How to keep a cabinet door shut? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
How to keep a cabinet door shut?

Coming home yesterday, for the second time, my middle cabinet door (in the kitchen area, next to the frig area) popped open while traveling. The first time, two heavy water containers were inside - forgot to move them to the truck when I left, so my fault!

Shoved everything back in and went on my merry way. Minus the water containers, of course.

This time around there wasn't any heavy water containers inside the cabinet. Just the usual stuff that hasn't caused any problems in the past.

I think it happened when I was coming down Snoqualmie Pass and hit the horribly repaired potholes. OMG - if you get seasick you do NOT want to drive in the far right lane coming down I-90. OMG - it was horrible. Super bumpy and all that. I was following a class A and knew I needed to slow down even more when they hit their brakes. OMG

I fully expect to hit bumpy roads again, as well as that section of I-90 as I'll be zipping over to Spokane multiple times in the future.

I kind of wanna keep my cabinet doors closed while traveling as it's not fun finding stuff strewn all over the floor when you get home.

So, I know this has been shown before, but it's hard to find stuff (many times) using the Search feature. Please post photos and/or very good descriptions of how you have solved this problem. I shall ponder it and come up with a solution that works for me. And doesn't drive me nuts with looking dorky.

Thanks folks.

PS, what I found interesting, in probably a weird way, is that both times the door was shut tight when discovered. So, I figure it opened long enough to fling some stuff around and closed on the next bump. But not everything inside fell out. Weird.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Laura, Check on items for child-proofing kitchen and bathroom cabinets. They usually let the door open an inch or so, just enough to reach in and release a secondary "hidden" latch.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We haven't (yet) had this problem, but I did the Google site search for "cabinet doors shut" and came up with this promising thread:

Keeping the Cabinets Closed.

Hope it's what you were hoping for.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Instead of putting something on the outside that's even semi-permanent and may be Fugly to boot, I think I'd get tension rods and use those on the inside of the cabinets. Those will prevent items from hitting the cupboard door and pushing it open.
Attached Thumbnails
TensionRod.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks Folks! I read that other thread. Not going the bungie cord route, thank you very much. Or the zip ties. Too fugly for me.

Never thought of child safety locks, but doubt I'll try that as the few times I've used (at someone else's place) those they drove me nuts. Never having kids (or cats that were adapt at opening cabinets) I'm not used to using 'em. They're good at keeping me out of cabinets!

I do like the idea of the tension rods though. I'll also look have Dirk take a gander at those magnet latches mentioned in the other thread. I look at stuff like that and think "yeah, whatever" while he's either impressed or tells me it won't work for me.

So, yeah, if anyone else has any other ideas, please submit 'em. I learn something new each time I take the trailer out. Stuff that works and stuff that needs some improvement. And, of course, more stuff that I need and I'm sure Amazon will provide me with.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Thanks Folks! I read that other thread. Not going the bungie cord route, thank you very much. Or the zip ties. Too fugly for me.

Never thought of child safety locks, but doubt I'll try that as the few times I've used (at someone else's place) those they drove me nuts. Never having kids (or cats that were adapt at opening cabinets) I'm not used to using 'em. They're good at keeping me out of cabinets!

I do like the idea of the tension rods though. I'll also look have Dirk take a gander at those magnet latches mentioned in the other thread. I look at stuff like that and think "yeah, whatever" while he's either impressed or tells me it won't work for me.

So, yeah, if anyone else has any other ideas, please submit 'em. I learn something new each time I take the trailer out. Stuff that works and stuff that needs some improvement. And, of course, more stuff that I need and I'm sure Amazon will provide me with.
Hi: NW Cat Owner... . Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd use a thingie.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd use a thingie.
Being a male, you would use a thingy. Thingie is the feminine form of the word.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #9

Yes, but *which* thingie is the correct thingie to use in this situation? There are lots of thingies out there and not all of them might be applicable to this situation. You need to use thingie in a much better context than you currently are.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
"Heck if I know".
Old 05-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Quote:

Since you still wanted ideas, here's one, although it might be too "fugly" for you. We use footman loops, with nylon webbing. I'm quite sure I got the idea from another Escape poster.

I mounted several, on each side of a potentially offending cabinet door, as well as the reefer. The loops are available in a variety of metal and painted finishes. When we we're parked, it's easy to unbuckle the webbing and either let them dangle or remove them.

This is the best picture I have right now. You can see 2 of them, one to the right of the microwave and the other to the left of the wardrobe door.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
21554369820_26f26bbc2f_z.jpg  

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
Since you still wanted ideas, here's one, although it might be too "fugly" for you. We use footman loops, with nylon webbing.
I remember seeing something like this before, way back when I first joined the forum and was reading about everything I could.

Thanks for posting your photo. Yeah, I still want ideas.

Wonder if they come with paw prints on 'em. Then they wouldn't be fugly.

Gotta ask - what's on the inside of your door? It almost looks like your cabinet has an opaque-type front to it.

Edit: I could SEW some with cat fabric on the webbing! Uuuummm, something to ponder here.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #13

Cat themed webbing

Okay, did a google search - found some ideas via Etsy. Sew fabric in the middle of some webbing. I do have *some* cat themed fabric laying around - scraps from pillow covers. Oh yeah, some more that I bought that aren't covers - yet. But, that's for another day.

Anyway, to give me a better idea of what's going on here - if you use this webbing idea, can you post a photo of the end of it or however it's actually attached in place. Gotta figure out how to keep it tight. I'm thinking something like a buckle, but I could be wrong. That's happened a time or two.

Thanks!

Edit: posted too quickly in my excitement. You did say buckle. Duh! I'd still like a photo though to get a better idea of how to put them together if I go this route. Thanks1
Old 05-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We just used a couple extra of the closures that are shown on the actual cabinet picture in ksitte's photo....Our cabinet over the fridge (in our 17B) came open a few times and that is where is store canned food and other food stuff.
Since we applied them a few years ago--no issues...Can not be seen from the outside..
Old 05-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We had a couple of the doors that opened frequently, Donna D pointed these out at the time, they have not opened on their own since.

https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catal...p?p_ref=259860

I replaced all of them.

I don't keep gallons of water in the cabinets either.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Quote:
I remember seeing something like this before, way back when I first joined the forum and was reading about everything I could.

Thanks for posting your photo. Yeah, I still want ideas.

Wonder if they come with paw prints on 'em. Then they wouldn't be fugly.

Gotta ask - what's on the inside of your door? It almost looks like your cabinet has an opaque-type front to it.

Edit: I could SEW some with cat fabric on the webbing! Uuuummm, something to ponder here.
Here's a better view of the footman loops in use with the webbing & ladderlock strap adjuster buckle. Ah yes, "themed" webbing would be cool. And the inside of the door view is the stuff on the back side of the wardrobe mirror. Had nothing to do with that stuff; it came with the Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0687.JPG   IMG_0688a.JPG  

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote