Icon Propane Tank Cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2022, 09:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Icon Propane Tank Cover

Several folks have recently talked about changing their hitch or electric jack and finding their standard Escape propane tank cover became a tight fit after these mods. I had this same issue after changing my hitch which resulted in my jack being moved back towards the storage box. I was able to use my original cover but did not like the friction fit on both the jack head and storage box lid when I put it in place. I did not want to use a soft cover for the same reasons others have discussed. The hard Icon cover was a simple solution, with an easy optional mod to improve how it looks.

Icon makes two versions of their cover. One has a closed top and the other has a hatch to access the valves and change over lever. I chose to go with the solid version as I have always just removed the cover as needed but either version should be a workable improvement in fit.

The original Escape cover is roughly 15 inches front to back with two raised ears. The Icon covers do not have these ears so are only 13 inches front to back. Being 2 inches narrower front to back makes all the difference. I now have open clearance between the cover and both the storage box lid and the jack head.

The Icon cover is tall enough to fit 30-pound tanks. Cutting off about 5-1/2 inches makes it the same height as the original cover. I chose to cut off about 4-7/8 inches in order to use the lowest original holes used to bolt the two halves together. You could easily drill holes and move these, but I wanted to keep the larger designed bolting surface areas. Icon provides 7 quality SS #10 screws and nylon lock nuts but no washers. I would recommend getting 14 SS washers, either #10 or 5mm, prior to assembling this cover to strengthen the bolt areas.

I’ll try to post photos tomorrow or Tuesday when I have my 13 year old tech support here…

Stay healthy and safe travels,
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:15 AM   #2

Doug,
I have a 2017 E19 and after swivelling my jack electrical head 90 degrees, to get tailgate clearance, I ran into a tight fit with propane cover between jack head lights and storage box. It was possible to remove but not a simple straight drop onto frame. I solved my problem by rotating between the tanks the switching lever device bracket so it faced aft. This allowed clearance to pull it up without as you noted the ear projections on cover getting hung up on jack head light.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:22 PM   #3

Sorry for the delay in getting these photos posted. I had some unexpected issues come up.

These photos show a comparison of the original Escape cover and the Icom cover as bought and as cut to fit, the fit of the original cover and the Icom cover.

In my layout there is a significant improvement in clearance behind the cover, and while the front clearance doesn't look like much it is much easier to fit into place.

If you have a tight fit with your propane cover I would recommend this change.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
covers compared.jpg   cover cut down.jpg   Escape cover fit.jpg   New cover fit.jpg  
Old 01-28-2022, 10:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Use a tiedown for the cover?

Thanks for the info about the icon cover. I have the same problem and after rotating the jack head 90 degrees today the original propane cover still does not fit between the storage box and jack head. The original cover has a bungee cord at the bottom presumably to hold the cover down while traveling. My question is, is that necessary? Thx.
DougO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:33 PM   #5

I know a bungee cord comes with the original cover but I never used mine. I have never had a problem not using one in 30 years of trailering. I imagine other folks might have more wisdom and knowledge about using it.

I will be field testing my new arrangement in a few weeks and will post if I have any problems with it. Also, for reference, the original cover is 15" front to back while the Icom is 13".

Doug
Old 01-29-2022, 05:45 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For safety reasons I have always attached a bungee underneath to secure the cover, cheap insurance.....
Old 01-29-2022, 07:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I have bungee’d and never lost a cover. I have had friends lose covers. So it’s rare, but does happen. I’d not want mine being that odd one flying into traffic. So, I bungee. I’ve had to replace a few bungees over the years. They weaken and break over time.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:35 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just purchased some new ones.....https://www.amazon.com/NoOne-Elastic...1&sr=8-21&th=1
Old 01-29-2022, 09:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve mentioned before that I am fascinated by the treasures I see in the ditch, median or shoulder of the road. My favorite thing is to be a passenger so I can look out the side window. I don’t get to do this a lot. However, I can tell you that I see at least one propane tank cover, air conditioner cover, metal vent cover or spare tire cover along the road about every trip I take. In the past 8 years I’ve seen 2 solar panels. Pickup bed liners and large plastic tanks that blow out of pickup beds are not rare, just uncommon.

As stated, a bungee cord is an easy and cheap device to keep the tank cover in place. In addition we have 2 zip ties near the “snap”hinges on the inspection cover should the nuts be improperly tightened after accessing for inspection.

A few years ago a person brought a cover without the inspection lid to the free tarp at the Wine Escape. I asked if they knew replacement covers were available. They didn’t know that and took their cover back. If they bought a cover and made themselves whole, they will never need it. It’s the mysterious “snowblower syndrome”, regulated by Murphy’s Law, Book 16, chapter 8 page 4, paragraph 2 “Diminished Wallet”.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I think that there's another option depending on which generation box cover you have.

The first generation boxes had a lid that had a recessed area in the center. I believe that the mold was designed so that when the box was installed it would slope forward and let water to drain from the recess. Therefore, when they redesigned a new lid it's an "outie" and doesn't require that box be sloped forward. However to have it sit level would require a new mold which is expensive.

