Honda 2200i stalls - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Honda 2200i stalls

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions in early July regarding the Honda 2200i inverter generator. I purchased one shortly thereafter and took it with us on our recent trip to Yellowstone NP. Prior to leaving I ran it for a few hours to help break it in.

I do not have a soft-start installed (but have one on order) and although I was pretty sure from the information I had that the Honda 2200i would not run the A/C on my Escape 19 (standard Dometec), it was so hot for a few days (103F) that I had to give it a try.

I was surprised that at 8500 ft in altitude that the 2200i did start the AC and the generator would run anywhere from 20 to sometimes 35 minutes, but then it would stall. So we were very grateful that we could get the AC to run (we have it set for continuous fan), but somewhat concerned that the generator would stall. It would run fine if we waited a bit before starting again. We usually waited 20 to 40 minutes after a stall to run it again after initially trying to restart immediately, which was not always successful (it would stall again in less than a minute). I was using regular (no ethanol) gas and the tank was full and running in regular (not eco) mode.

Any thoughts as to why it stalls? Is it the altitude or lack of a soft-start or both?
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 11:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Have you checked the oil level? You might be right on the edge of having enough oil and the unit is equipped with a low oil shutoff. This happened to us once with a Honda engine on a pressure washer. The guys pulled on the start rope till they were exhausted. They finally called me and I went to the job site. I asked if they had checked the oil. The smart ass guy asked what that had to do with it? The other guy knew the rules about checking the oil and just looked at his shoes. I opened the cap, low oil. I just stared at them and said, it’s your break, be back in 15 minutes with a quart of oil. They were and we finished the job. When I retired the quiet one told me it was one of the best lessons he ever learned. I never yelled at them, just the stare was enough.
The soft start will not fail the engine, just kick out the EMS I believe, at least that’s what it did on ours.
Good luck
Iowa Dave
Old 08-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post

I was surprised that at 8500 ft in altitude that the 2200i did start the AC and the generator would run anywhere from 20 to sometimes 35 minutes, but then it would stall. So we were very grateful that we could get the AC to run (we have it set for continuous fan), but somewhat concerned that the generator would stall. It would run fine if we waited a bit before starting again. We usually waited 20 to 40 minutes after a stall to run it again after initially trying to restart immediately, which was not always successful (it would stall again in less than a minute). I was using regular (no ethanol) gas and the tank was full and running in regular (not eco) mode.
Unless you changed it the generator comes stock with a jet designed to operate from sea level to 2000 ft. At Yellowstone the generator was running extremely rich. I'm actually surprised you were able to restart it as the spark plug must have been soaked.

PCI54675-B Carburetor Jetting for High Elevation

In 2018 at Yellowstone, I had the same problem with a newly purchased Predator 3500. The spark arrester would get clogged and I had purchased a second spark plug to switch out and clean the other one. At the time I was clueless to knowing it needed different jetting for high altitude. Now that I know it needed a different carburetor jet it all make sense. At the time it was frustrating not knowing why it was acting that way.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:26 PM   #4
DT6

Great information from both of you - thank you! I did double-check the oil level and it seems fine. I barely - and I mean barely - tilt the generator and oil comes out on the lip below the opening which is what the salesman told me he does with his. He said that was a better way to verify the oil level is okay rather than the dip stick attached to the cap.

Regarding the carb jet replacement, wow. Looking at those charts regarding elevation vs. power, I'm surprised it started the AC at all. A whole new can of worms with elevation issue. I know of a lot of trips we take out west where there are substantial elevation changes. I'm planning to install a tri-fuel modification to it so I can run gas, natural gas, or propane.

What I need to ask Honda, or a local dealer (thanks for the link BTW) is if you run on propane, is the modified jet needed or is that something that is replaced with the tri-fuel kit. Once I get that installed and tested, I'll post results on the forum but not likely until the end of summer.

This will also help me at home when the power goes out as I have a natural gas fitting on the back porch for the grill. So at home at least, I'll never have to worry about filling it up to keep it running. I also like the propane option as I carry two propane tank spares in addition to the two on the trailer, mostly so we can run our propane fire pit. We seem to have a lot of no-fire zones with all of the wildfires out here but we are allowed to have a propane fire pit in most places, but that is a separate issue/topic.

Thanks again!
Old 08-01-2021, 10:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 E19
Gas cap vent?

Is there a gas cap "vent lever" on the e2200i like there is on my e2000i?

Is it open?

Just a thought.................
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post

Is it open?

Bingo. Done that.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Regarding the carb jet replacement, wow. Looking at those charts regarding elevation vs. power, I'm surprised it started the AC at all. A whole new can of worms with elevation issue. I know of a lot of trips we take out west where there are substantial elevation changes. I'm planning to install a tri-fuel modification to it so I can run gas, natural gas, or propane.

What I need to ask Honda, or a local dealer (thanks for the link BTW) is if you run on propane, is the modified jet needed or is that something that is replaced with the tri-fuel kit. Once I get that installed and tested, I'll post results on the forum but not likely until the end of summer.
Bear in mind you will lose some power when running on propane. If you are already on the edge with gas at higher altitudes you may exacerbate your issue. Thankfully the kits like Hutch Mountain allow an easy switch back and forth.
Attached Thumbnails
44A38C04-E0E7-436D-ACB3-0E702291268C.jpg  
Old 08-01-2021, 10:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Bingo. Done that.

