How many use their ovens. - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #41

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my last trip we used the oven every day corn bread , brownies etc...but i almost never use the microwave we also cook outside daily - grill and stove but use the indoor stove when its cold or rainy.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Like you, we dry camp a great deal of the time, thus we opted for no oven, no microwave and a larger fridge/freezer instead. Love our larger fridge/freezer and don't miss the oven or microwave at all. We also have only two burner stove as we do most of our cooking outdoors on a bbq.
MNEWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We have the oven, and we use it.

It burns propane and doesn't require 110v.

We also have a microwave and use it when we have electrical hookup.

Not every day. Not every trip.

The flexibility of having both is good for us. YMMV.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5 TA
Fresh baked brownies, cinnamon rolls, casseroles, ... If you love to bake at home, get the oven. I love mine.
KatrinaOstby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #45

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I started making brownies on the Weber in a cast iron skillet. I love the way the edges crisp up by the time the middle is cooked. Deep dish pizza works too. Can't be to cool out though. that's about the extent of me doing gourmet.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #46

Trailer: 2011 19'
We do not have an oven or microwave and once spent three months traveling and didn't miss either. We do use an electric fry pan outside and inside I have a set a stainless steel cookware inherited from my mother that is stackable. This means that I can often use only one burner and simply stack up the pans and save on the propane. West Bend sells this kind of cookware today. You'll want a double boiler pan as well as one with a strainer. That means less clean-up mess as stuff doesn't stick so easily. That being said our friends use their oven extensively and just ordered a larger model--with an oven--but no microwave. They nearly had a bidding war when they sold their 19' and while it did have an oven it didn't have AC. Their unit was shipshape! That is probably more important.
Marlee Huber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #47

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
We don't have an oven because in previous Trailers & Campers we never used it. We still feel the same way.

My BIL likes to bake and has one of these portable ovens and very much uses it:

sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #48

Trailer: Still Deciding
No oven = no home made Lasagna, no home made meat stuffed manicotti.
No Oven? No Way!!!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #49

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
As my wife and I get older our days of boondock camping get less & less , and it appears that that trend will continue
When we were in our 20’s , 30’s and 40’s we roughed it not so much for the love of roughing it but because of the economic realities
Now that we are in our LATE 60’s creature comforts are taking precedence
Having a microwave to warm up a quick lunch or an oven to bake a late night pizza or a cooktop to make a batch of soup or stew is worth every penny IMHO
The trailer I would have bought in my 40’s is not the trailer I would buy in my 70’s
When I was younger I could throw a sleeping bag in a pile of rocks and go to sleep now a top of the line mattress doesn’t help
Escape trailer’s last a very long time so when ordering a new one I would look farther down the road when picking options .
Great insight Steve , thanks for this post. We are hitting that age and will be experiencing things from a different perspective going forward now.
Ronn
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
No oven since I have the 17B but if I had one I might use it occasionally. I do carry a toaster oven big enough to cook a personal pizza and make cookies once in a while.

I like a microwave to heat up leftovers since I don't want to waste the water cleaning a pan to heat them up. When I'm not going to have an electrical hookup it serves as more pantry space.

Before I got electricity on my property I had neither of the above and didn't miss them much. I feel kind of spoiled now with them.

I also use Dutch ovens and a grill outside.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
We put in a convection microwave - the convection oven bakes better than our oven at home. For those few times we want/need to bake while dry camping our Weber Q will do pretty much everything we want as an oven - even brownies and cookies.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 19'
Perhaps you may want to think about when and for what purpose you use your oven at home in making your decision.

Do you love baking? Do you often make dishes which can be prepared only in an oven (i.e. that can't be prepared in a crockpot, electric frying pan, saute pan)? Do you like coming home to the smell and warmth of food in an oven when you've been out for a long, cold walk?

Do you want to live a similar life, and eat the same kind of meals, while trailering, that you at home? (We do, actually, which is why we bought a trailer instead of tent camping.)

If you regularly use your oven at home to prepare the kinds of meals and foods you prefer, you are likely to miss it when you are trailering. A built-in unit will not be comparable to your home oven in size or power but will give you similar functionality. And as it runs on propane, you will not be dependent on hookups or a generator, which a toaster/oven requires. But if your oven doesn't get much use at home, except on special occasions, it would be a waste of space in your trailer.

We chose not to install an oven in our Escape 19'. However, we have decided to bring along our Breville toaster/oven, which does a good job on roasting, when we will be hooked up, and forgo meals which require an oven when we're dry-camping. It's our variation on the "we eat what's in season" concept.
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #53

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
We just picked up our 5.0 TA. No oven. Using a counter top electric convection oven. We had a motor home and only used the oven for pizza.

For power we have a 3500 generator in the back of the pickup, Db(A) is 50 at 50' and 55 at 25'.
WRGooding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #54

Trailer: 2018 21’
We’ve had 5 RV’s over the years and I can honestly say we rarely used the oven. Once in a blue moon for cookies. In our 21’ we opted for a microwave/convection in the off chance we need an oven. We put it in the space where the oven goes and that allowed for more storage on the other side where the microwave usually goes. Hope that helps.
Alaska Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 PM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We use ours every trip. We camp almost exclusively of the grid, so no microwave.
When setting up camp, we always have a pre-made meal that goes in the oven, to be ready when we are settled. Some hits have been lasagna, cabbage rolls, Mac & Cheese, pizza.
If you like to do super-easy breads, you have the Pillsbury stuff that is ridiculously easy.
It's good for keeping things warm too, with just the pilot light after heating things up.
Really, you have to plan to use it. If you don't plan to use it, don't order it.
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #56

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think the message by some that if you frequently use your oven at home, you will be more likely to use one in your trailer.

We do lots of quick meals on the BBQ or stove, but when we have some relaxing time around camp Lisa loves using the oven. She wanted one, I obliged, and am certainly glad I did.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #57

Trailer: Escape 15A
I have a 15A escape so no room inside for an oven. I have a portable Coleman gas oven that I use every time. Can't beat freshly baked biscuits for breakfast. Pizza for supper and cookies in between. It does burn if not careful though.

I have a two burner stove inside that only gets used to heat water. I once burned bacon in a camper I had and never did get rid of the stench that penetrated everything, so now all my cooking is done outside.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:08 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
on the dozen trips we've taken so far, we've used the oven for nearly every dinner, the stove for boiling water to make coffee in the morning, and thhe microwave exactly zero times.

my wife makes casseroles ahead of time, and freezes them in dinner-for-2 sized portions in seal-a-meal bags. day before, a meal goes from the freezer into the fridge, then we line a baking dish with aluminum foil, contents of thawed baggie goes on foil, 20 mins in 350 oven and yum. the foil makes cleanup easy.

we also make things like cheese melts on bolillo (torta rolls). when I was solo camping 2 weeks ago, my wife gave me a frozen bag of 4 of her home made meatballs, these made fabulous meatball sandwiches.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #59

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I opted to get the oven in our new 19. Reasons included the 3-burner cooktop with burners that light without a match, and the option to cook things like a small roast, cornish game hens, and baked fish. I also was thinking pizza, frozen lasagna, and chicken pot pies for dinner after long travel days, as well as cornbread, muffins, and cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Having an oven integrated into the trailer, rather than having to bring along a separate propane or toaster oven, or deal with dutch ovens and charcoal, was too good to pass up. That said, loss of the drawers under the counter was indeed a bummer, so I sprung for 2 drawers under the wardrobe and paid the cabinet modification fee. So far in 2 outings, I am completely happy with this set up.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Use in cold or wet weather. Otherwise we have a toaster oven for outside.