Importing Trailer from US into Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2018, 07:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19’ Sold in 2023
Importing Trailer from US into Canada

After searching this forum and not seeing anyone having gone thru the import process to bring a used Escape back into Canada....

Has anyone gone thru the process?
If so how painful?
I've been thru customs many many times and have a Nexus?
I've also thought of stopping on my next trip into the US and asking the customs people how the process works...

What advice is out there please? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duer View Post
After searching this forum and not seeing anyone having gone thru the import process to bring a used Escape back into Canada....

Has anyone gone thru the process?
If so how painful?
I've been thru customs many many times and have a Nexus?
I've also thought of stopping on my next trip into the US and asking the customs people how the process works...

What advice is out there please? Thanks.
I purchased an Escape 15B in New Mexico in August 2017 and imported it back into Canada. Was a fairly straight forward process. Here are a few comments:
1) Before leaving Alberta, I obtained an "In transit" permit for the trailer. It was only valid from the Montana-Alberta border to my home near Edmonton. I put the permit in the rear window of the trailer in Wyoming where I had met the seller with the trailer, and took a chance that if stopped the police would not bother with it.
2) When leaving US to enter Canada with new trailer, the US customs was not at all interested in any details. I went into their office with my paperwork but they did not want to see a camper trailer. They said they were only interested if it had an engine and was self propelled.
3) Reported the purchase to Canada border services at the border. They asked a few questions. I showed them my documentation (for sale ad, bill of sale, transfer of title form, etc). They filled out a form for the RIV program and had me pay GST on the full purchase price of the trailer. You cannot proceed without paying.
4) Once home, I registered online into the RIV program https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx I paid the RIV fees (don't remember but was about $300?) and made an appointment to have the trailer inspected at Canadian Tire (who are certified RIV inspectors - )
5) Had to pay some small additional fees at Canadian tire for tire recycling (or some such nonsense) and they eventually stamped the RIV form saying it had passed the inspection.
6) Stopped off at a registries office and registered the trailer. Another $130 or so for perpetual registration.

All in all it was not terribly painful, other than the costs were relatively high. Did get a very nice trailer in the process.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Duer to add to Daves number 6 because AB has no provincial sales tax he only had to pay for registration. In ON you will have to pay the provincial portion of the HST.

Next week I am bringing home a trailer from the US and will have to go through this process and also pay our 8% PST when I register it as well as the 5% GST at the border.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19’ Sold in 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Duer to add to Daves number 6 because AB has no provincial sales tax he only had to pay for registration. In ON you will have to pay the provincial portion of the HST.

Next week I am bringing home a trailer from the US and will have to go through this process and also pay our 8% PST when I register it as well as the 5% GST at the border.

Adrian
I purchased an Escape 15B in New Mexico in August 2017 and imported it back into Canada. Was a fairly straight forward process. Here are a few comments:
1) Before leaving Alberta, I obtained an "In transit" permit for the trailer. It was only valid from the Montana-Alberta border to my home near Edmonton. I put the permit in the rear window of the trailer in Wyoming where I had met the seller with the trailer, and took a chance that if stopped the police would not bother with it.
2) When leaving US to enter Canada with new trailer, the US customs was not at all interested in any details. I went into their office with my paperwork but they did not want to see a camper trailer. They said they were only interested if it had an engine and was self propelled.
3) Reported the purchase to Canada border services at the border. They asked a few questions. I showed them my documentation (for sale ad, bill of sale, transfer of title form, etc). They filled out a form for the RIV program and had me pay GST on the full purchase price of the trailer. You cannot proceed without paying.
4) Once home, I registered online into the RIV program https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx I paid the RIV fees (don't remember but was about $300?) and made an appointment to have the trailer inspected at Canadian Tire (who are certified RIV inspectors - )
5) Had to pay some small additional fees at Canadian tire for tire recycling (or some such nonsense) and they eventually stamped the RIV form saying it had passed the inspection.
6) Stopped off at a registries office and registered the trailer. Another $130 or so for perpetual registration.

Fellas,

Thanks for all the great tips and for sharing your experiences.
What a great group of people.
Cheers,