I'm seeking your intelligent input with my wonky AC ... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2020, 08:24 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
I'm seeking your intelligent input with my wonky AC ...

I have an air conditioning issue that I want feedback from ya’ll before I contact Dometic. I’ve been lurking other forums and it appears Dometic will offer help when it doesn’t cost them very much. I’d like to hear any suggestions, success stories, or other input you may have to offer. I have a 2017 Escape 19 and I am experiencing erratic behavior from the air conditioner. We are equipped with a Dometic air conditioning controlled by the Dometic Captive Touch thermostat model 3316410 (cool / furnace.) We like the fan to run continuously on low with the compressor turning on and off as needed. Our first problem is the CT thermostat isn’t always responsive to my touch. When it is there is often a lag between the time I touch it and when it responds. This is somewhat of a minor problem compared to how it controls the AC. With the fan set to either low or auto the compressor doesn’t always turn on when the set point is above the ambient temp in the cabin. If I fiddle with the tstat enough it eventually comes on and runs ok for a while, but on occasion demons and goblins take over and the fan and compressor and switch wildly between modes. The fan will stop, then turn on high without the compressor. Then everything will stop and then turn back on with the compressor. Then it will stop and … etc etc etc. I really don’t like the CT thermostat, but from searching other forums it appears I’m stuck with it.
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21
You can pull the cover off and check the connections. The buttons are capacitance type so they don't need to be pressed, just touched.
If everything seems OK I'd get another thermostat.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21
Here's a thread about replacement thermostats
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tat-18397.html
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
I have an air conditioning issue that I want feedback from ya’ll before I contact Dometic. I’ve been lurking other forums and it appears Dometic will offer help when it doesn’t cost them very much. I’d like to hear any suggestions, success stories, or other input you may have to offer. I have a 2017 Escape 19 and I am experiencing erratic behavior from the air conditioner. We are equipped with a Dometic air conditioning controlled by the Dometic Captive Touch thermostat model 3316410 (cool / furnace.) We like the fan to run continuously on low with the compressor turning on and off as needed. Our first problem is the CT thermostat isn’t always responsive to my touch. When it is there is often a lag between the time I touch it and when it responds. This is somewhat of a minor problem compared to how it controls the AC. With the fan set to either low or auto the compressor doesn’t always turn on when the set point is above the ambient temp in the cabin. If I fiddle with the tstat enough it eventually comes on and runs ok for a while, but on occasion demons and goblins take over and the fan and compressor and switch wildly between modes. The fan will stop, then turn on high without the compressor. Then everything will stop and then turn back on with the compressor. Then it will stop and … etc etc etc. I really don’t like the CT thermostat, but from searching other forums it appears I’m stuck with it.

Same answer as on Facebook.

Escape warns that the thermostat is a capacitive touch sensor and does not need, nor should it be pushed. Pushing it smashes the foam behind it damaging the thermostat's touch sensor, causing the behavior you describe.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
Thanks, all -

Thanks, A knowledgeable friend explained some advanced basics of air conditioning. He explained that the control unit of the AC has a 5 minute buffer to keep the unit from overcycling. The erratic behavior is from changing the set point too often and too quickly. Like most things you gotta slow down so you can hurry up.
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac demons, captive touch