Iced faucet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2016, 05:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Iced faucet

At 6 this morning when I got up temperature outside here at home was 16°F. This produced an immediate uh-oh. I hadn’t winterized. Been in and out doing little prep things. Night temps the last week were in very high 20’s, but I was gambling could make it to next Tuesday when we leave for a few days.

I go outside expecting the worst. First things first: Good news is shut-off valve to toilet was off. Checked the water pump, it was also fine, no leaks. No leaks under cabinets. Got up off my hands and knees, turned around, and that’s when I saw the 14-inch long curved kitchen sink faucet head lying down on the basin lid. There was solid ice visible at all exposed openings. This factory-standard swivel faucet screws down to the base with a plastic nut. Leaks are prevented with O-rings. Ice in the line pushed up and cracked the plastic hold-down nut, which then popped the faucet right off its base. The actual faucet may look like plastic but it is brass. No damage there.

Think the previous day I didn’t latch the trailer door shut. This may have been enough to influence air temperature at the sink overnight. Well, in any case I happened to have a tube of Weld-On #16 plastic cement, so I gave it a shot. “Good outdoor weatherability. Used by professionals for years.”

Think I will put a little ceramic heater in the trailer and run it tonight. Maybe I won’t be installing a neat-o new chrome faucet after all.
Attached Thumbnails
Faucet1.jpg  
Old 11-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron,
You are a risk taker, I give you that....glad it wasn't something bigger.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
16*F overnight! Glad I live in the Great White North. Hasn't even been close to freezing here. Yah, yah, I know, we get a lot or rain. But recent rain has been what we call the Pineapple Express. Tropical rain, lots of it, but warm.

Hope the repair holds. Your experience will probably nudge a few others who haven't yet got round to doing the winterizing thing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I've had great luck with Bondic for these types of repairs. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #5

I waited a good 24 hours-plus before re-attaching the glued-up plastic spigot nut to the kitchen sink and testing for strength. Weld-on #16 tube said give it that time to cure.

Hoo-hah, No leaks!
Old 11-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
You are a brave man Myron.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:33 PM   #7

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
water freezing

We left the Midwest( Nov2nd) just in time if we would have waited we would be having frozen pipes also .I see the weather is terrible for towing a trailer through the Midwest this last week . It took us about 8 days to get back to Naples Fl. This was visiting friends on the way .
Now here is my Question if one is caught in a freezing situation do you empty your tanks and blow out the water lines or can you continue with the furnace on ? Let say you know you will be in warmer weather in a few days ? We never had propane before so not knowing what to expect . Living in SW Fl. has its advantages in the Winter .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #8

If you have the foam package it will give you some margin for error. With the heat on at night and towing during the day in above freezing temperatures you should be fine. All of the water lines are inside and exposed to the heat until you get home.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Turn up the heat and drive. [emoji6]
Cheers
Doug
Old 11-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #10

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
water freezing

We got the thermal windows and insulation package but no bottom foam living in Fl. I didn't think we needed it ? I just walked back to the trailer its cold inside probably in low 40's tonight
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:44 PM   #11

IMHO of course you don't need it. Not to worry.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Got a small stainless hose clamp in your toolkit just in case?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
When we picked up in Nov last year, Reace recommended to drive with the furnace on if we encountered freeze on the way home. We had temps in ID down to 0 and followed his advice. No issues. Never used the onboard tank, but we had full hookups at several sites before heading home.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #14

Still not winterized. Well it was another really cold night here yesterday and another in the teens likely tonight but am I worried? Of course not. I got my ceramic heater in there to keep it warm.

But, check this out -- picture shows my door is shut, but the rubber gasket clearly is not doing its job! No wonder I had ice. Very discouraging.
Attached Thumbnails
door1.jpg  
Old 11-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have similar, ETI jammed some 1/2" round foam behind the door gasket here and there to get a better seal. Not perfect but it'll do. Of course it tends to fall out occasionally.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
I just spent 6 days over Thanksgiving boondocking on my 81 acres I just bought in the Ozarks (beautiful property wedged in a corner bordered by state conservation and National Park Service land). Cooked Thanksgiving dinner in Dutch ovens.

Anyway, it unexpectedly got down to 24 degrees F two nights in a row but I was happy that with the thermal windows, extra insulation and spray foam insulation underneath, plus running the furnace at night I had no problems with frozen pipes.

Glad I payed for all that. I might be tempted to camp off and on all winter. I do need to look into having some electricity pulled from the lines along the dirt road so I'll have AC in the summer.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #17

Nindy,
Wen you get some electric you will have to invite some friends and have a mini Escape rally....
Old 12-01-2016, 06:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Still not winterized. Well it was another really cold night here yesterday and another in the teens likely tonight but am I worried? Of course not. I got my ceramic heater in there to keep it warm.

But, check this out -- picture shows my door is shut, but the rubber gasket clearly is not doing its job! No wonder I had ice. Very discouraging.
Myron, that gasket was a common issue with the curved doors, like others you merely add some weatherstripping being the gasket and it will seal tight.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #19

I was at a loss about what remedy would work to neatly close those gaps. Bob's suggestion to pull the gasket out, away from the door rim and stuff some padding in there to bulk it out is looking like the best, least ugly answer.

Despite this continuing wave of real cold weather and not having the under carriage insulation the trailer though not yet winterized has not suffered, faucet excepted. By the way, my glue job on it has held.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I was at a loss about what remedy would work to neatly close those gaps. Bob's suggestion to pull the gasket out, away from the door rim and stuff some padding in there to bulk it out is looking like the best, least ugly answer.

Despite this continuing wave of real cold weather and not having the under carriage insulation the trailer though not yet winterized has not suffered, faucet excepted. By the way, my glue job on it has held.
Don't pull too hard - it is glued on. Just fold the seal back and cram some backer rod behind it. (Or other foam material.) Also you may need to remove some existing (gray) foam/backer (not the black seal itself) if parts of the door are too tight.

https://www.amazon.com/Closed-Cell-B.../dp/B001OBTZ1E
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote