How to replace sail switch ? (Atwood 8012) - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #81

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Got any hints for someone who has to do this without help?
Maybe wait until you attend Quartzite or Osoyoos where others will be available?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #82

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I removed the outside furnace metal vent plate , removed the caulk sealant on the outside then pulled the furnace and replaced the sail switch . Then I put the furnace back in place , tested furnace and when I was sure it worked I caulked / sealed the outside and installed metal vent plate
It’s not that difficult just time consuming .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:02 PM   #83

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I guess I've been lucky. I've removed and reinstalled our furnace three times now without having to remove anything on the outside or have something out there to push against. The first time, I asked my wife to watch through the vent to help me get things lined up. The last two times, while on a trip out west, I did it entirely by myself. I suggest having things ready to remove and reinstall the vent plate if necessary, but I would certainly try it first without going through all that. When you see that you've got everything lined up, just wiggle the furnace back and forth while pushing with reasonable care to see if it won't slide together.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #84

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
so far, we haven't had problems with the sail switch on our 2014 Escape 21. But looking at this thread makes me wonder if anyone has retrofitted an access panel to a pre-2018 Escape. It seems like it might be a worthwhile thing to do if the sail switch starts to go bad...
Old 01-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #85

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
An access panel is certainly part of any future plans should I have to replace our Atwood furnace with one of the newer models. So far, I've done fine as is, but an access panel could help with the cosmetics of a new furnace installation.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:22 PM   #86
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
so far, we haven't had problems with the sail switch on our 2014 Escape 21. But looking at this thread makes me wonder if anyone has retrofitted an access panel to a pre-2018 Escape. It seems like it might be a worthwhile thing to do if the sail switch starts to go bad...
on my legacy 21, the furnace is right up against the cabinet under the refrigerator, theres no way to access the fan and sail switch in situ.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #87

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Which furnace do you have? All 2014's I've seen have the original Atwood Everest Star 8012-II (with squarish tan grille) which does not benefit from exterior access. The furnace needs to be pulled from the inside to access sail switch and the circuit board is near the front. The good news is the sail switch seems to be much less problematic on the original model 8012-II furnace.

The newer furnaces are a completely different design and are the Atwood AFSAD12 or once bought by Dometic the DFSAD12. For a while the trailers did not have the factory exterior access door included although they do now. This design of furnace had exterior access options available from the furnace manufacturer. One user (Eggscape) did not have the factory hatch but creatively added his own hatch on his 2018 to access the sail switch and circuit board.
Part 1: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post282940
Part 2: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post284291
Old 01-27-2020, 01:54 PM   #88
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, mine is hte 8012-II, and I've had to defuzz once. was a nice piece of white poly fiber, all twisty and kinky, about 2" long, looked like lint from the insulation or something.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #89

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Got any hints for someone who has to do this without help?
I went through the removal-installation process in our 2015 E21. The trick for me was to scrape off some of the sticky substance I found on the vent pipe. After that, just a reasonable amount of pushing and twisting was necessary to get the exhaust tube back into the vent pipe.

Hope that helps,
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:30 PM   #90

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Glad we have the older design furnace and knock on wood , never had a problem with lint , etc. if the day comes and it needs work , not worried and will deal with it at that time .Our furnace was a wonderful upgrade from the 2 originals in previous rv’s . Same front grill but instead of starting up with just a switch on the wall , had to sit on the floor holding down the gas button for 5 min while cold air was blowing on you ! Love this furnace and hope to keep it going ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote