Hot Water Tank Anode Question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I see that you have several threads of teflon tape showing(probably most of what was wrapped on?). When first removing the anode, the nut head was flush against the tank. Due to deposits on the tank's threads it doesn't want to go back in all the way. The gunk on the threads is pretty tough; anyone have success using anything to safely remove? Does it matter the rod doesn't snug down as originally as long as it doesn't leak?

In one search it shows someone putting six gallons of vinegar in the tank and letting it sit overnight. Something tells me that is probably overkill, yet that is not unlike the instructions for my annual maintenance for an on-demand water heater I have in a room over my garage.
Hi: Rossue... I use a wooden handle wire brush. A few strokes with the threads and deposits are gone. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hey Alf- yeah, couldn't find mine and tried a never-used battery terminal brush. Didn't seem to have much effect so will go down to Ace & get the wood handled brass wire brush. Thanks.

Suburban recommends leaving the anode rod out during storage.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't think my anode ever went in further than this.
Attached Thumbnails
Anode and teflon.jpg  
Old 11-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just a thought besides the Teflon tape what about using a little white lithium grease on threads ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Found the wood handled brass wire brush and it worked very well with some vinegar. Snugged it up and isn't leaking so will check that anode again in about six months to see how it's doing.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Found the wood handled brass wire brush and it worked very well with some vinegar. Snugged it up and isn't leaking so will check that anode again in about six months to see how it's doing.
Hi: Rossue... Better not be leaking... You'd get a visit from the water "Police"!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Ours does not either and it is new.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:17 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You might have 25% wear, so it is good for another couple years anyway, but still good to check annually regardless of winterizing. Sure it is only $15, but if you changed it every year, instead of every 4 years, these kind of costs add up. This one will work just as good as a new one.
WHAT? A $15 anode replacement (in your maintenance kit ) if it fails... your're willing to be without hot water? NOT me, YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If your anode "fails" you still have hot water. It is only there to be eaten away, instead of the tank being eaten away. You won't notice.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A galvanic anode is the main component of a galvanic cathodic protection (CP) system used to protect buried or submerged metal structures from corrosion.
They are made from a metal alloy with a more "active" voltage (more negative reduction potential / more positive electrochemical potential) than the metal of the structure. The difference in potential between the two metals means that the galvanic anode corrodes, so that the anode material is consumed in preference to the structure.
The loss (or sacrifice) of the anode material gives rise to the alternative name of sacrificial anode.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
WHAT? A $15 anode replacement (in your maintenance kit ) if it fails... your're willing to be without hot water? NOT me, YMMV
It really can't fail, it can only wear out, and my annual winterizing gives me the chance to see how much wear it has. In my 19, I changed it after 5 years, though pretty sure I could have got at least another year.

Frankly, I would be shocked to see more than a few that carry one, plus the socket required to change it out. Who actually checks it while on the road, that is the only way to tell if it is worn out at all. As baglo pointed out, the water heater will work fine without it, and will suffer very little for short term use without one plus you would not be without hot water.

Who here ever checked the ones in their water tanks at home? That, and not flushing annually cause most of the fails of a storage tank type water heater.

Besides, isn't something like this the reason to carry a zero balance credit card?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:35 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Who here ever checked the ones in their water tanks at home? That, and not flushing annually cause most of the fails of a storage tank type water heater.

Actually I've heard that for years and never changed an anode in the home hot water tank. But I was curious to see what the anode in the last tank that failed looked like. It took so much force to get it out that it seemed like it could cause other problems removing it. Maybe heat would have helped, who knows. So, I'll continue to go for the 9 year warranty ones and hope for the best.

Rant: can't believe they have the nerve to sell tanks, an important item that can cause major damage when it fails, with only a 6 year warranty

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:41 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Actually I've heard that for years and never changed an anode in the home hot water tank. But I was curious to see what the anode in the last tank that failed looked like. It took so much force to get it out that it seemed like it could cause other problems removing it. Maybe heat would have helped, who knows. So, I'll continue to go for the 9 year warranty ones and hope for the best.

Rant: can't believe they have the nerve to sell tanks, an important item that can cause major damage when it fails, with only a 6 year warranty

Ron
Never changed anode or flushed . Our water heater is still going .We have very hard water and it is almost 22 years old now . It just won't die . Pat
Old 11-21-2015, 01:07 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Dissected my old house water heater after 20 yrs in service. No anode element left.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Dissected my old house water heater after 20 yrs in service. No anode element left.
We have a brand new water heater sitting in garage waiting for the current one to die . Pat
Old 11-21-2015, 05:37 AM   #35

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've always been afraid to flush the HW tank, I just know the valve will need replacing or repair if I were to do so. I was told my 20 year old tank was fiberglass, would it still have an anode?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:39 AM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Besides, isn't something like this the reason to carry a zero balance credit card?
Touche!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've always been afraid to flush the HW tank, I just know the valve will need replacing or repair if I were to do so. I was told my 20 year old tank was fiberglass, would it still have an anode?
My thought's exactually. Just leave well enough alone . It's working . Pat
Old 11-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Most of the fiberglass ones have an inner tank made of polybutene and a wound fiberglass outer shell. They don't need an anode, but there are a few that do have them - mainly as a means of odor control. And - they LAST. My Dad has one that's over 20 years old and still working perfectly.