I will neither confirm, nor deny, such occurrence ever happening................

Old 08-01-2021, 10:57 PM   #9

Quote:

.................is the modified jet needed or is that something that is replaced with the tri-fuel kit.

For propane & NG - No, there is an adjustment for the propane/NG included with the propane / NG conversion - varies by manufacture.

For higher elevations on gasoline - Yes

You are not using the carb "mixture" function at all for propane & NG
Old 08-02-2021, 06:40 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Look at the Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit. Easy to install and switches back and forth (propane/gas) with flip of switch.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post

Is it open?

That would explain the 20 minute run time. Also why it was able to restart, and not completely fouled since it would be running fuel starved.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:50 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
There is a vent cap on/off. This can also be deceiving when the owner says “I can’t be out of gas can I?. So they screw the fuel cap off and look . Nope, plenty of fuel and collaterally, equalization of pressure in the tank, and it runs again, for a while. I’ve seen this happen and if there is a tiny air leak in the cap seal,
It will allow equalization in time. Lots of variables here.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-02-2021, 09:00 AM   #13

This may help...if not for the OP maybe someone else down the line
Attached Thumbnails
EU2200i diagnostics.JPG  
Old 08-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #14

Trailer: 2012 E19
My first thought was, perhaps a dirty fuel filter. But that would probably show symptoms much quicker than 20 minutes, so it's not too likely.

I hope you can get your Honda out of the stall. Stalls are for horses, not generators.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #15
DT6

I did check the cap - it is a great suggestion and a very easy thing to miss if you are not careful. The cap has a switch on top On or Off, although it is possible it is not working correctly. It is a brand new generator with less than 6 hours of run time.

I ordered the Soft-Start for the AC, so once that it installed the loss of power to propane will likely be fine. I appreciate the suggestions on fuel accessories.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
The Genconnex propane conversion offers a high altitude orifice (5 - 9k feet) for both propane and natural gas.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:58 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I'm currently yard-testing my Wen 2350 generator with the Dometic 11,000 btu after some 16 months of not using it. Have run into a similar "stall" problem that's new to me. I am at 6700 ft. altitude, have the high altitude jet and the Micro-air easy start installed. Everything works, except for after 15 minutes good run time a repetitive "stalling," into the overload position, every 5 minutes, and I have to hit the reset button.

My last few gallons of Ethanol free gas are about 16 months old. Hope that's the problem.

Lessons learned so far:
  • Users manual says it runs better on Ethanol gas but I can't get Ethanol free gas anywhere around here anymore.
  • User manual says do not use gas containing more than 10% Ethanol and a minimum 87 octane rating.
  • At elevations above 7000 feet the engine may experience decrease in performance even with the proper altitude kit.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I'm currently yard-testing my Wen 2350 generator with the Dometic 11,000 btu after some 16 months of not using it. Have run into a similar "stall" problem that's new to me. I am at 6700 ft. altitude, have the high altitude jet and the Micro-air easy start installed. Everything works, except for after 15 minutes good run time a repetitive "stalling," into the overload position, every 5 minutes, and I have to hit the reset button.

My last few gallons of Ethanol free gas are about 16 months old. Hope that's the problem.

Lessons learned so far:
  • Users manual says it runs better on Ethanol gas but I can't get Ethanol free gas anywhere around here anymore.
  • User manual says do not use gas containing more than 10% Ethanol and a minimum 87 octane rating.
  • At elevations above 7000 feet the engine may experience decrease in performance even with the proper altitude kit.
I had the same problem with my Honda 2000 a few years back. Run for about 10 min and simply quit. I was in our NC place at the time and took it to a local honda dealer. He took care of it in about 1 hour and it ran fine. Said he 'tuned it up'. Remember when we used to do that to our cars?

Plugs, points and assorted gizmotchies.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Wed Aug 11. Looks like I have outsmarted myself, once again, Ranger. (Practical steps and thoughts in the hunt for why with AC these smaller generators will stall.)

Bought oil, 87 octane 10% Ethanol. (nearby Phillips station. $3.09/gallon) Drain old oil, replace with 5-30 synthetic. Gen fires up on old gas, runs for 40 seconds then shuts down in a big puff of smoke. Refuses to restart. Pull cord now jammed.

Drain all old gas and carburetor. What to do? Pull cord remains jammed/inop. Did I kill the thing?

Read manual. Open up panel to spark arrestor in back of gen, remove and clean out metal filter screen with a wire brush, Wipe out black carbon deposits, reassemble. Old gas dumped, new gas in. Engine now starts with mild reluctance. Phew! We have victory, I think.

Will it now be normal - and run my trailer air conditioner? No.

After running half an hour gen suddenly cuts down to overload mode again, trailer AC shuts down. Same-o-same-o. This Wen claims a running surge level of 1800 watts, and 19oo running watts. Really thought it would handle the AC. Not!

This is what wishful thinking gets you. So I scour manual now. Oh, my 11,000 BTU requires a 3.5 KW unit, which is 3500 watts. How did I miss that? Other lesson learned: keep your spark arrestor screens clean.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
This Wen claims a running surge level of 1800 watts, and 19oo running watts. Really thought it would handle the AC. Not!
Claimed surge is 2350 watts for your model. I’m surprised you have had issues especially with the Microair EasyStart. Something doesn’t seem right. Maybe with the jetting the power output is somehow compromised?