I'm new and not a technical gal - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2022, 04:14 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17A 2019
I'm new and not a technical gal

Hi, my Escape 17A was purchased in 2019. Due to covid I was unable to get back to Canada. I contacted Escape due to cabinet cupboard doors falling off, roof vent cover blowing away and
most importantly trailer brake failure. They will not help me, said my warranty expired and essentially I need to deal with the issues. I go to Chilliwack to work with a dog trainer and could easily stop by ETI. No offer for me to do that. I'm not happy with the response but regardless I need to have my brakes checked. I may have set the controls wrong (no information was given to me when I purchased trailer) or whatever. I took trailer to Les Schwab and supposedly they know trailer brakes. All he did was grease bearings. My question is: where can I get it checked out and what should I ask the technician. Any help for an older, seriously trailer ignorant person will be appreciated
LadyEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Hi, and welcome to the forum,

I can assure you that there's more than enough help on this forum to deal with each of your issues.

The key to getting useable and accurate help is to describe each of your issues as accurately as possible. A lot of the time a photo helps. Posting photos is easy and helps others pinpoint specific advice.

OK, I'll take an easy one, no photo required.

Cupboard door falling off. Not uncommon especially after driving on rough roads. The screws are small diameter and they go into soft 1/8" plywood over soft pine framing. Not ideal.

Two fixes. Remove door, make or use a toothpick size piece of wood, put glue in the hole and stick in. Reinsert the door hinges screws. The new wood and glue will make the hole stronger and that'll probably finish the job.

Because I often drive on rough roads I use a different tougher fix on any door that has a problem. I use something called a machine screw, a small diameter bolt, that goes right through the framing and has a nut on the back. Pretty bomb proof.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I have a 2020 19 and haven't had the wheels off to check my brakes yet. The trailer is still to new to worry about it. You likely have a wiring issue. Possibilies are a broken wire at the brakes, broken wire at the plug, no contact at the plug, brake controller defective or not wired correctly.

I would contact the dealer that you already took it too and see if they can fix the problem. If not, find another dealer that could help. I would suggest going to a shop that sells truck accessories and hitches. Maybe you have a mechanic you deal with. Any mechanic could fix this issue. My mechanic has many trailers and is familiar with trailer brakes and controllers.

There is many videos on Youtube, you could spend days watching videos on trailer brakes and the controller. Make sure you understand how to set the controller. Read the manual. It may save your life.

It's rather unfortunate Escape won't help or didn't give you more advice when you picked up the trailer but they have changed the way they do business and owners need to find a local shop or fix it themselves.

Yeah, Post 1000
Old 08-01-2022, 05:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyEscape View Post
Hi, my Escape 17A was purchased in 2019. Due to covid I was unable to get back to Canada. I contacted Escape due to cabinet cupboard doors falling off, roof vent cover blowing away and
most importantly trailer brake failure. They will not help me, said my warranty expired and essentially I need to deal with the issues. I go to Chilliwack to work with a dog trainer and could easily stop by ETI. No offer for me to do that. I'm not happy with the response but regardless I need to have my brakes checked. I may have set the controls wrong (no information was given to me when I purchased trailer) or whatever. I took trailer to Les Schwab and supposedly they know trailer brakes. All he did was grease bearings. My question is: where can I get it checked out and what should I ask the technician. Any help for an older, seriously trailer ignorant person will be appreciated
Escape Trailers is a manufacturer, not a dealer. Repairs should be done locally. they are not equipped to work on customer units once it leaves the factory.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17A 2019
Thank you Ron in BC

Thanks for replying to my post. Could not find how to reply directly so I hope you see this. You are very helpful
LadyEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:59 PM   #6

You're welcome.

Since the brakes are the most important item, let's narrow that topic down.

Did the brakes originally work? Did you feel them working?

What make is your tow vehicle? What brand is your controller?

Have you tried pulling on the breakaway cable to see if it locks up the brakes?

Trouble shooting is a methodical step-by-step process that will eventually pin point the problem.

Ron
Old 08-01-2022, 06:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
This info for you is on the right track. If you don’t want, or feel confident about brakes, a place that sells horse, cargo, or utility trailers will usually be best for trailer brakes.

As to the vent, they are replaceable. A mobile RV tech might be your best option unless you want to do it. Some, but not all, RV techs are competent on brakes also.

