How Make A Waterproof Port/Install Backup Camera - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
How Make A Waterproof Port/Install Backup Camera

Howdy. I want to install a backup camera but am uber paranoid about the hole that it will require in the shell. How does one do this? I'm thinking a single port cable gland, but then do I gasket it, what kind of caulk/sealant is best, etc. Also, what's the recommended mounting method for the camera itself? If I screw it on, then those are just more holes, or are there surface mounting tapes that are really up to permanent exterior mounting? I'm thinking I might be able to bolt it onto the frame of my solar panel, which is mounted very close to the rear of the trailer, but not sure if the trailer will block the view or not. More info if it helps: I picked up a Yada digital wireless backup camera at Costco for $99. It seems to have more than enough wireless range to go from back of trailer to the front of TV, as I took the camera/receiver about 75 feet into the house and it worked fine through several walls. The camera has auto IR lights for night vision as well, which precludes mounting the camera inside the rear trailer window, as they reflect off the window and blow out the picture, so it's gotta be mounted outside. Thanks in advance for your help!
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
What about attaching something to the spare tire mount, so the camera is just above the spare?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I took my Yada wireless camera ( from Costco ) to a well-established shop that installs stereos and such and they advised me that it would be a waste of money to put it in. ( it is wireless, but still requires the transmitter to be wired as well as power ).
They had never done an install that the customer was happy with the reception.
Fortunately Costco has a generous return policy.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

I considered a spare tire mount, but need it up higher because we carry bikes on the back that cover the whole lower half of the trailer. Probably needs to be up above the rear window.

My transmitter is integrated into the camera itself, so all it needs is power, thus the need to run a cord into the trailer. I plan to wire it to a switch inside the trailer so I can turn it on and off there, and have it on continuously while towing, or even turn it on while camping if we relocate the suction mount receiver to the trailer while parked.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I considered a spare tire mount, but need it up higher because we carry bikes on the back that cover the whole lower half of the trailer. Probably needs to be up above the rear window.

My transmitter is integrated into the camera itself, so all it needs is power, thus the need to run a cord into the trailer. I plan to wire it to a switch inside the trailer so I can turn it on and off there, and have it on continuously while towing, or even turn it on while camping if we relocate the suction mount receiver to the trailer while parked.
I recall some members here having good luck using Velcro to attach the camera under the rear cabinet inside the trailer looking out the back window. Worth a shot.

Scott and Lori
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
I recall some members here having good luck using Velcro to attach the camera under the rear cabinet inside the trailer looking out the back window. Worth a shot.

Scott and Lori
I considered that but the auto IR illumination feature blinds the camera when placed behind glass, so it must be mounted on trailer exterior.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #7

Keep in mind that a back-up camera is no substitute for proper towing mirrors. The common requirement is that you be able to see to 200' back in the adjacent lanes.
And, for backing the trailer, there is no substitute for getting out and looking for obstructions. BC Provincial campgrounds ( for instance ) love to place large boulders on the site to protect picnic tables and fire pits. It's also a good idea to look up for low hanging branches.
My next vehicle will have a back-up camera for parallel parking and I do have a Swift-Hitch wireless camera for hooking up, so I'm not against them, except to note that the original equipment cameras are set up so they will only function when the vehicle is in reverse. That is to keep you from looking at the monitor when you are supposed to be looking at the road ahead.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I have been considering installing a back up camera also. I'm interested in a Tadi Brothers wireless magnetic mount camera powered with batteries. Then I can "stick it " to my tow vehicle to back up and align with hitch. For the back of trailer, I'm thinking of putting up a magnetic stainless steel plate that will be attached with 5200.

First use for backing onto hitch, rear of trailer for backing into campsites. I don't really care about what's behind me while driving. Thought that is what mirrors are for.

Tom
Old 12-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I travel alone and hitch up by my self -my car has a back up camera- helpful for parking and hitching up. I really don't think i need a camera on the back of my trailer. When I park it I jump out and look what's behind me. While driving i don't care what the car behind me is doing they have to manage themselves. I can't do anything about the stupid things they might do. I am thinking about getting better mirrors might make changing lanes safer.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Then I can "stick it " to my tow vehicle to back up and align with hitch. For the back of trailer, I'm thinking of putting up a magnetic stainless steel plate that will be attached with 5200.Tom
I've got the magnetic base Swift Hitch and couldn't find any metal on the back of my RAV4 that was where I needed to place the camera. I ended up using contact cement to glue a metal disc to my spare tire cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Hitch.png  
Old 12-01-2015, 03:30 PM   #11

