How many use their ovens. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2018, 01:17 PM   #1

Trailer: planning to purchase
How many use their ovens.

debating on putting in a oven, maybe replace with a microwave. We are used to dry camping ( tent, tent trailer) so is it a good thing for resale down the road, or what has ones experience been. Also going with Two burner stove versus three. We cook outside now as we never had a trailer. We are in the process of looking at the Escape to order and deciding on options

Thanks
northside2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had one in my 2014 Escape 21, never used it once. It is a manual light oven and very small. Did all my cooking outside in dutch oven or with electric crock pot. Microwave will need to have electric or the expensive $$$$ inverter option with solar and dual 6 volts...
Old 08-30-2018, 01:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I’m not sure if you guys have ever cooked in a propane oven, can be a challenge to get used to. The oven is small and you have the propane flame not that far from the food, tends to burn easily. You will get many different opinions on oven versus microwave versus neither. I opted to get the oven as I like to have something that doesn’t rely on electric and you can use it on wet rainy days when cooking outside is not that inviting. A lot of us with an oven only use Airbake insulated cookware, it makes a big difference on the outcome of the food.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
That was the one option we didn’t order as that is getting too serious with cooking while camping. It,s the grill that gets used. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i use it every trip -brownies cookies egg plant Parmesan little roast etc...
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I use it frequently with Airbake pans. I also found a layer of 1 inch firebrick evens out the temperature. Also a probe-type thermometer stuck in the oven slot on the top is needed to get an accurate temp as the dial graduations on mine are off by 30 degrees.......

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by northside2 View Post
debating on putting in a oven, maybe replace with a microwave. We are used to dry camping ( tent, tent trailer) so is it a good thing for resale down the road, or what has ones experience been. Also going with Two burner stove versus three. We cook outside now as we never had a trailer. We are in the process of looking at the Escape to order and deciding on options

Thanks
Experience with propane oven - easy to burn food, temp hard to regulate. Went with a Panasonic inverter microwave, solar, and dual battery with inverter. Works great!
Old 08-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Experience with propane oven - easy to burn food, temp hard to regulate. Went with an Panasonic inverter microwave, solar, and dual battery with inverter. Works great!
I would probably install a Dickinson Marine oven like Jim did if I wanted to go to the trouble. As it is we take a small toaster oven with us that is easily stored. I like to set it up on a small folding table outside under the awning and bake biscuits or rolls or whatever. Did a batch of brownies recently and they came out perfect. Works very well, uses a reasonable amount of electricity, and doesn't heat up the camper.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
In ten years, we've not ever used all three burners on our stove. But, we mostly cook outside, using BBQ and a couple one-burner butane stoves.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i use it every trip -brownies cookies egg plant Parmesan little roast etc...
Same here , oven is used every trip out and also have microwave . Have had a oven in every RV we have ever had in 30 plus years .also cook outside . Like lots of choices . The surprise was the top burners light without a match or flame . You do have to light oven with a match etc. like that it will work with gas for boondocking . If we were to eliminate it would be the microwave before the oven . Many good suggestions to get good results in this thread . First item put on build for us . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21
We use it on almost every trip.......great for lasagne....really "roughing it", eh ?
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We definitely included an oven in our upcoming 5.0TA. In our previous rig we often traveled for months at a time and my wife loves to cook and bake so an oven was essential for her. We also found that it's nice to bake something in cold weather, keeps the trailer cozy and warm. However it does seem that most folks skip the oven - and if your trips are a relatively short duration you would probably find that you don't use it much. Glad they offer it, though, for those of us who can't live without one!
Old 08-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It all depends on your style, we eat simple meals when camping, no need for an oven, almost everything is cooked outside. Wife preferred an extra cabinet. Others would not be without, your call.

Had an oven on our last trailer, 7 years and never used it so we skipped it on this one. I got the oven in the last one thinking it would help when selling, nobody commented on having it so I can't tell if it helped or not.

The MW on the other hand gets used all the time. Although I don't care if we have hookups or not, it seems like most of the places we stay do have it.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes i rarely use my microwave i forget i have it-we were cooking for 12 people the last trip used everything inside and out even cooked off my propane fire pit to get it all done. Someone wanted melted butter so i was looking around for something to melt it in when my friend suggested the microwave forgot all about it!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I use mine all the time, in fact, a major reason for moving from a 17 to the 21 was for the oven. I added a large pizza stone at the bottom that evens out the temperature, so I don't have a problem with burning.

If you attend a rally thatI'm at, you will get some trailer baked blueberry pie at the pot luck!
Old 08-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I use mine all the time, in fact, a major reason for moving from a 17 to the 21 was for the oven. I added a large pizza stone at the bottom that evens out the temperature, so I don't have a problem with burning.

If you attend a rally thatI'm at, you will get some trailer baked blueberry pie at the pot luck!
Hi: Vermilye... Not at The Niagara Wine Escape!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
I love the oven, we also do most of our cooking outside. I use the air bake sheet to evenly distribute the heat. I have baked cookies and done small roasts. We have only used the microwave to reheat coffee. I would not put a oven in for resale value. It is a small percentage that pick the oven as a option. A toaster oven instead of the oven and microwave would work , you would save money and keep more storage.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We’ve only used the oven in our trailer 3 times but then again we have only had our trailer for 3 weeks . One of the features my wife wanted in a trailer was an oven so we got the oven .
Fresh baked muffins , rolls , and bread in the morning was enough to convince me that she made the right decision !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
How many use their ovens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I use mine all the time, in fact, a major reason for moving from a 17 to the 21 was for the oven.

The oven option was also one of the reasons that we went from a 17B to a 19. The other reason was the full time queen bed.

We lived in our 17B for a year without either a microwave or an oven. We only missed the oven, so on our 19 we got it but skipped the microwave as we can cook anything on the stovetop that we would microwave, plus we didn’t want to give up valuable pantry space for the micro.

The other thing to consider is that while it’s easy to add a microwave at any time after build completion, it is somewhere between difficult and practically impossible to add an oven after the build is complete.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #20

Trailer: R: Escape--2018 Escape 21
We left the oven off our build this time. Never used it in the 14 years of our last trailer. Also omitted the built- in microwave but bought both a toaster oven and a plug-in micro. We have a "boondock" bin with cast-iron and a "shore power" bin for the power-dependent appliances
I plan menus ahead and re-heat or Dutch oven. As many have said, grill and graze works best for us.
R:Escape is offline   Reply With Quote