How secure are the interior doors and drawers? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi I just saw your post and took a couple of pictures for you . You just get a snap kit and some vinyl. I cut the vinyl in a strip . Make sure you go through solid framing for the screw in snaps usually at the edges . I don't like the look of bungees and such and wanted something permanent. The door is very long and no matter how much you mess with the lock set it is twisting and moving going down the road . My strap has been on since 2013 . I use this solution all the time . You don't want the door to open because it can get damaged , happened to another forum member swinging around as he was going down the road . Pat
Looks like a good workable solution. I may have gotten lucky, as my own door on my 19' has never needed adjustment and has worked flawlessly since new.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Looks like a good workable solution. I may have gotten lucky, as my own door on my 19' has never needed adjustment and has worked flawlessly since new.
Hi Dave never have had to adjust door lock but the door is larger then a cabinet door and the solution is just a precaution . Another forum member had he's come open going down the road and it was damaged .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We had a problem with the door opening as the original hinges were warping from the weight of the door and then the latch would get out of whack. Replaced the bathroom door hinges with the beefier ones mentioned in another post, adjusted everything and haven't had any more issues.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We had a problem with the door opening as the original hinges were warping from the weight of the door and then the latch would get out of whack. Replaced the bathroom door hinges with the beefier ones mentioned in another post, adjusted everything and haven't had any more issues.
Yes the hinges are another problem with door being larger then a cabinet door ,which is what the hinges really are meant for. I haven't changed ours yet and don't know if I will . Sometimes I wanted to just make a new door . My strap for the door has been on since 2013 and no issues so I'm good . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My bath door is just fine with original hinges, and I do a lot of washboard forest service roads.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
They r more reliable than the owner, who occasionally forgets to latch them completely shut....
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
Hi there ... I’ve just seen these creative solutions for keeping doors , including fridge, closed on bouncy roads. I’m having trouble finding the hardware for the straps. Do you remember WHERE you got those?
Many Thanks,
Linda G
Islanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:47 AM   #28

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We had to implement several auxiliary restraint systems on our 17B, but not so much on our 19. So far the cabinet doors have all stayed shut, and our current fridge has a nice built-in lock that’s worked great. If I were to install any additional restraints on the 19, I would try some magnetic child safety cabinet locks like these: Safety 1st Magnetic Locking System, 1 Key and 8 Locks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GCJMLG..._5hIPAbV5DPWT9

Invisible, yet positive locking; elegant. Stick the magnetic key on the range hood, done.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #29

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
Thanks for that! Yes, an elegant solution!
Islanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #30

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
We hadn’t had any opening door issues until we were driving north from southern Baja last week. There is a 40 mile stretch of almost constant potholes and many are difficult to avoid. A foot deep and across the whole road. At one stop found cold tortillas and mineral water on the floor from the refrigerator. It had opened, dropped the items and closed itself. At another stop the bathroom door was on the floor. The toughest, roughest roads we have encountered.
Charlie
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
We have had the under sink storage door open on our new 21. Basically, the large, nesting pot system (Magma) had shifted and pushed open the door.

Rather than work on better latching for the door, I’m going to fasten down the Magma pot set. I have seen solutions on this forum such as small cleats and someone even posted a hold down strap system. If I secure the pots, then everything else behind them will also be held.

Other than this episode, I have not had my doors, drawers or fridge open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have a couple of sets of 'refrigerator bars' to hold back items in cupboards. There's even singles available. They work on tension, come in brown or white. I like that nothing is permanently attached. I think ETI even sells them in their merchandise store.
Attached Thumbnails
RefrigeratorBars.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #33

I had similar ( Camco ) bars that didn't work for me, even at the highest tension I could achieve. I cut an X in the plastic end caps so the rods fit over a screw installed in the cupboard. Still didn't work as advertised.
I was trying to secure the shallow cabinet under the sink in my 17B.
Attached Thumbnails
barred - 1.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #34

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
These fit the ends of the tension bars and will fer sure keep them in place!

Urbanest Set of 2 Inside Mount Brackets for 5/8-inch to 3/4-inch Curtain Rods, Glossy White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A9FB72U..._.yeQAb9D422JA
Old 03-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #35

The problem with those brackets is that the cupboard in question is very shallow and when mounted, those brackets move the rod back from the opening, reducing the depth even more.
I finally installed a piece of 1/2" X 1/2" molding along the bottom of the cupboard, which prevents cans and bottles from coming up against the cupboard door. Seems to have helped.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:33 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Necessity, the mother of invention....
Old 03-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 E19'
We didn't want bungees or straps draped across doors and drawers, so...

For the bathroom and fridge doors I made up a couple of aluminum clips. Each one is just 2 pieces of 1" Boeing Surplus angle aluminum, 1/16" thick, bolted together back-to-back, with a couple of keyhole slots drilled and filed in them. They slip down over a couple of shouldered wood screws that are spaced out from the door jambs with a few washers for the fridge and a piece of 1/4" oak for the bathroom door to set the depth, then fine tuned with a few (currently ill-trimmed) layers of duct tape so the door edges just barely brush up against the clips so nothing gets scratched up. Granted, the chrome-plated acorn nuts are somewhat heavy-handed, but just using raw nuts made it all look pretty crude. And applying some oak wood-grain edging tape or even just painting the bare aluminum a medium brown color would help a lot with the appearance. When we're not traveling, all that's visible are the screw heads so it's not too visually imposing.

For the opposing cabinet doors, I just made some door handle slide-ons out of 3/16" birch plywood. As is often the case, what was quick and dirty and temporary became quick and dirty and permanent - I just threw on some stain and called them done.

The drawers and the closet door will each get a couple of extra snappy-grabbers when I get around to it, although we've not yet had drawer-opening problems.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9411.jpg   IMG_9419.jpg   IMG_9414.jpg   IMG_9417.jpg   IMG_9415.jpg  

IMG_9429.jpg   IMG_9461.jpg  
Old 03-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #38

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
love the little wood cupboard handle holders ! wish i had some!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
latches