How secure are the interior doors and drawers? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
How secure are the interior doors and drawers?

I'm showing my Scamp colors here: we added positive latches to all the doors and drawers in our Scamp 16, and developed elaborate routines for securing everything when we went on the road. We drive off road a lot, but even on the freeway, we had to clamp everything down. Have you found the door and drawer latches on the cabinets in the Escape to be good for keeping the inside things inside? If not, what latches worked easily and effectively?
Thanks so much for your advice regarding the decor. We're on it!
Aspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We have had no issues with the door and drawer latches coming loose as we go down the road. We don't overload the cubbies (nor the wardrobe closet), and I don't leave stuff under the bed that might slide forward when we're underway; but those things are normal considerations. YMMV.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspinner View Post
I'm showing my Scamp colors here: we added positive latches to all the doors and drawers in our Scamp 16, and developed elaborate routines for securing everything when we went on the road. We drive off road a lot, but even on the freeway, we had to clamp everything down. Have you found the door and drawer latches on the cabinets in the Escape to be good for keeping the inside things inside? If not, what latches worked easily and effectively?
Thanks so much for your advice regarding the decor. We're on it!
You travel rougher roads than we do, but we've only had one problem, and that was our fault. We once mistakenly left a tall, heavy water bottle standing just inside a floor-level cabinet, and it was top-heavy enough that when it tipped over, it popped the door open and fell out into the aisle. The plastic bottle obviously rolled around a bit before we discovered it, but no damage to the camper. We just need to always remember to lay tall, heavy things down inside the cabinets, or put them inside a basket that will keep them from bashing the door open. Again, totally our fault, not the camper's.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We had some of the doors open on us when we first got the trailer, changed to these. The only issue with them is the wings are fairly sharp. Haven't gotten cut from them, but it feels like you do. They work well but then I don't do much off roading.
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've had no problems with drawers, however I have had the latch on the cabinet under the microwave open on more than one occasion, dumping some of the clothes I carry to end up on the floor. I may add a stronger closure, but it isn't all that much a problem.

On the other hand, I've also had the door under the sink/counter space open, spilling pots & pans as well as my coffee maker, a more serious problem. I solved this by using a bungee strap across the doors when traveling.

I do admit to driving "lumpy" secondary roads as much as possible, and often end up in undeveloped campgrounds where there is a fair amount of twisting and bouncing that probably contributes to the doors opening.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I too use bungee cords when traveling washboard or pothole roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge bungee.jpg  
Old 01-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
We received our 19 last Spring and did quite a few short trips throughout the summer with a total of 42 nights camping. We have had absolutely no problem with any doors, drawers or the refrigerator although we door put rubber twist ties around the door handles and a bungee on the refrigerator similar to the picture gbaglo posted. Better safe than sorry but I would be pretty confident with no restraining devices in place. Just stock and store items in a logical manner.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Love your byline quote, mcdonner

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
BTW. I don't bungee the upper cabinets, which are kept closed by gravity. We use those for clothes, towels, snack cupboard. Only one that has heavy, slippery stuff in it is the dish cupboard above the stove and it's never come open.
Attached Thumbnails
dish cupboard.jpg  
Old 01-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I've had the large cabinet door next to the frig open twice. Once was due to a water container inside that probably banged up against the door. Second time I'm not sure what caused it to open, so I now have a strap across it.

Of course it's purple. Of course I sewed cat ribbon on top of it. No plain Jane bungee cords in this trailer!

I also did the same thing across the flip up table/counters as they flop around quite a bit while in transit.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00195.jpg   DSC00196.jpg   DSC00198.jpg   DSC00201.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I guess we're just lucky, what with Baja and Alaska Hwy. and cross country trips but we don't bungee anything. Aside from the under sink door opening once and the hinges loosening up, that's about it for us.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I also did the same thing across the flip up table/counters as they flop around quite a bit while in transit.
How do you know? I've never done anything with mine as it seems tight enough just to lift it in place.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I guess we're just lucky, what with Baja and Alaska Hwy. and cross country trips but we don't bungee anything. Aside from the under sink door opening once and the hinges loosening up, that's about it for us.

Ron
We never had refrigerator open don't load the door and use the refrigerator lock we were shown on pick up , no cabinets open . Don't leave any loose items , stow everything away . Any heavy items like cans go on bottom kitchen cabinet . Do have a snap strap for bath door, in case I made . Our water container and like rides in shower floor . Guess we are lucky too ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:34 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
How do you know? I've never done anything with mine as it seems tight enough just to lift it in place.
Perhaps a cat reported it.
(Although I don't suppose that there would be a cat back there.)
One of those numerous cats that can be seen around the trailer.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:36 AM   #15

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
When we went to SolarFest, there was a huge wait on the roads leading to the fields they were putting us in. We were worried that Spike (the cat) would need the cat box. Since most of the time was spent just sitting there, Dirk went in the trailer with Spike and let him out. When we moved it wasn't for very long and at a snail's pace.

Even at the much lower speeds than normal, Dirk said the flip out counters really bounced around. Yes, I know you're not supposed to be back in a trailer while in transit, but we couldn't see keeping Spike in his carrier for the 2.5 hours it took us to get to the camping field from when traffic came to a complete stop (and probably less than 2 miles from where we camped at).

The counters on the dinette have pillows and blankets wadded up against them so I'm not worried about them bouncing around.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We never had refrigerator open don't load the door and use the refrigerator lock we were shown on pick up , no cabinets open . Don't leave any loose items , stow everything away . Any heavy items like cans go on bottom kitchen cabinet . Do have a snap strap for bath door, in case I made . Our water container and like rides in shower floor . Guess we are lucky too ! Pat
I'd love to see a picture of the snap strap. Our bathroom door has opened during travel.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
I'd love to see a picture of the snap strap. Our bathroom door has opened during travel.
I would first look at the adjustment and operation of the latch. This latch should be solid when closed. We never had a problem with our 19 or 5.0TA with the door coming open, and they did see some rough travel.

Just thinking that maybe it is not catching far enough onto the strike if it is opening while travelling.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I would first look at the adjustment and operation of the latch. This latch should be solid when closed. We never had a problem with our 19 or 5.0TA with the door coming open, and they did see some rough travel.

Just thinking that maybe it is not catching far enough onto the strike if it is opening while travelling.
I think you're right. I'd forgotten that a couple of years ago our bathroom door did open during travel. It was barely latching so I put in a spacer and it's been fine since.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have also had the cabinet doors under the sink pop open during travel. I started using a bungee across the cabinet doors in that area. I don't remember any drawers or other doors coming loose during travel.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
How secure are the interior doors and drawers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
Hi I just saw your post and took a couple of pictures for you . You just get a snap kit and some vinyl. I cut the vinyl in a strip . Make sure you go through solid framing for the screw in snaps usually at the edges . I don't like the look of bungees and such and wanted something permanent. The door is very long and no matter how much you mess with the lock set it is twisting and moving going down the road . My strap has been on since 2013 . I use this solution all the time . You don't want the door to open because it can get damaged , happened to another forum member swinging around as he was going down the road . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0267.jpg   IMG_0268.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
latches