Hot Water Heater (Manual Start - Pilot Ignition) tips or tricks? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #1

Hot Water Heater (Manual Start - Pilot Ignition) tips or tricks?

Good day,

I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to light my hot water heater. Can get the gas flowing and the light lit, but no luck switching the gas cock to on . The gas was burning strong while the gas cock was pushed (reset button) , a nice blue flame. The gas just seems to stop flowing when switched to on and that is that. I have held the pilot switch for upwards of 15 minutes with no luck.

Of course it did work once, the very first time I tried it 2 weeks ago. I had a friend holding the button for me that time. Lots of hot water, no issues, But never again! I think he held the gas down for at least 15 mins that time. It is an SW6P suburban - 2004.

Wondering about any tricks or tips you might have. I did order a new thermocouple, just in case.

Am I just not patient enough? I can get the propane flowing to both the fridge and heater no problems, so not sure. I tried to up the pilot adjustment, cranked the temperature indicator to high ...

Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Re: Hot Water Heater (Manual Start - Pilot Ignition) tips or tricks?

Definitely the thermocouple.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote