Honda 2000i cant run A/C on our 21 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
After much Internet searching we bought a Honda 2200i to run our AC when needed. Much to our disgust, it would not run the AC in our 2011 '19. ('fridge on propane and hot water off.)

Bought and installed a MicroAir easy-start. Now the generator will run the AC, we're cool and happy. The AC is a lot quieter starting up also.
I have the Yamaha EF2400iSHC and it runs the A/C in our 21 without problems. "This model boasts High Current output which is designed specifically to increase motor starting capability and to improve air conditioner starting. This High Current model starts most high efficiency 13,500 btu AC in temperatures up to 110° F." (from Yamaha website)

Of course, the hot water heater / fridge are on propane while on the generator.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Odd. My 2000i runs the ac fine in my 21. Start up is fairly easy too, less rpms than the microwave.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Ouch! I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but the low voltage condition that the surge protector was tripping on while on generator could cause the A/C compressor to fail due to high amps and longer startup times.

If the A/C won't run with the surge protector enabled, I would reduce the trailer load somehow or get a bigger generator.

Replacing the A/C compressor can get expensive.
I just picked up my trailer and I am pretty sure I was told during orientation to turn off the surge protector with the generator. I could be wrong about that as I am a complete newbie to all of this.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
I just picked up my trailer and I am pretty sure I was told during orientation to turn off the surge protector with the generator. I could be wrong about that as I am a complete newbie to all of this.
You are correct. In ETI orientation video 21 Reace mentioned turning off EMS while using a generator due to portable generators having no proper grounding, from 6:38 - 7:15.

viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
One way to take advantage of the volt meter built into the Progressive Industries EMS is to make a bonding plug & put it in the other half of the receptacle on the generator. The bonding plug ties the neutral (silver) connection to the ground (green). Easy to make your own, or purchase.

The plug fools the EMS in to thinking there is a ground so you can leave it on.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #26

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Seems like running A/C on a 2000 or 2200 watt generator is hit or miss. I have a cheapie 2200 watt generator (1800 w continuous in theory) that will not run the A/C on my 19. All other AC breakers are turned off so the A/C is the only load. So, looks like I will go with a MicroAire when I am stationary enough to do the installation. Really don't want to lug anything bigger/heavier than a 2200 watt genset.

Oh, and, do NOT disable the surge protector... it is there for a reason. Low voltage can toast your A/C compressor.
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
One way to take advantage of the volt meter built into the Progressive Industries EMS is to make a bonding plug & put it in the other half of the receptacle on the generator. The bonding plug ties the neutral (silver) connection to the ground (green). Easy to make your own, or purchase.

The plug fools the EMS in to thinking there is a ground so you can leave it on.
I did this but it did not help the 2000i start the A/C. It did stop the E2 error code.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Question... When I climb up there to install the Micro-Air Easy Start... How much weight will my 19'er tolerate. I assume I'll need to at least put some of my body weight on the roof while accessing the A/C unit.

Thank you, in advance, for your advice.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 21
I took off my shoes and tried to stay on corners and away from the larger flat areas while on all 4s.
I weight around 160 lbs. and my 21 seems to not mind me crawling around on her head.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Different trailer but I've sat kind of side saddle towards the sides on mine without a problem. 2xx lbs.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
Microaire

I just installed one on our 17B. I leaned the stepladder on the side of the trailer with a towel under it and leaned over on my elbows. It seems to have worked out just fine. Howard
Old 07-03-2019, 02:20 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Odd how things differ between gens and trailers. Our honda 2200 starts/run the a/c in our 5.0 ta just fine. Just the “stock” ac unit from escape.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #33

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Thanks for this very useful reply to an important question. I've ordered the device from Micro-aire this morning.
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:47 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
The reason that the surge protector will not reset while using a generator is because it is wired differently than a standard outlets.

In a home the neutral and ground are bonded in the breaker panel. This is not true in a generator. To fix this situation you simply need to make a bonding plug by taking a standard three prong 15 amp plug and wire between the neutral and the ground. Then plug it into the spare outlet on the generator.

This ends up bonding the neutral and ground just the same as standard house wiring.
SkipperClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold)
I learned two things when running our A/C on the Honda 2000. First, it won't start the compressor when it's in eco mode. Second, the head pressure, and thus the current draw, continues to increase as the compressor runs. So we set the thermostat up a bit to let the compressor turn off once in awhile. And third (I know), our thermostat delays the compressor start until a few seconds after the fan starts. Don't know if they all do that. With all this, our A/C is happy running all afternoon.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #36

Trailer: 2019 Casita SD
Honda 2200 will start my 9,000 BTU AC

I just bought one of the new Honda 2200 watt generators to pair up with our new Casita 17. Our AC is the AirCell 47000 series 9,000 BTU model. The 2200 Honda was able to start the AC in Eco mode without a problem.

I tested the current draw using a Kill-A-Watt P3 meter between the Honda and the trailer. The ambient temperature was 88 degrees.

I started the Honda, switched to Eco Mode, and sequentially engaged the converter, refrigerator and the AC. The converter alone drew 3.6 amps; adding the 5 cu ft refrigerator added 0.6 amps The total current draw upon engaging the AC was 14.2 amps. Within ten minutes the current draw dropped to 4.6 amps and remained at that point for the remainder of the test. I repeated the test the next day with identical results.

Each time, the Honda genny ran this load on 16 oz of gasoline for a total of 1/2 hour until it stopped, out of fuel.

Questions: Why did the amperage drop so radically after ten minutes? And does the gasoline consumption seem normal?
Dkeen673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:55 AM   #37

Trailer: 2018 21
I would guess that the temp selected in the thermostat was reached and the compressor shut off.
MyA/C will pull about 4 amps when only the fan is running.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape 5.0 (sold)
I agree. The compressor was not running. When I tested mine with a Kill-a-watt, the Wattmeter showed a steady increase up to about 1500 Watts over about 20 minutes. That’s near the limit so I stopped the test.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:52 AM   #39

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlNH View Post
Oh, and, do NOT disable the surge protector... it is there for a reason. Low voltage can toast your A/C compressor.
I believe a generator will naturally exhibit a low voltage condition as the engine rpm drops when running out of fuel. Airstream owners talk about this on their forum. The Progressive Industries HW30C EMS will cut power at 104V. This would act to protect the A/C. Easy enough to keep the EMS active with a neutral bonding plug in the unused receptacle of the gen. If you don't have an EMS or you put your EMS in bypass to avoid the E2 Open Ground error I would be conscious to not let the gen run out of fuel with the A/C running.

https://www.microair.net/products/ge...12272654155860
Old 07-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
If you've purchased a fairly recent Escape trailer (our's was purchased in Dec 2018), the a/c unit is slightly different than in the video in post #3. The green board on which the blue wire is connected is no longer there. But not to worry. When working with the BLUE WIRE, just clip it in half, bind the now two ends to the black wire coming from the Easy Start and you're good to go.

Of course, this will make absolutely no sense unless you watch the video and have a newer Dometic a/c unit.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote