How to get a fresh front storage box - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2022, 08:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
How to get a fresh front storage box

Cracked a nice hole passenger side outter edge. Costlier to fix than a replacement. ETI won't ship one. Gotta get it there. 2000 miles round trip $1000 in just gas to get it. Not heading north. Plans are to go South from SF Bay Area. Anyone heading to ETI from SF this year? I'd make it worth your while to get it for me. You can see the damage in this photo. Thanks, David
Attached Thumbnails
20211116_170018.jpg  
dmc94572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Well, this would be a perfect project to start your fiberglass RV repair knowledge. What have you got to lose? There's plenty of info here at the EscapeForum and at West Marine and other places.

We'll all cheer you on and if you really document the process, you'll be helping someone in the future.

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 08:23 PM   #3

Yes you are right Donna. I bought that nasty special order paint already. No rush thats for sure.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc94572 View Post
Cracked a nice hole passenger side outter edge. Costlier to fix than a replacement. ETI won't ship one. Gotta get it there. 2000 miles round trip $1000 in just gas to get it. Not heading north. Plans are to go South from SF Bay Area. Anyone heading to ETI from SF this year? I'd make it worth your while to get it for me. You can see the damage in this photo. Thanks, David
You can fix this for about $40 in materials and about 4 hrs labor... Youtube videos are your friend
Old 03-25-2022, 09:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Sure looks fixable from your photo

Bummer.
You or someone can patch that box to look good for a lot less than new, if you could even get a new one.

How about a temporary patch of white duct tape? Don't laugh. That would keep things weathertight until your repairs are completed. I'd patch that with some building supply available, adhesive roof film patch that comes in larger sheets and is white. Poke the fiberglass out as good as you can and patch over it. A patch on each side of the box for symmetry. Temporary, of course.

Boat repair places deal with this sort of damage every day.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
.... How about a temporary patch of white duct tape? Don't laugh. That would keep things weathertight until your repairs are completed. ...
Gaffer's tape rather than duct tape is my suggestion for this application. Essentially the same properties but less / easier adhesive residue removal.

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!
Old 03-26-2022, 08:27 PM   #7

Thanks for a vote of confidence! Boat repair places labor rates are probably around $200 per hour. But $800 is not of interest to them. My concern like all repairs that are foreign, what tools must I collect? What are the prospects for success. Will that foot some kind soul added to the damage make this a bridge too far? The YouTube videos seem to cover easier applications. I will update a fresh photo of the damage.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That's a perfect case to learn on. Really forgiving, mostly because there's no large chunk of f.g. missing, no big hole to fill and make match to the contour.

Briefly, the process is: rough sand the interior around the damage. Then push out the pushed in piece, use a stick to hold it pushed in position flush as best you can.

Then you take some mat and resin and put in on the interior. After it sets up you can add one or two more layers. That restores the structure and holds things in place.

Then you lightly grind or sand the exterior a couple of inches around the damaged area. You could use resin to fill the surface cracks etc but gelcoat is easier to sand. Since the surface coating is textured it's a very forgiving situation.

The first step is quick and simple, makes the area water tight and strong and you can do the second step separately when you have time.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Do provide a photo for study & advice.

Quote:
Thanks for a vote of confidence! Boat repair places labor rates are probably around $200 per hour. But $800 is not of interest to them. My concern like all repairs that are foreign, what tools must I collect? What are the prospects for success. Will that foot some kind soul added to the damage make this a bridge too far? The YouTube videos seem to cover easier applications. I will update a fresh photo of the damage.
Typically, the tools needed are minimal, if it is fracture of the shell with no missing pieces. Various grits of sandpaper, some plastic putty knives, fiberglass cloth, protective gloves, packing tape, disposable brushes, other sundry items. Maybe some Bondo too.

Others will chime in, but I've been using W.E.S.T. epoxy resins for years and have had much better results with that than using polyester resin (your box is made with that). Your issue is cosmetic and not structural, so quibbles of adhesion, etc. don't seem to be a primary concern. The epoxy will adhere, well. Very well.

Much depends on the extent of your damage. Several photos are crucial to understanding your project.

This ain't rocket science. If you can read instructions, you can repair it. How well you repair it and how invisible the repair becomes depends on your patience, attention to detail and time spent. Making something useable and presentable again takes lot less time than making it original looking. Nobody is going to care or see the inside, and that's where much of your repair work will be done.
Enough of my lecturing. In my defense, I was a teacher, briefly.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
Quote:
David, have you checked any surfboard shops up your way I'm sure they could recommend a board repair shop that could repair that very easy?
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:16 AM   #11

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
My local, at the time, hot rod shop/ Corvette repair fixed a similar crack in my storage box for $350 including a complete respray with bedliner. Time was the biggest factor in the repair. Check around for a local shop that specializes in Vettes or general fiberglass repair. That includes boats, though I haven't found one around here who would. I think they were spooked by some previous job that wasn't to the customers satisfaction.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:34 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Not a lot of tools. Fiberglass cloth, resin, and a paintbrush. A place to work outside. Paint to match. (Or repair from the inside and leave barely visible cracks and no need to paint.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post

Others will chime in, but I've been using W.E.S.T. epoxy resins for years and have had much better results with that than using polyester resin (your box is made with that). Your issue is cosmetic and not structural, so quibbles of adhesion, etc. don't seem to be a primary concern. The epoxy will adhere, well. Very well.
Yup, I chime in every time I see someone mention using epoxy.

There's no need for it and you burn a bridge when you use it. Epoxy does indeed adhere well. But polyester resin doesn't adhere to epoxy. So by using epoxy you can't use polyester gelcoat or resin over it if the area needs a future repair. Epoxy sticks to polyester, polyester doesn't adhere very well to epoxy.

No need to use epoxy, do the whole repair using polyester. My advice is to do the interior and see what the exterior looks like after that.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Gaffer's tape rather than duct tape is my suggestion for this application. Essentially the same properties but less / easier adhesive residue removal.

Just for your consideration, Have Fun!
Gaffers is not waterproof however
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote