I still get confused with the Battery Bypass Switch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I still get confused with the Battery Bypass Switch

Sorry for so few posts since I purchased my E19.

I can't seem to remember what position the Battery Bypass Switch should be in when:

1. Parked in the driveway with shore power (or at a site with shore power)

2. On the road plugged into the Taco

3. Stored with no shore power, just solar panel

Old people like me have brains that just don't always function like they did at age 27 (now 77). So, when I read the little sign by the switch it just doesn't seem to help. I am pretty sure the switch in OFF when I store the trailer with no power except the solar panel. But after that - crickets.....
sequimteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequimteeth View Post

I can't seem to remember what position the Battery Bypass Switch should be in when:

On, if you want the converter to help the solar panel charge the battery.

Absolutely On so the brakes will engage should the trailer become disconnected from the tow vehicle.

It doesn’t matter, your choice, but I would turn it off.

Old people like me have brains that just don't always function like they did at age 27 (now 77). So, when I read the little sign by the switch it just doesn't seem to help. I am pretty sure the switch in OFF when I store the trailer with no power except the solar panel. But after that - crickets.....
Hope this clears things up!
Old 09-26-2020, 06:51 PM   #3

Perfect. Thank you. Stay safe.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Old people like me have brains that just don't always function like they did at age 27...
Hate to point this out but you are not the only one ...

I leave a couple of the brightest overhead lamps turned on when planning to store the trailer. Then shut them off with the master cutoff switch. That way I am blinded when turning it back on. Removes any and all ambiguity which position the switch is in. So for a few minutes it is burned into my memory - then slowly fades away until the next occasion.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Keys

Light switches and keys are going to be the death of me.

I used to have a key ring at work that had at least 80 keys on the rings looped together. Since we did not want someone to know what they were for if they were lost, we letter stamped them with letter dies to our own code. It was whatever came to mind. Jones swimming pool was simply JP. When a taxpayer watchdog lady was extremely critical of the money we spent on a combination picnic shelter, concession stand and rest rooms at a new 38 field soccer complex she called the structure the Taj Mahal. That key became TAJ. And when the Aquatics director told me that the indoor pool was the most important facility we owned, the key that got you into the front door at Bender pool became BFD. Bender Front Door or
something like that.

I’m needing to stamp my keys for the house, garages and Escape these days but senility has robbed me of the memory of where I put all three sets of letter dies.

Lost my reading glasses again.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-26-2020, 11:10 PM   #6

Thank you. Such a silly ? I asked, as there are just two positions for the switch.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I labeled the switch to make it very clear what each position does.
Attached Thumbnails
DBF308CA-2689-4969-8FD6-B0AB2FD97DAD.jpeg  
Old 09-27-2020, 12:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I labeled the switch to make it very clear what each position does.
I did the same too . But then I moved the switch from out under the table and bought a quality marine switch . Don’t even need to think which way is on or off anymore and my knees appreciate not having to go under table . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not sure if that switch is really needed as I have never turned mine off, with solar and or plugged in. I can see it's usefulness with winter covers and limited solar.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Light switches and keys are going to be the death of me.

I used to have a key ring at work that had at least 80 keys on the rings looped together. Since we did not want someone to know what they were for if they were lost, we letter stamped them with letter dies to our own code. It was whatever came to mind. Jones swimming pool was simply JP. When a taxpayer watchdog lady was extremely critical of the money we spent on a combination picnic shelter, concession stand and rest rooms at a new 38 field soccer complex she called the structure the Taj Mahal. That key became TAJ. And when the Aquatics director told me that the indoor pool was the most important facility we owned, the key that got you into the front door at Bender pool became BFD. Bender Front Door or
something like that.

I’m needing to stamp my keys for the house, garages and Escape these days but senility has robbed me of the memory of where I put all three sets of letter dies.

Lost my reading glasses again.
Iowa Dave
It is good to know that others are going through what I am experiencing as we age, I keep buying replacements as it is easier than to look for the original.........
Old 09-27-2020, 06:58 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure if that switch is really needed as I have never turned mine off, with solar and or plugged in.
I always kept my old RV trailer plugged in, so I never worried about a battery disconnect. However, I read recently that some Propane Detectors have a life based on hours of operation. When the battery is disconnected, the Propane Detector isn't getting power, so it's 'clock' is not ticking towards replacement.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure if that switch is really needed as I have never turned mine off, with solar and or plugged in. I can see it's usefulness with winter covers and limited solar.
Good point Jim but one thing that is useful is to isolate battery power when working on any of the 12V circuits in the power center. When I wired in an exterior 12V outlet I was able to flip the switch off, do my work and then flip it back on. Didn’t have to mess with disconnecting the batteries.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:10 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
One sure way to find what you're looking for is to buy a replacement
Old 09-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
So that explains why I have 2 left hands..........
Old 09-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Funny story.

I have a bad habit of leaving tools where I last used them and my wife picks up after me by putting the tools away. She hates "mess".

I needed my stud finder and after searching everywhere for it and couldn't find it, I asked my wife if she knew where it was. Well, after explaining what it looked like, she said - no, I haven't seen it.

So down to the local hardware store to buy another one to be able to finish my project. Laid the tool down after using it, my wife picks it up and put it away in a drawer right next to the old one.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #16

Mmmm.....always wondered why I have 4 ea 25’ tape measures and 7 ea flathead drivers along with a Phillips head driver in the garage, storage room, kitchen and the truck. My iPhone....I have my watch to find my phone.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Nothing wrong with that, I have a 70' cellar, one end is the wood shop, the other is the everything else shop, I also have a large shed for all the outdoor work. I keep multiple sets of all the commonly used tools, got sick of constantly going to fetch what I needed.

I just counted, 6 tape measures, all in different spots.

Only have one stud finder and I'll bet my wife doesn't know what it looks like either.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #18

When to "off"

In my Casita days I was told that, yes, when on shore power the 110 does charge or assist the solar to charge the battery, BUT, that a few hours, perhaps overnight was sufficient for charging. After that, you should take the battery out of the circuit (switch to off) to avoid over charging. I know the electronics are supposed to prevent over charging but that is the protocol I use.

Quote:

gwolfe@wvi.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:16 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Multiples

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Nothing wrong with that, I have a 70' cellar, one end is the wood shop, the other is the everything else shop, I also have a large shed for all the outdoor work. I keep multiple sets of all the commonly used tools, got sick of constantly going to fetch what I needed.

I just counted, 6 tape measures, all in different spots.

Only have one stud finder and I'll bet my wife doesn't know what it looks like either.
I did not realize it but my wife had a stud finder with her when she went to college. The first time she went out with me the thing kept clicking back and forth. It was the metal plate in my head but she took it at its word, it had found a stud. 50 years later it’s still working. Rimshot please
Iowa Dave
Old 09-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Funny story.

I have a bad habit of leaving tools where I last used them and my wife picks up after me by putting the tools away. She hates "mess".

I needed my stud finder and after searching everywhere for it and couldn't find it, I asked my wife if she knew where it was. Well, after explaining what it looked like, she said - no, I haven't seen it.

So down to the local hardware store to buy another one to be able to finish my project. Laid the tool down after using it, my wife picks it up and put it away in a drawer right next to the old one.
Years ago my wife asked what I was doing when I was using a stud finder. I explained it was called a stud finder and she said she wouldn't mind having one of those.