, put a holder in for a propane tank (I have a couple of half-size ones), and I'd be set, although it seems like that would be a little low.. maybe need a way to elevate it.
I’ve thought about getting a hitch mount cargo rack. I like the idea for carrying the grill and/or the occasional times when we’re carrying a generator for dry camping in the woods and solar doesn’t work. What’s stopped meis concerns about bounce and fear of causing a crash when an unsecured weber grill (with it’s non-flat lid) coming loose on the road.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
I have a cargo rack and carry a grill,cooler, three step ladder and entry step on it.

I secure it all with quality rubber bungees. Nothing moves. I don’t want to make the news.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
I have a cargo rack and carry a grill,cooler, three step ladder and entry step on it.

I secure it all with quality rubber bungees. Nothing moves. I don’t want to make the news.
My idea would be to have it all ready to use, bolted onto the rack no movement, but able to start cooking with no setup.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:20 PM   #14

Quote:
My idea would be to have it all ready to use, bolted onto the rack no movement, but able to start cooking with no setup.
After you put it all back together? I'd bring a tool kit.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdestiny View Post
I just saw an interesting grill setup attached to the back of an SUV on the freeway. It's a receiver mount gas grill with a swingarm to extend it away from the vehicle while cooking.

It's called a Hitchfire forge 15. Based on the reviews it sounds well built and cooks well. They even advertise a quick connect kit.

The big downside is the price. It starts at over $500.

I'd already decided against mounting the bike rack back there because of the bounce. Seems like a grill is a pretty low weight item that would do fine attached to the receiver of my 21 and would not change weight and balance much.

I was curious if any forum members have mounted one of these or something similar on the back of their trailers.
I ended up picking up one of their F20 grills with RV quick connect kit their black Friday sale. It is well built and does the job. Well made and very sturdy. I don't regret the purchase because of the convenience, but it was still spendy for what it is, even on sale. Pic of the grill on the trailer: https://flic.kr/p/2oPbZeh