If you ever tried to Join FiberglassRV and could not - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #1

Trailer: None now
If you ever tried to Join FiberglassRV and could not

I noticed Donna directing someone to FiberglassRV to post an Ad.

For a few years I had occasionally attempted to join that site and it refused my attempts with no reason given.
That did not bother me as I could still read what was posted so I just tried joining once in awhile. After a couple years of this I decided to send a note asking why to the Admins. One of them let me know I was blacklisted which surprised me.

Here is what I found.

FiberglassRv uses a service that depends on Blacklist to detect undesirables like spammers DOS servers and such. It detected my address from Comcast Xfinity as being blacklisted. So I was prevented from joining. When I finally sent a note I was manually entered as a member.

Checking I found two sites list the entire range of IP addresses from 73.27.0.0. to 73.27.255.255 as as blacklisted. Attempting to get them to remove it was futile. So they have blocked a large block of Xfinity customers in the south east from any site or email recipient that depends on Blacklist from the two sites in red.
I tried contacting Comcast and they too did not seem to care.
So if someone tries to join FiberglassRV and it does not allow you to send them a note. If you really belong on a blacklist ignore what I just said
If your IP address falls into the ranges I show it explains why email does not always get delivered to recipients and why sites like FiberglassRV will not allow you to join.
Attached Thumbnails
blacklist.png  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Janet, the administrator on this site is also over on FGRV, so if you have any issues, contact her or a moderator here or over there, these issues are easily resolved.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Janet, the administrator on this site is also over on FGRV, so if you have any issues, contact her or a moderator here or over there, these issues are easily resolved.

Mine was resolved. If I had known that was the problem I could have joined using my Cell Phone Data which is a different IP address.
After you are a member it apparently does not need to verify you anymore so my Comcast address is now OK to use.
That was just an FYI if anyone else is denied access.
For me the bigger issue is there are sites that block my email due to the whole range of addresses being blacklisted. Which is why it surprised me that Comcast did not seem to care.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The same has happened to people here, as the same owner for both sites.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
That is obviously an error, to blacklist an entire Class B subnet. Perhaps the FGRV Admin can inquire with their server hosting service.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Even blocking a single IP address which was misused is likely not appropriate. Unlike the fantasy world of television crime shows, IP addresses in the real world are not permanent and reliable identifiers of individuals. I have used a mobile internet connection for years (due to lack of other services at my home), and so my IP address is dynamic - the specific IP address that I appear with one day may have been used by someone else entirely (another customer of the same mobile service provider) the day before. Even a wired service that provides a static address can re-assign that address to a new customer at any moment.

A static address is like a phone number (it means something but can change), while a dynamic address is likely largely meaningless by the time an administrator types it into a security tool.

Thanks wetzk for tracking down this issue and sharing the results. Faced with an erroneous IP address block, I would register from a mobile device as suggested, or from a computer at the public library.

Another variant of this problem is blocking email addresses by domain. I have used Hotmail (now Outlook, but my address is still in the @hotmail.com domain) and occasionally found a business tossing all messages from hotmail.com as spam, because it has been misused so often. The only practical way around that is to have an alternate email account available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Hotmail is dead but evidently not buried. My old hotmail address I was told was compromised and which I therefore ultimately deleted, or thought I had. I say that because for some maddening reason it still comes up as my automatic mailing address even though I have changed addresses with (I thought) everyone.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Hotmail is dead but evidently not buried.
The brand just changed, and Microsoft started issuing addresses under new domains corresponding to the new names (Live, then Outlook). The supporting software has changed of course, but the service still lives and the hotmail.com addresses still work just like live.com and outlook.com.

Similarly, mac.com, me.com, and icloud.com are all domains-of-the-day for generations of the same Apple service... although me.com and mac.com content had to be transferred to the iCloud service - it wasn't completely transparent. The old addresses (at least mac.com, in my experience) still work.