I've always disliked the look of the "box falling forward look" so I didn't have my box installed. Using wedges, I mounted mine level, the water drains fine and this increased the clearance between the propane tank cover and the box as well as giving me space behind the tank for a transverse storage tube.

Easy to do mod.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
10-01-2007 3-19-52 AM_0026_resize.jpg   11-01-2007 3-58-17 AM_0029_resize.jpg   21-09-2019 3-23-29 PM_0004_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The first generation boxes had a lid that had a recessed area in the center. I believe that the mold was designed so that when the box was installed it would slope forward and let water to drain from the recess. Therefore, when they redesigned a new lid it's an "outie" and doesn't require that box be sloped forward. However to have it sit level would require a new mold which is expensive.
Ron
I compared my 2019 box installation with the raised center lid to David Bennett's 2017 with a recessed lid. He actually has slightly better clearance from the propane cover than mine. I will have to look to see if his box tilts forward more but I don't think it does. I don't think I have a lot of room to tilt the box back for better clearance..
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
As the second owner of a first generation 19, I always wondered about the bungee cord at the bottom of the tank cover. Now I know. I discarded it early on with no ill effects so far. Maybe I'll put a new one on.

The falling forward look of the box bothered me at first, but I've gotten used to it. The original owner bought the trailer before the box was available, went up to the factory to have it installed when it became available. At the same time, he had the dual batteries moved from their original location under the dinette seat to the storage box--a very good move, in my opinion. The falling forward look is necessitated by the need for room on the frame rails for attaching the hardware for a weight distributing hitch between the front of the box and the pan for the propane tanks. Just one of those unsightly compromises it's not really practical to get around.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I looked at trying Ron's level box as well when resurfacing the box and it didn't work for me either. Perhaps it is the difference in not having the box installed to begin with that made that possible for him as he drilled original holes to mount vs. trying to retrofit a flat plane with original holes.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:25 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Perhaps it is the difference in not having the box installed to begin with that made that possible for him as he drilled original holes to mount vs. trying to retrofit a flat plane with original holes.
That's pretty much it. You can one but not both. Use the original holes and the box stays in the same place.

I used the original holes in the frame and drilled what would have been new holes if the box had been previously mounted.

I located the box by: standing the box upright and making wedges that made the lid level. Then I opened the lid 90* and moved the box rearward until the lid was about 1/4" from the shell.

I was happy to have room enough at the rear to install a storage tube.

What worked for me not work on other models.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've always disliked the look of the "box falling forward look"
Ron

I've heard others say the same thing and I don't understand why you dislike it. Personally I do like it. It suites the forward slope of the lower part of the trailer and adds to it's over all esthetics. What I didn't like was how they mounted the spare tire off centre. One of the first changes I made was to centre it and this allowed me to install dual 12 volt batteries.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
What I didn't like was how they mounted the spare tire off centre.
Perhaps to counter the weight of the single battery, which is off-centre.
Old 01-30-2022, 03:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Perhaps to counter the weight of the single battery, which is off-centre.

You are probably right but it looked really odd.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
I got an Icon cover, cut about 4 inches off the bottom and it fits fine between the storage box and power tongue jack. I also put eye bolts in the lowest holes that hold the front & back covers together, and use that for a bungee cord to keep it from coming loose.
DougO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 03:51 PM   #19

Trailer: E19 due summer 2023, 1940 Waco UPF-7
We just picked up our 2023 Escape 19. The propane cover is rubbing/pressing against the front storage box and the electric tongue jack, and there is no room to move either for more clearance. I am going to rotate the electric tongue jack 90 degrees and that will make matters worse. I’m thinking about using a heat gun and some kind of simple jig to reshape the cover ears a 1/2” or so on the front and back to improve clearance. My concern is keeping it symmetrical and not goofy looking. Or I could slice out a section of the ears and glue them back together, glueing them together would require melting the cut out scrap in straight MEK in a glass jar, but that’s still going to leave a line and possibly a bigger mess.
Any thoughts on these ideas are appreciated.
Thanks
Nelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 08:42 AM   #20
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelo View Post
We just picked up our 2023 Escape 19. The propane cover is rubbing/pressing against the front storage box and the electric tongue jack, and there is no room to move either for more clearance. I am going to rotate the electric tongue jack 90 degrees and that will make matters worse. I’m thinking about using a heat gun and some kind of simple jig to reshape the cover ears a 1/2” or so on the front and back to improve clearance. My concern is keeping it symmetrical and not goofy looking. Or I could slice out a section of the ears and glue them back together, glueing them together would require melting the cut out scrap in straight MEK in a glass jar, but that’s still going to leave a line and possibly a bigger mess.
Any thoughts on these ideas are appreciated.
Thanks
The bolt holes on the frame are slotted so there may be some adjustment you can make by loosening the storage box bolts. I had to take mine off and found I could move it forward and back a fare bit. This may depend on where the holes are drilled in the storage box. Worth looking at if you haven't already.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote