How to stay under 8A electric usage? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2017, 03:25 AM   #1
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
How to stay under 8A electric usage?

We have a 2017 '21 and may be staying at a site where the only electricity is a 15A or 20A outlet shared with a tiny home. What can we do to draw a max of 8A or 10A electricity so we don't trip the outlet's circuit breaker?

Related question, approx. how long can the fridge run in propane mode for each tank ?

We don't have to use the AC and can switch that breaker off. What else can help prevent problems?

Thanks!
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:19 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Leave the hot water on gas if yours is a dual fuel, and the fridge on gas. Don't use the microwave, or anything like a toaster, electric heater, or hair dryer and you should be fine. I can go a couple weeks on a single 20 gallon gas tank. I only turn on the hot water when I actually need the water, but don't now how much gas it saves if any, by doing so.

Just check your tanks every morning, when you see one goes empty, swap the dial to the other, disconnect the empty and get it filled and reconnect it.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:36 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I typically go 30 to 35 days on a tank of propane. Propane only hot water and turn it on when preparing meals and off when beginning to wash dishes. Typically always camp as if I was off the grid. When I have hookups, only difference is I'll use an electric heater and fridge on electric.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The refer pulls about 2 amps while on electric, if on gas, it is 12v. Other than your converter that should be your biggest draw, other than microwave, electric water heater, a/c.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Amp draw

We typically run on propane all the time even when electricity is available. This is because I can't remember to switch over. When I glance at my readout I'm usually surprised to see an amp draw over 5 amps. This would be if the furnace blower has kicked in, all the lights are on and the max fan is running. We only run the big current draw items once in a while even when hooked up to electricity. The propane went 15 days on our last trip and still had some left in the tank when we got home. That included a couple of campfire in a can fires. When we sold the 19, we were looking at the original build sheet and that was the first time we realized we could run the hot water heater on electricity. I had to go out and look at the water heater, find the switch, and say golllleee.
Dave
Old 09-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
We have just returned from a 35 day trip to Ontario. We ran the fridge on propane for 17 days and whenever we were travelling. We also used the trailer propane for the bbq, camp stove and occasionally the furnace. One 20 lb tank lasted the whole trip.

Re amp draw: we used the microwave, coffee maker, toaster, electric heater, lights, Maxx fan, etc in various combinations and never drew more than 11 amps. On a few occasions we were connected to a 15 amp outlet at friends' cottages and never blew the circuit breaker.

In my opinion, unless you use the air conditioner, you'll have no worries.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
LJY

about converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The refer pulls about 2 amps while on electric, if on gas, it is 12v. Other than your converter that should be your biggest draw, other than microwave, electric water heater, a/c.
This is the one I have additional question about.. can we turn off the converter at the circuit breaker and have other 120V items run? and if so, will the solar panel still be able to charge the batteries?
Old 09-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
LJY

sounds like from everyone that running the fridge on propane is pretty efficient.. thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
This is the one I have additional question about.. can we turn off the converter at the circuit breaker and have other 120V items run? and if so, will the solar panel still be able to charge the batteries?
Yes and yes to both
Old 09-10-2017, 08:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
If you have the ETI "surge protector" option which is really the EMS you can monitor your amperage in real time on the readout. My experience and general rule of thumb is to only run one major device at a time. The A/C, microwave, hot water heater on electric or an electric heater can be run on a 15 amp circuit...but never together. Run only one at any given time and you will be fine. If the converter will be on as well or the refrigerator on electric you'd be better off on a 20 amp circuit.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Have a look at the major appliances: they all have a current rating (or perhaps only a wattage rating) on them.
  • microwave (the one provided by Escape is relatively low power at around 700 watts of microwave power and around 1000 watts or 8 amps input, but some use 1500 watts, which is 12.5 amps)
  • coffee maker
  • toaster (a typical 2-slice basic toaster uses 900 watts, which is 7.5 amps)
  • electric heater (a typical heater on high takes 1500 watts, which is 12.5 amps; there's usually a lower setting as well)
Some can be run together on a 15-amp circuit, some can be even combined and stay under 11 amps, but if the target is 8 amps some can't even be turned on by themselves.