Blacklists can be by IP address (or range) or domain, so changing to a new domain name can avoid problems with old ones. Anyone who uses the Microsoft suite of services and has problems with using hotmail.com can just get an Outlook.com address without changing software, (and a blocked me.com or mac.com user can just use the icloud.com equivalent) and this can be a way to work around inappropriate blacklisting.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #9

Dealing with Comcast was an exercise in frustration. First they do not use email. They use online forums , Facebook and phone service and twitter. The forums were worthless as 99.99% of those who respond are other users. The one who might have been from Comcast suggested to call them. I do not use twitter and have no desire to be on Facebook.

Calling them gets you to a card reader. They work by listening for Keywords. Say for instance you are having problem with your WAN IP address being blacklisted. Person from Comcast types that in and tells you how to find the IP address of your machine. But that's not what I was asking. After going round and round I finally get them to bump me up a level. They will call shortly. Yeah sure.

After multiple times I finally get sent to the advanced card reader. OK, power cycle your modem. Turn it off for 10 minutes and it will change. No it won't. Comcast WAN addresses are sticky. They say they are dynamic but in real life you can leave the modem off for a month and it will not change. What will change is the internal dynamic addresses. The only way for me to get the WAN address to change would be to change the MAC address. Which cannot be masqueraded in a Comcast supplied modem. So I needed to bring my modem in since they do not seem to know how to force it to release. And doing that only changed the minors of the WAN address. Which is what I expected.

One thing I have learned. I'm not alone, and its not just the 73.27.x.x addresses. If you google Comcast IP addresses blacklisted it affected other Comcast users too. And each time it is the same 2 blacklist providers who do it. But as I discovered you can't beat city hall or in this case get Comcast to do something about addresses being blacklisted.

If I was a loud squeaky wheel or someone important I could probably finally get to the appropriate person but since I'm not oh well. Shortly Comcast and the other internet providers are probably going to get a big present from the FCC. Which should make them even more consumer unfriendly.

Contacting Spamhaus and Sorbs was also a waste of time. They block entire ranges because of multiple addressee having zombie machines on them that are not being removed. Apparently they just block the whole range when they detect it at multiple addressee . I was told to get another WAN address which I cannot do. So Cell phone Data will fill in when needed.

I know they want to call themselves Xfinity now, but I am used to Comcast and that's what my email address from them says so that's what I call them.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #10
Site Team

There are several ways to change your IP. I use a VPN. Doesn't matter what IP your ISP assigns you (usually via DHCP as Brian mentioned), a VPN means as far as the website is concerned, you're coming from the IP of the VPN provider, not your ISP.

Right now I can connect to a VPN as if my traffic was coming from China, the UK, Mexico, or any number of other countries.

If you don't want to bother with a Proxy or a VPN, the fix here is not to deal with Comcast, but the entity that blacklisted a bunch of their IP space.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
There are several ways to change your IP. I use a VPN. Doesn't matter what IP your ISP assigns you (usually via DHCP as Brian mentioned), a VPN means as far as the website is concerned, you're coming from the IP of the VPN provider, not your ISP.

Right now I can connect to a VPN as if my traffic was coming from China, the UK, Mexico, or any number of other countries.

If you don't want to bother with a Proxy or a VPN, the fix here is not to deal with Comcast, but the entity that blacklisted a bunch of their IP space.
True, but the decent ones are not low cost or free. And most are for use with torrents which I am not interested in. I am familiar with them, I had to use one to connect with our companies network. That is another layer of complexity that I hope to avoid.

I spend enough already for internet and will use my cell phone data when I am aware of problems. I tried to resolve this with Spamhaus and SORBS, one user is not going to get anywhere with them.

My main reason for posting it was so others might be aware of why sites like FiberglasRV will not let them on. And if it does to send them a note.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #12

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You're one of those nefarious people that the geeks on the TV shows track all around the world, aren't you, Robert?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:45 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
True, but the decent ones are not low cost or free. And most are for use with torrents which I am not interested in.
Nor I! I use a VPN for work related purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You're one of those nefarious people that the geeks on the TV shows track all around the world, aren't you, Robert? [emoji23]
I wish! Nothing that glamorous or exciting. Just your average cyber security engineer.