This forum has a wealth of collective knowledge if you are patient and willing to work through this on your own. So, you can do this, or with some searching, find professional help.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:10 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
every time I set out, when my vehicle is warmed up, and I'm cruising/coasting at moderate low speed on a flat stretch, I reach down and cycle the brake controller's manual override lever a couple times, you should feel the trailer pulling the tow vehicle back.

trailer brake controllers should have a 'gain' knob on them, these needs to be adjusted suitably for the combination of trailer and tow vehicle, such that when braking fairly hard, the trailer brakes do NOT lock up, but do contribute significantly to slowing the rig. I basically go about 45, briefly apply the brakes fairly hard, and increase this adjustment til the trailer wheels start to lock up, then back it down a bit til they don't skid but still supply significant braking.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyEscape View Post
I took trailer to Les Schwab and supposedly they know trailer brakes. All he did was grease bearings. My question is: where can I get it checked out and what should I ask the technician. Any help for an older, seriously trailer ignorant person will be appreciated
You should take it back to Schwab and tell them they didn't adjust & inspect the brakes. At the time it would have been maybe another $20 tops for a single axle.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
That B.S. They certainly ARE equipped, just lack a profit motive. The founders of this company did help people out of warranty at a reasonable rate.

Seriously- anyone who has been on this Forum for five years knows you sound like a shill for KV Capital- owner of Escape Trailer LTD.
remember, CPA just buys a new trailer every time it runs out of propane.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:13 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
You should take it back to Schwab and tell them they didn't adjust & inspect the brakes. At the time it would have been maybe another $20 tops for a single axle.
and really, if you don't know how, you should have them check the tow vehicle's trailer brake controller adjustment.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:18 PM   #12

Could we please keep this thread on track.

Such comments are of little help to a person looking for assistance.

Ron
Old 08-01-2022, 09:32 PM   #13
Site Team

sorry, I left out the smiley on my wise crack
Old 08-01-2022, 09:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The toothpick in the screw hole is fried and true and usually works. If the hole is wallered out ( technical term for too big for just one toothpick, you can buy a product called JB Weld for wood. It’s an epoxy putty that you knead together and make a little worm and force it in the screw hole and ouch it down with a toothpick or tiny piece of wire. Follow the directions, put the screw back in and you’re golden. But try the tooth pick and some wood glue first.

The advice to go to a trailer shop or repair shop that deals in axles and frames is a better choice than Les Schwab and about any camper dealer and some mobile RV techs are very good and very competent. Sorry you’re having some problems, once you get them ironed out I’m sure you will enjoy your Escape. Ask questions and take pictures, saves a lot of descriptive typing.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-02-2022, 12:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
No question that the current ownership/management has decided to change the customer service approach that established the high regard that owners have held for Escape for many years. And, they have very right to do so.

But, it is a bit tough to balance that change while listening to the President of the company wax poetic at the recent rally about how Escape owners are “family”.

Maybe the kind if family that shows you the door when you turn 18, perhaps.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:59 AM   #16

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
No question that the current ownership/management has decided to change the customer service approach that established the high regard that owners have held for Escape for many years. And, they have very right to do so.

But, it is a bit tough to balance that change while listening to the President of the company wax poetic at the recent rally about how Escape owners are “family”.

Maybe the kind if family that shows you the door when you turn 18, perhaps.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:19 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Escape Trailers is a manufacturer, not a dealer. Repairs should be done locally. they are not equipped to work on customer units once it leaves the factory.

Given that ETI has no dealers anywhere, maybe they could consider setting up a network of 'Authorized Service Centers' where owners could get knowledgeable warranty and post-warranty service.

Of course it would probably mean adding a staff person, but it might pay real dividends for owner relations, which they do seem to value.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post

Yah, I kind of rolled my eyes when I heard that. But it was easier to be family in "the old days." Much fewer numbers and more comparatively local folks.

Wow, this must set a record for going OT. Starts off with a new member asking for help and goes South right away.

Don't be discouraged LadyEscape, the helps still here, you just have to wade through a bit non-topic stuff sometimes, well, a lot of the time.

Ron
Old 08-02-2022, 04:18 PM   #19

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Given that ETI has no dealers anywhere, maybe they could consider setting up a network of 'Authorized Service Centers' where owners could get knowledgeable warranty and post-warranty service.
I know ETI had plans for just this type network around the time they spoke of establishing a manufacturing facility in the US. Covid hit and screwed it all up. Haven’t heard an update lately.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:45 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’ll second Ron. Wade through the off topic stuff and folks will still be here to help. I’ve wandered off the topic at times as well.

Tags
escape 17 brakes