So to recap, outside of advice on doing something different than what I've outlined, can anyone offer advice on installing a through hull port and on permanently affixing a backup camera to fiberglass?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Any hole I have created I have sealed with butyl and proflex, no leaks.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The cable gland I have on hand came with a rubber gasket to seal it to the outer trailer body so no need for anything there. You do need to order one for the correct size cable so the inner rubber will seal the cable correctly. Their is one on the roof of my trailer where ETI punched through for the solar cables, they goobered it up with caulk to make it water tight. Guess it was either the wrong size or they were just being cautious where the 2 cables go through the inner rubber. So it would seem you can use Proflex RV caulk if you feel the need.

I like the idea of gluing on a mounting block, which is what I did for my cell antenna. I made a block out of a few layers of 3/4" PVC board, then shaped it to the trailers surface and glued it with 3m's 5200. You do need to came up with a way of holding it in place while it dries, very very slowly. The heavy duty velcro idea might work too, that stuff sticks like cement. If it's an option on your trailer and you're mounting up high enough, you could look into running the cable through the rooftop refer vent. It's what I did to avoid another hole and why I have an unused cable gland sitting down in the basement. Don't know the layout of a 17B.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #14

Excellent, thanks!
Old 12-01-2015, 06:33 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Tadi system installed by ETI before it became their standard. Lots of proflex all over the thru-hole; no problems so far! Cable entry is inside the rear overhead cabinet, so easy to check for leaks. Power/ground were picked off the vertical power runs behind the padded corners. Transmitter power/ground were picked off similar in a front corner (where I wanted the transmitter.) I picked the power off the running lights, so when I want the camera I just have those on. I have the "clip over the mirror" monitor that I can also use when backing the trailer up using my JD tractor.
Attached Thumbnails
wk2 071.JPG  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #16

Next time you can, how about shooting a picture of the monitor display. I'd like to see what you get on the highway, and what you see backing into a site.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Next time you can, how about shooting a picture of the monitor display. I'd like to see what you get on the highway, and what you see backing into a site.
Tadi uses the same camera on all their systems, and mounted high on the 21 I was surprised that their wide angle claim (170 degrees as I recall) was pretty accurate - I can see traffic overtaking me practically all the way up to the bumper of the trailer - well into the mirror zones I can see with the Taco mirrors. I don't really use it for backing into a camp site, though - primarily for backing into the storage area in the shop as the width is a bit tight. I put a big bullseye (think archery) on the back wall that lets me aim the rear end while I observe with the side mirrors how close I am to the drivers side wall of the shop.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Be advised that such cameras cannot work on vehicles with spoilers and the cameras are too big to put at the license plate. We spent about $40 on shipping for nothing.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:09 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Tadi system installed by ETI before it became their standard. Lots of proflex all over the thru-hole; no problems so far! Cable entry is inside the rear overhead cabinet, so easy to check for leaks. Power/ground were picked off the vertical power runs behind the padded corners. Transmitter power/ground were picked off similar in a front corner (where I wanted the transmitter.) I picked the power off the running lights, so when I want the camera I just have those on. I have the "clip over the mirror" monitor that I can also use when backing the trailer up using my JD tractor.
This helps a whole lot. I am about to install my Tadi system. Two questions:
1. Where is the thru-hole located? It must be right by the camera. Just above? Somewhere else?
2. How is the camera mounted to the trailer? Are screws used? Any idea what size? I assume stainless steel.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
I installed my backup camera over the weekend. I have a Tadi brothers camera and a wireless video transmitter that I got off ebay for $40. I too was uneasy about drilling a hole in the fiberglass and through the vinyl. I always try to make mods as unobtrusive as possible.

My solution was to make a video harness for the camera with a single cat6 port. Then I ran a 25' cat6 cable from the back of the trailer to the front, through the hole where the ground cable from the battery connects to the trailer frame. Then I made another cat6 video harness for the transmitter and wired the power leads to the vehicle running lights. The camera itself attaches to a swiveling magnetic phone mount that I adhered to the trailer with outdoor VHB tape. Very stable and the magnets are strong.

The video transmits to my iPhone, where it mounts to another magnetic phone mount on my visor.

No holes and everything works great! Less than $80 all in. The only thing I can complain about is that the camera video quality is very poor, and there are visible wires in the back, but its worth the compromise.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0054.jpg   IMG_0056.jpg   IMG_0057.jpg  
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote