Humidity / condensation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 17A
Humidity / condensation

Hi all-

The new 17A has been in action for about a month now and has been working great as our weekend ski cabin on 3 trips so far in the PNW. I've been dealing with the expected condensation battle and keep the roof vents open at night at still stay very comfortable. The main place of condensation is the walls around the mattress, and have been a little surprised how little insulation there is in the storage areas that seem to lead to this being the main area of condensation. Got a few questions for the folks who head out in colder temps or live in humid areas like the PNW:

1) Would material like Hypervent be a good investment for under / around the mattress?

2) Should I consider running a dehumidifier when I have electricity hook-up?

3) Does anyone run a dehumidifier after a trip / while TT isn't in use?

Just trying to get a better sense for how to deal with some level of condensation around the sleeping areas as it seems unavoidable.

Thanks!

Dave
davedru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #2

I would also add that I would probably prefer NOT to run a dehumidifier will on the road. The air already feels to dry with an electric hearer going..... I'll do it if I need to protect my rig.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I'm not an expert or anywhere close to it on this subject. I can tell ya that I do have the hypervent all around the mattress (including the sides). I also run the overhead vent on low with it cracked open a slight bit. The only time I had condensation around the bed was one of my first times out camping and forgot to turn on/open the Maxx fan/vent. It was raining outside both days/nights. The next night I didn't have any problems.

Now, as to whether that was the hypermesh or the fan, or both (or the stars were aligned properly ), I could not tell ya. I do know we decided to get it just like you do insurance - hope you don't need it, but when you do, it's worth the investment.

I got mine in a big roll from a marine supply store in Seattle. That stuff was a fricking PITA to trim to size. Forget using scissors. Or a box cutter. I ended up using a hot knife/blade and that worked lots better. I also cut it on my 6' folding plastic table where it didn't matter if I got gouges or what-not on it.

I also put it under and behind the dinette cushions, although I was told later I didn't really need to. Well, I feel better having it on there - just in case and all that.

Most of my camping has been along the wet Pacific NW, so I figure it's better to have than to not have it and have to start replacing the mattress and cushions as they got icky and moldy.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Hypervent is a good investment given your kind of use. I just use the heater and not a dehumidifier however can’t imagine it would hurt to have one.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #5

Thanks Laura- I am going to put down the hypervent for sure... do you think humidity levels are high enough around here to need a dehumidifier at all when not using the trailer? Pretty new to this neck of the woods.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
1) Would material like Hypervent be a good investment for under / around the mattress?

2) Should I consider running a dehumidifier when I have electricity hook-up?

3) Does anyone run a dehumidifier after a trip / while TT isn't in use?
Yes to all 3, although I've not noticed it wet under the bed of the 5.0TA with it's carpeting. I could use hypervent or something of that ilk at the head of the bed but have yet to do so, I do try and pull it away from the front wall.

I use our dehumidifier fairly often when traveling, have power, and it feels damp. Works wonders.

I run it occasionally when parked at home when I think it could use drying out.

Had to deal with mildew in our last trailer one winter, don't care to do it again.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #7

Great replies as always- thanks everyone!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Here in the humid southeast, we're fine while camping with the Maxxfan and/or A/C running in our 21'. Our challenge is more when the camper is parked at home under a carport awaiting our next outing. I keep the Maxxfan lid up for ventilation, I prop the range hood vent flap open for a bit of cross-ventilation, and I keep all the inside drawers and doors open with dinette cushions propped up so air can move around throughout the camper. When I do a weekly check, sometimes it will just feel damp inside. So I plug in an old portable dehumidifier and run it for a couple days or until it feels dry inside again. It's impressive how much moisture a dehumidifier can pull out of the air inside the camper sometimes.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We bought and trimmed hypervent but ended up not using it. No condensation or mold issues under the cushions despite condensation on the walls and windows as others have discussed. We tip the cushions up on edge when the trailer is not being used.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I don’t have hypervent around the mattress- before picking the trailer up, I thought seriously about getting some but it wasn’t easily available near me. I’ve never had any problems with moisture on the walls in the 4 years I’ve had the 19. Whenever camped, I always keep the bathroom window open a crack and the max fan on at the lowest setting when the trailer door is closed.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedru View Post
Thanks Laura- I am going to put down the hypervent for sure... do you think humidity levels are high enough around here to need a dehumidifier at all when not using the trailer? Pretty new to this neck of the woods.
I've not used one nor have I thought much about getting one. But maybe I will after this thread! (And yes, I've seen it mentioned before; just forgot about it.)

I will open the cabinet doors & drawers a bit while the trailer is not in use to get air flowing around things. I've not propped up the cushions - didn't think about that, but since I have hypermesh all around 'em I probably won't. I also keep the bathroom door open and the blinds pulled - again while the trailer isn't in use. Bathroom door - airflow. Blinds - keep the sun off the cushions and my spiffy kitty-themed blankets on the bed. Can't have any fade issues, can we?

I'm also usually the only one using the trailer, so that might make some difference in the condensation issue.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote