How to replace sail switch ? (Atwood 8012) - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2020, 11:01 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
We don't have a problem with our furnace ... yet... but I like to be proactive. As our trailer is now 4 years old, I'd like to order a replacement sail switch but I want to be sure I get the right part. Our Atwood furnace is the old style mounted in the 2015 21 drivers side dinette. Does this part I found on Amazon fit all Atwood's? https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-36680-...8630590&sr=8-3
No, that one doesn't have the right paddle. I went through this on our recent trip out west and had trouble finding the correct part. Dometic, who now owns Atwood, only had a couple of switches left and no plans to make more. I got one from them and had it delivered to Death Valley of all places. I also found a source on ebay. Here's a link to one I got on ebay, which is the correct part:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36134-ATWOO...72.m2749.l2649

The 36134 number is what you're looking for. I talked with a really good RV shop in St George Utah, and there was a bit of confusion over part numbers. Good luck in your search. I saved the old switch with the idea of bonding the wide part of the paddle onto the model you found if necessary.

Getting Atwood parts is not very promising, and I really don't know what might be involved in installing a newer furnace. No doubt the port in the side of the Escape will be in the wrong place.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:20 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
No, that one doesn't have the right paddle. I went through this on our recent trip out west and had trouble finding the correct part. Dometic, who now owns Atwood, only had a couple of switches left and no plans to make more. I got one from them and had it delivered to Death Valley of all places. I also found a source on ebay. Here's a link to one I got on ebay, which is the correct part:

The 36134 number is what you're looking for. I talked with a really good RV shop in St George Utah, and there was a bit of confusion over part numbers. Good luck in your search. I saved the old switch with the idea of bonding the wide part of the paddle onto the model you found if necessary.

Getting Atwood parts is not very promising, and I really don't know what might be involved in installing a newer furnace. No doubt the port in the side of the Escape will be in the wrong place.

Yikes I’m glad I asked and thank you very much for the help! Another good reason to get a replacement part now!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:39 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Looks like they’re available here:
https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...l-switch-36134

Used them before, always good for furnace parts
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:39 PM   #44

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Yikes I’m glad I asked and thank you very much for the help! Another good reason to get a replacement part now!
Another source:
Old 01-09-2020, 11:43 PM   #45

I'm afraid it's going to be hard to find one. You're right to start looking though because this was the second time I've replaced ours. I'm getting to be way too proficient at this job. I see some out there with larger bent paddles that I would consider trying as a last resort. Hopefully Dometic will reconsider and get some made if they haven't already.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:46 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Fascinating. You can see where they attached a larger paddle to the arm as I mentioned above. That's not the original design but it may be the best thing out there now.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:57 AM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I've had my sail switch replaced before, in 2015, and now the furnace is starting to act flakey again-- it's not consistently firing and will sometimes shut down after blowing cold air for a minute.

So-- are these sail switches just getting covered with so much dust that they won't move, or are they actually failing to complete the circuit? What is causing this?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:39 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Why not go to Escape for your spare parts, seems to me they should maintain and stock some inventory of parts for their older furnaces or at least have the correct part number.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:06 AM   #49

I called Escape when we were out in Utah to see if they had any ideas for where to find the switch. They were sympathetic, but as expected, they don't stock parts for appliances.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I've had my sail switch replaced before, in 2015, and now the furnace is starting to act flakey again-- it's not consistently firing and will sometimes shut down after blowing cold air for a minute.

So-- are these sail switches just getting covered with so much dust that they won't move, or are they actually failing to complete the circuit? What is causing this?
Mine failed this last time. I tried blowing it out through the grill to no avail. I removed the furnace to check it. It wasn't dust unless it was dirt actually inside the switch. It moved freely but made intermittent contact. It was acting just like you described.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
I called Escape when we were out in Utah to see if they had any ideas for where to find the switch. They were sympathetic, but as expected, they don't stock parts for appliances.
Good to know, thanks
Old 01-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Parker just checked eBay and the seller is sold out Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Looks like they’re available here:

Used them before, always good for furnace parts
Greg and Dave just ordered . Pat
Old 01-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #54
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post

in my case, it wasn't even a bunch of dust, it was a little bit of some poly lint from the insulation... removed that, replaced the switch and its worked adequately since. once in a blue moon it does the cold air for a minute and shutdown thing, but thats like once in a week of using the heater all night every night. i switch the thermostat off, and back on, and it fires right up.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Greg and Dave just ordered . Pat
I hope they report back. I'm happy that there is an additional source for the switches.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #56

Quote:
I hope they report back. I'm happy that there is an additional source for the switches.
Hi Parker ! Thankyou for the heads up . I really like this heater and it would be a shame to need this part . Hey how is the refrigerator doing ? Ours is a lot better after the mods we all did Pat
Old 01-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #57

Hi Pat. Our fridge is the best cold weather fridge ever! We haven't done any real hot weather camping lately, even on our recent trip to Death Valley. It was really cold at night in places like Bryce Canyon (12 degrees one night) and we delayed a couple of days to wait for a cold front to come across CA, cooling Death Valley to a high of 75. Timing is everything. Overall, though, our fridge is behaving. It seems to do about the same while towing whether on propane or 12V. If it's really windy, I go for 12V, which I ran to the hitch with #8 wire. So, knock wood, and let's hope our fridges and furnaces continue along!
Old 01-10-2020, 11:46 PM   #58

Quote:
Hi Pat. Our fridge is the best cold weather fridge ever! We haven't done any real hot weather camping lately, even on our recent trip to Death Valley. It was really cold at night in places like Bryce Canyon (12 degrees one night) and we delayed a couple of days to wait for a cold front to come across CA, cooling Death Valley to a high of 75. Timing is everything. Overall, though, our fridge is behaving. It seems to do about the same while towing whether on propane or 12V. If it's really windy, I go for 12V, which I ran to the hitch with #8 wire. So, knock wood, and let's hope our fridges and furnaces continue along!
About the refrigerator Parker , Good to hear ! Also good you checked in here too ! Pat
Old 01-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #59

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
So with a 2016 classic 19 does it use the Atwood / HydroFlame Furnace Sail Switch 36134? I like to have extra parts on hand.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:32 AM   #60

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
So with a 2016 classic 19 does it use the Atwood / HydroFlame Furnace Sail Switch 36134? I like to have extra parts on hand.

There should be a sheet glued inside your wardrobe or other cupboard that specifies your furnace. I'd start with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape Specs Form.jpg