Lighting, the furnace fan, the water pump, and ventilation fans, are all minor.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Have a look at the major appliances: they all have a current rating (or perhaps only a wattage rating) on them.
  • microwave (the one provided by Escape is relatively low power at around 700 watts of microwave power and around 1000 watts or 8 amps input, but some use 1500 watts, which is 12.5 amps)
  • coffee maker
  • toaster (a typical 2-slice basic toaster uses 900 watts, which is 7.5 amps)
  • electric heater (a typical heater on high takes 1500 watts, which is 12.5 amps; there's usually a lower setting as well)
Some can be run together on a 15-amp circuit, some can be even combined and stay under 11 amps, but if the target is 8 amps some can't even be turned on by themselves.

Lighting, the furnace fan, the water pump, and ventilation fans, are all minor.

I believe the OP is talking about staying under 8 amps at 110 volts.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
The comment regarding the 12V devices is relevant because when plugged in the converter is using 120VAC and converting to 12VDC to provide power to all these items, as well as, slow charge the battery. It adds to the overall 120V power use.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
So am I, as Dave explained.

The converter can probably stay on, especially with the solar panel working.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I typically go 30 to 35 days on a tank of propane. Propane only hot water and turn it on when preparing meals and off when beginning to wash dishes. Typically always camp as if I was off the grid. When I have hookups, only difference is I'll use an electric heater and fridge on electric.
What type of outside temperatures are you seeing? On our recent 12 day trip through Oregon we ran the fridge on propane and did some cooking on the stove about half the evenings. We finished off 1 - 20 lb tank. The daytime highs approached 35 deg C about half the time and it was cooler the rest of the time.

It seems like we are going through a fair bit more propane... wondering if that means we are having issues with something.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
What type of outside temperatures are you seeing? On our recent 12 day trip through Oregon we ran the fridge on propane and did some cooking on the stove about half the evenings. We finished off 1 - 20 lb tank. The daytime highs approached 35 deg C about half the time and it was cooler the rest of the time.

It seems like we are going through a fair bit more propane... wondering if that means we are having issues with something.

While staying primarily at sites without electrical services, we rely quite heavily on propane (fridge, oven, hot water heater, furnace, BBQ, and fire bowl). With three of us in the 19', I will typically use up one 20 lb tank of propane per week.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:

The one question I would have is whether or not you are starting with a true full tank of 20
Lbs propane. If you buy the exchange tanks they are "Saving you" from any possible tragedy by not overfilling your tank. Which is double speak for shorting you when you think you have a full tank. Full tank shuld weight about 37 lbs. on the bathroom scale.
Dave
Old 09-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
Quote:

That amount of propane usage seems fairly consistent with our experiences (one tank every 8-14 nights, depending on temps). I imagine your fridge was firing pretty consistently during the warmer days, 35 C outside is very hot when it comes to keeping these fridges cool.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
While staying primarily at sites without electrical services, we rely quite heavily on propane (fridge, oven, hot water heater, furnace, BBQ, and fire bowl). With three of us in the 19', I will typically use up one 20 lb tank of propane per week.
The gas fire rings suck an awful lot of propane, not the thing to run if you are trying to conserve. Mine would burn 55000 btus on high, if I used it that high,or about .6 gallons an hour.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The gas fire rings suck an awful lot of propane, not the thing to run if you are trying to conserve. Mine would burn 55000 btus on high, if I used it that high,or about .6 gallons an hour.
Yes they do! We just picked up an Outland Living Firebowl. It used up a "full" tank over about 10 to 12 hours while camping in the rain last weekend.

The Outland Living Firebowl is on special at Lordco in BC for $92 right now.

msweet is offline   Reply With Quote