honda 2200i/2200i companion pairing - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #41

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Are you telling me after all these years your name isn't really Donna?
Old 08-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Are you telling me after all these years your name isn't really Donna?
hahahaha, one out of three (names) may be correct Or might not.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #43

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In the 1970s I worked for a direct marketing company. You know, those junk mail people. Public utilities were selling your info even nearly 50 years ago. Every time you use a credit card, buy on eBay, vote, turn on a light in your house, drive down the road... you are being tracked and tracking often means selling info. Some you can control, most you cannot. I purposely do not use my 'real' name anywhere on the WWW. Facebook may track Donna Dee and sell her info, but it won't link back to me. Those ridiculous games on Facebook? I purposely lie, kinda fun.

Doubtful 99% of people even read the Terms of Service when they signup for anything, including discount cards for grocery stores/gas cards.

All true. Well, mostly. The data links go even deeper than you think. I guarantee you that Donna D.’s secret identity is not a secret. Ever seen an unrestricted LexisNexis file, above LEO access levels? And that’s only legally obtained public data. And but the tip of the iceberg.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #44

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
who cares?

I use google but none of the others. I could not possibly care less about who knows or doesn't know whatever about me unless someone shows up at the farm to sell me something.

Still wouldn't be very upset by that. I do like a good sales pitch!
Old 08-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Ever seen an unrestricted LexisNexis file, above LEO access levels?
I have actually. My EX was a paralegal for a well-known defense attorney in Portland, Oregon. I'm not going to continue going with this 'theme.' I just think it's important for people to know, there's no place to hide. That went away several decades ago, as soon as computers became mainstream. The best you can do, is the best you can do... and monitor what info about yourself the best you can.

Practice safe computing....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #46

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
I use google but none of the others. I could not possibly care less about who knows or doesn't know whatever about me unless someone shows up at the farm to sell me something.

Still wouldn't be very upset by that. I do like a good sales pitch!

How about your insurance company changing your rates or dropping your coverage based on info that you would probably consider private? Or criminals knowing your pattern of life and all manner of personal details, enabling them to exploit you both digitally and physically? Google knows things about you that likely no one but you does, including your spouse.

Donna is absolutely right. It’s important to practice good cyber hygiene, just as it’s good to practice good physical security. The trouble is that most people still don’t understand what that is or how to do it.

The usage of all manner of data today goes far beyond people trying to sell you things.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #47

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
How about your insurance company changing your rates or dropping your coverage based on info that you would probably consider private? Or criminals knowing your pattern of life and all manner of personal details, enabling them to exploit you both digitally and physically? Google knows things about you that likely no one but you does, including your spouse.

Donna is absolutely right. It’s important to practice good cyber hygiene, just as it’s good to practice good physical security. The trouble is that most people still don’t understand what that is or how to do it.

The usage of all manner of data today goes far beyond people trying to sell you things.
What I said before