How to Keep The Refer Cold While Driving Down The Highway - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2020, 10:06 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Cherie View Post
With solar becoming more popular and more panels on the roofs - i'm surprised the 12v compressor fridges are not becoming more of the standard? I haven't ran the solar numbers but I pull about 4.5amp running, and it runs approx 50% of the time. Thats 2.25ah constant or approx 48 hours on a 220ah battery setup from 100% to 50%.

I just dont know enough about solar yet (I will have it on our next rig) to know if it will easily handle this. But you cant beat the fridge simplicity and performance.

What brand and model of compressor fridge are you using?

By the way, you are using 100% of your available battery power per day since a lead acid battery shouldn't be drained below about 50% for the best longevity. That is fine if you don't use the battery for much of anything else, although I think you would have a problem on a cloudy day.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:09 AM   #62

Quote:
Thats 2.25ah constant or approx 48 hours on a 220ah battery setup from 100% to 50%.
Oops, I just noticed you are using 50% of your battery in 48 hours (not 24 like I was thinking). That works!
Old 02-07-2020, 06:17 AM   #63

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
What brand and model of compressor fridge are you using?......
It’s a Norcold NR751BB which is 2.7 cubic feet. It’s not a good fridge for an Escape because it’s small, but I believe the larger 12v compressor fridges use approx the same amps.

Just curious if today’s solar could easily power 55-60ah use per day? If so, I would strongly consider this and think Escape should have it as an option.

It can cool down from initial start in 3-4 hours. And last advantage is no holes at all required to be cut in the camper shell.

Not stating this is better, to each their own, but just curious this hasn’t become more and more accepted especially with all the fridge issues the two and three way fridges have.
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:34 AM   #64

Here is one that runs on 3.2A. Its 7 cubic feet. So if it runs 50% of the time thats 1.6ah or 38.4a per day. Looks like the largest they have.

https://norcold.com/product/norcold-...-refrigerator/
Old 02-07-2020, 09:26 AM   #65

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Here is one that runs on 3.2A. Its 7 cubic feet. So if it runs 50% of the time thats 1.6ah or 38.4a per day. Looks like the largest they have.

https://norcold.com/product/norcold-...-refrigerator/

Very tempting. I'm going to do some measuring - when Denver gets over its current ice age.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #66

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Refrigeration

Quote:
With solar becoming more popular and more panels on the roofs - i'm surprised the 12v compressor fridges are not becoming more of the standard? I haven't ran the solar numbers but I pull about 4.5amp running, and it runs approx 50% of the time. Thats 2.25ah constant or approx 48 hours on a 220ah battery setup from 100% to 50%.

I just dont know enough about solar yet (I will have it on our next rig) to know if it will easily handle this. But you cant beat the fridge simplicity and performance.

We are having a very good experience with our Engel compressor powered refrigerator.
It uses between .5 and 2,5 amp hours depending upon the level of cooling desired and the ambient temperature. We have only used it as a refrigerator cooling to 34 degrees. This is setting at about 1.6 or 1.7 on the 0 to 5 dial. The amp draw is about .8 amp hours on this setting. I would estimate about a 25% duty cycle. Our 170W solar panel does not have any problem at all maintaining the batteries at full voltage during a day of traveling. The cooler rides on the floor of our 21 and runs in 12V all day long. When camped with AC current available we switch over. We use the cooler in addition to our Dometic 8555 refrigerator freezer. The freezer always keeps frozen but the refrigerator struggles if the temperature gets into the 80s and above. 108 F in Hays Kansas a couple years ago puts the refrigerator portion in the mid 50s. So the Engel is the answer for us and with the dual sixes and the 170 panel we are comfortable running the maxfan, lighting, furnace if needed, and the other DC devices. In short l. compressor refrigeration with solar power works well for us. In Nebraska a couple years ago I showed our setup to a couple young guys who were camped above us and noticed the solar on the roof. They both had stick built trailers but had been asking themselves why a solar setup and an “electric” refrigerator wouldn’t work. They were kind of surprised that an old geezer was already doing It.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We are having a very good experience with our Engel compressor powered refrigerator.
It uses between .5 and 2,5 amp hours depending upon the level of cooling desired and the ambient temperature. We have only used it as a refrigerator cooling to 34 degrees. This is setting at about 1.6 or 1.7 on the 0 to 5 dial. The amp draw is about .8 amp hours on this setting. I would estimate about a 25% duty cycle. Our 170W solar panel does not have any problem at all maintaining the batteries at full voltage during a day of traveling. The cooler rides on the floor of our 21 and runs in 12V all day long. When camped with AC current available we switch over. We use the cooler in addition to our Dometic 8555 refrigerator freezer. The freezer always keeps frozen but the refrigerator struggles if the temperature gets into the 80s and above. 108 F in Hays Kansas a couple years ago puts the refrigerator portion in the mid 50s. So the Engel is the answer for us and with the dual sixes and the 170 panel we are comfortable running the maxfan, lighting, furnace if needed, and the other DC devices. In short l. compressor refrigeration with solar power works well for us. In Nebraska a couple years ago I showed our setup to a couple young guys who were camped above us and noticed the solar on the roof. They both had stick built trailers but had been asking themselves why a solar setup and an “electric” refrigerator wouldn’t work. They were kind of surprised that an old geezer was already doing It.
Iowa Dave
Good to know!! In that case, ask if Escape offers the "No fridge - no holes" option! Heck, maybe the lack of the fridge vent cap would allow room for another solar panel ha!
Old 02-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #68

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Shades of Santiago............ De Ja Vue rather da Ja View......
Old 02-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #69

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Measuring the current requires breaking into the line for a series measurement, which I have not done.
With a conventional ammeter, yes. Although relatively uncommon, clamp-on ammeters capable of measuring DC current (using a Hall effect sensor) are available. Here's a random one, available at Home Depot: Milwaukee Tool AC/DC Clamp Meter (Model # 2237-20). Given the price (this example is over US$200), this might be a good type of tool to borrow from a friend when needed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:52 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
With a conventional ammeter, yes. Although relatively uncommon, clamp-on ammeters capable of measuring DC current (using a Hall effect sensor) are available. Here's a random one, available at Home Depot: Milwaukee Tool AC/DC Clamp Meter (Model # 2237-20). Given the price (this example is over US$200), this might be a good type of tool to borrow from a friend when needed.
FYI, the above Milwaukee 2237-20 meter is available on Amazon for $120 USD (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002EL4LA8..._ME4pEbYHV9T67).

Can anyone give any first hand recommendations for these types of meters that are reasonably priced (say less than $150 USD)?

For those of you who are not familiar with DC clamp-on meters, be careful when buying one of these. Most clamp-on ammeters are for AC only. Look at the specifications regarding DC amps. I would recommend a minimum of 200 amps for RV work.