Hooking up camp stove and BBQ to the quick connect propane outlet. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0 "Day Break"
I us a camp chef, and it came with a regulator and hose. I ordered the hose to connect it to my camper and installed it with out the regulator. I hooked it to my camper and it works great!

I did get a small surprise when it would not light the first time, and then realized that I forgot to turn the Shut Of Valve (SOV) on. I opened the SOV all the way open at the connection, and it worked as advertised.

Love it.
itoddday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Only for driving, and since I can see daylight at the bottom corner of the door seal, I figure propane has an escape route.
It is actually kind of funny that you bring this up. I had recently noticed that I could also see light out the bottom of my door. I went out and bought a roll of adhesive backed foam and stuck a small piece under the weather stripping on the door, and voila, the outside light could no longer be seen. A couple of days later, my wife called me at work to tell me that the propane detector alarm had gone off with the trailer parked beside the house. When she opened the door, the alarm stopped. She cracked a side window and the alarm hasn't gone off since. Hmmm??

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Maybe the door is a safety device.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:13 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... since I can see daylight at the bottom corner of the door seal, I figure propane has an escape route.
That's called a "feature".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We have our Weber Q and our Campfire in a Can adapted to fit the quick connect - works great.
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:23 AM   #26

Since both of those are popular items, perhaps you could post detail on what you needed to do to get them to work with the low-pressure quick connect.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
We have our Weber Q and our Campfire in a Can adapted to fit the quick connect - works great.
Quote:
Since both of those are popular items, perhaps you could post detail on what you needed to do to get them to work with the low-pressure quick connect.
I note from the manual available from Weber that, although the Q's regulator is attached directly to the grill, it is separate from the control valve and delivers gas at 11 inches of water column (the standard low pressure). As long as the regulator's connection to the control is a common pipe thread, the regulator (with one-pound cylinder connector) could be removed and replaced with just a hose with a quick-connect on the end.

The Campfire in a Can has a regulator on the end of its hose, which is simply unscrewed and replaced with the fitting for the quick-connect, according to the document provided by the manufacturer at a link provided in their FAQ.

Is that what was done, Dave&Kathie?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #28

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
That is exactly what I did with my Weber Q..took off the regulator and installed a quick connect fitting for connecting to the trailer low pressure supply..

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I note from the manual available from Weber that, although the Q's regulator is attached directly to the grill, it is separate from the control valve and delivers gas at 11 inches of water column (the standard low pressure). As long as the regulator's connection to the control is a common pipe thread, the regulator (with one-pound cylinder connector) could be removed and replaced with just a hose with a quick-connect on the end.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Same as Steve on the Weber and basically the same on the Campfire in a Can - the manual comes with detailed instructions for converting it to a quick connect.
http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-80335.../quickdisc.pdf
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
...Campfire in a Can - the manual comes with detailed instructions for converting it to a quick connect.
http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-80335.../quickdisc.pdf
Yep, same link that I posted - thanks for the confirmation.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:40 AM   #31

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I did it the easier way--had them take off the regulator and make up a 10 foot hose when we bought the Baby Q!!
We have a 5 or 8 pound tank for our firepit..
Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Has anybody used one of the grills that attach to side of an RV? Do you have pictures of how it attaches to an Escape or comments on how it works?

We had the quick connect line factory installed and I originally thought we would be able to attach to one of our table top grills, but as described earlier in this thread, that isn't going to work, so I'm thinking of getting an RV specific grill (designed to run on low pressure) such as an RVQ or Camco 5500.

I'm wondering how they attach, and if there is any concern about melting the fiberglass or awning?

We could always put them on a table, but then it might be cheaper to adapt a regular grill like suggested elsewhere?

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #33

I like my BBQ portable so that I can place it where it works best. Usually that is on the picnic table ( along with my one-burner butane stove ). In windy conditions I can place it in the lee of the trailer ( whichever side that may be ).
Old 06-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post

I'm wondering how they attach, and if there is any concern about melting the fiberglass or awning?
I had a pop-up that had a barbecue attach to the side of the trailer, and we gave up on it, not out of concern for the awning or trailer side, but because too much smoke was getting into the trailer. It was just too close.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 - 21'
How to connect Coleman to your camper propane.

A bit late, but for what it is worth.

paulschram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post
Has anybody used one of the grills that attach to side of an RV? Do you have pictures of how it attaches to an Escape or comments on how it works?

We had the quick connect line factory installed and I originally thought we would be able to attach to one of our table top grills, but as described earlier in this thread, that isn't going to work, so I'm thinking of getting an RV specific grill (designed to run on low pressure) such as an RVQ or Camco 5500.

We could always put them on a table, but then it might be cheaper to adapt a regular grill like suggested elsewhere?

The grill snaps on via the quick connection. I keep the grill way away from the fiberglass and awning. And I agree with Glen Baglo use the long hose u get with the Escape option to place the grill away from the trailer.

We bought a little collapsable metal table to place the grill on.

We have a Coleman stove but left it at home. If we decide to start cooking outside, I guess we will get the thing converted to propane. So far we just cook inside, or should I say, Liz cooks inside. (I do the cleanup)

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulschram View Post
Great, but just keep in mind that the Coleman LXE grill has a separate regulator (which the conversion removes) and control; most stoves (of any brand) use a combined regulator and control so they can't be converted this way.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:47 AM   #38

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We're talking grills here right? I get so much life out of one of the little 1 lb canisters I don't see the need for converting the Coleman stove.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:34 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulschram View Post
I came across this a couple years ago when trying to find a way to connect my stove. This is a big unit, and it uses different connectors for the gas lines.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
We have a Coleman stove but left it at home. If we decide to start cooking outside, I guess we will get the thing converted to propane. So far we just cook inside, or should I say, Liz cooks inside. (I do the cleanup)
This attests to the many different styles folks on this forum adapt for using their Escape. I would bet that we do 90% of our cooking on the stove outside. Not that we don't like our Escape, we do, we just like being outside even better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We're talking grills here right? I get so much life out of one of the little 1 lb canisters I don't see the need for converting the Coleman stove.
I have used those things, and carry one for a backup, but they always run out when you really need them, and I just can't get by the terrible waste they produce, and how much you have to spend on them. Have you thought of going to the small refillable ones?
http://www.mantank.com/pdf/1lbflyer.pdf
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote