I want to GPS chip my trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I think if I was going to consider a Spot device that I would pay the little extra and get the spot where you can push a button and get help. This way if you are out of cell range and someone has a medical emergency at a camp site you may also be able to save a life. Also cheap insurance if there are some armed undesirables outside trying to get in. Speaking of insurance...maybe some companies offer a reduction in insurance if you can prove you have a tracking/recovery device installed.

You make a good point here. In fact lots of white water captains have a Spot with them on the Grand and the Salmon. And the helping other's aspect makes me think about this.

Good idea!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I don't think a cellular solution is right for us, since we don't get phone reception anyway most of the time. This seems like it needs to be a true GPS solution. I would only need this once in a while.
GPS means Global Positioning System - it the system which determines the location of a device, and it works by just receiving signals from satellites. Whether the device is a SPOT tracker or a cell phone, the GPS works the same way - both are "true GPS".

If your concern is being out of phone reception, your issue is not with the GPS; it is with the system you would be using to communicate with the device, as Jon explained. For a cell phone, that's the mobile network (which you might not get service from); for a SPOT or similar device, it can be a satellite communications system.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
when I researched GPS tracking w/ emergency satellite messaging for my daughter's PCT hike, the Garmin InReach was the best I found. USB charged, weeks of battery life without a charge. the basic plan is $12/month with a 12 month commit, and updates your GPS location on a WWW accessible private map every 10 minutes. It uses the Iridium satellite communications network, which is global. you can send the equivalent of SMS messages to a preset notification list, and it has a SOS button that will call emergency services anywhere, including search and rescue to remote wilderness areas.

the InReach Explorer+ that I got for her journey also has a 1:24000 north american topo map preloaded, all this in a small handheld device about the size of a "Talkabout" walkie talkie. There's a cheaper SE version that doesn't have the mapping but does everything else.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #24

Thanks John:

I will look into that. That sounds about as good as I have heard.

It may not be cost effective to do this. I am just trying to understand options.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:36 PM   #25
Site Team

Another issue, Iridium satellite transponders such as the Spot and the Inreach need a clear view of the sky, I do not know how well they would work inside an Escape, especially one with the optional extra layers of insulation. Even in a forest, they have communications issues
Old 12-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Of course many communications antennas are covered with a protective shell and even located inside fiberglass communication shells. Some to help shed snow and ice, others to make then look better in a city environment.

Here is our club putting up a communication shell which holds the radio equipment and the 4 bay antenna inside. I am in that picture somewhere...spot Waldo...

Here is a link to way to many words on the subject.

https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:...s_d/thesis.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
8CED0F2B-85F7-4F0A-A447-503032AD6EED.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Here is our club putting up a communication shell which holds the radio equipment and the 4 bay antenna inside. I am in that picture somewhere...spot Waldo...

Here is a link to way to many words on the subject.

https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:...s_d/thesis.pdf

Ummm... That's quite a club you got there.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #28
Site Team

my concern was with the 2 layers of reflectix in the insulated Escapes, that could easily attentuate the ~1.7Ghz frequencies used by both Iridium and GPS
Old 12-07-2020, 11:30 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
You can do anything you set your mind to. The real question is how much does it cost?

I don't think a cellular solution is right for us, since we don't get phone reception anyway most of the time. This seems like it needs to be a true GPS solution. I would only need this once in a while.
Um, I guess you didn't understand my wacky sense of humor. Have you ever seen the movie, "2001: A Space Odyssey"? Here's the movie trailer...

When the computer takes over control and tells the astronaut, "I'm sorry, Dave..." this was probably the most memorable line in the movie.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
my concern was with the 2 layers of reflectix in the insulated Escapes, that could easily attentuate the ~1.7Ghz frequencies used by both Iridium and GPS
That would not work well at all.

I think in our trailer that may only be behind the fridge and/or shower.

In our 2018 we ordered the extra insolation and just got a thick foam from what I can see. I have cut out holes for 4 hatches and one port and only came across what you see pictured.
Attached Thumbnails
D42F76B5-88D0-49E9-883B-CDAC2E4E3BBA.jpg  

Old 12-08-2020, 07:21 AM   #31

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
I think if I was going to consider a Spot device that I would pay the little extra and get the spot where you can push a button and get help. This way if you are out of cell range and someone has a medical emergency at a camp site you may also be able to save a life. Also cheap insurance if there are some armed undesirables outside trying to get in. Speaking of insurance...maybe some companies offer a reduction in insurance if you can prove you have a tracking/recovery device installed.
'Armed Undesirables' Never heard them called that. I like it! I've encountered more than a few of that sort. Of course, they considered me one of those too.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:49 AM   #32

Oops. I for got to include the white extra insolation as it was called in 2018 in the previous picture.
Attached Thumbnails
4DA84B74-F2D6-4A18-9E22-866A3F5A1D5E.jpg  

Old 12-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Oops. I for got to include the white extra insolation as it was called in 2018 in the previous picture.

So this is the insulation in the wall?

Do I understand this correctly?

Is there anything else in there?
Old 12-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #34

Yes...wall and roof...basically anywhere you see the vinyl.

To better understand the build, I always recommend this video. About half way in you will see the white foam being applied, then the vinyl.

https://youtu.be/Wi6_KR_n_As

Old 12-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
My GPS tracking device is inside my trailer which has the optional extra insulation and the device works fine. Furthermore, I have an older iPhone powered on 100% of the time, “buried” where it is unlikely to be found as a backup to my GPS tracker and it can be located with the finder app readily. Neither the fiberglass nor the insulation prevents either from being readily tracked.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #36
Site Team

i see the reflectix and black foam just about everywhere the vinyl headliner isn't covering, under the bed, behind the fridge and cabinets, under the dinette benches, and presumably all the way up the walls and across the ceiling.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
i see the reflectix and black foam just about everywhere the vinyl headliner isn't covering, under the bed, behind the fridge and cabinets, under the dinette benches, and presumably all the way up the walls and across the ceiling.
I don't remember when, but Escape switched from reflectix to a foam product. My 2017 21 uses the foam.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 17 B
I plan on installing a GPS tracker in the Spring as I plan having tires & brake service on my 17.

Also, this past year I was at some state parks mid-week with low occupancy and was aware it would be so easy to roll away with my trailer even with a Proven Industries coupler lock installed.

Stories over at fiberglassrv and on facebook about trailers being stolen recently during these tough times. Super long wait time for a new replacement trailer these days.

I think I'll be installing the Trak-4 GPS Tracker which I saw referenced on fiberglassrv.
https://shop.trak-4.com/collections/...les-and-assets

AC0GV is using Trak-4, maybe PM him for more info:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post796090

Also, I've read about installing a microchip as a means of easing recovery as a further identification method in case of theft:
Post #21
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post793420
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
I think I'll be installing the Trak-4 GPS Tracker which I saw referenced on fiberglassrv.
https://shop.trak-4.com/collections/...les-and-assets
This looks pretty good, is hard wired, reasonable costs both one time and monthly. It costs $84 a year after the $48 initial purchase.

Nice!
Old 12-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #40

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
I use a trak-4. Since trailer is stored inside and can't get a GPS signal, it gives me Cell Tower Trilateration. Once trailer is moved out of barn, it picks up GPS. Paid $50 for device and paid $80 for a yearly plan. Battery lasts up to 12 months. Recharge via USB. Online monitoring.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote