Improving furnace air flow - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Improving furnace air flow

I'm still grasping at straws trying to solve my intermittent furnace problem, but a number of others have mentioned problems with restricted airflow and it being sensitive to that. Two years ago I added a screen filter behind the air intake vent to protect the sail switch from cat hair. I have removed that, and in an effort to maximize air flow in case that will help I eliminated both the flexible dryer duct and the front grill.

The dryer duct was both corrugated and curved to allow for an offset between the output opening on the furnace and the round output louver on the grill. Using thin aluminum flashing and dryer vent tape I made a smooth straight vent tube. It fits snugly on the 5" output flange of the furnace, and I added a small block of wood at the same height and used one screw in the bottom at the front end to fasten it in place. Then I took a piece of 1/2" welded wire hardware cloth, painted it black, and hot glued it to the recessed lip on the back side of the wood frame that the original grill was attached to.

It's not quite as attractive as the original furnace grate, but will allow for much more air flow both in and out so I can live with that. Even if this doesn't cure my furnace issue it won't hurt - and I could always go back to the original setup at some point if I wanted to. Ordinarily it would bug me a little to see the output duct off center in the opening, but in this case I think I can live with it.

I'm back home in Texas now so I won't really know until next winter when we are in really cold weather, probably at altitude, whether this will be the magic fix...and I'll probably continue to try some other things in the meantime.
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace 1.jpg   Furnace 2.jpg   Furnace 3.jpg  
Old 05-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
That will for sure help with any restrictions in the outflow air.

With the flex duct in place I could hear the fan motor RPM change with it on, as compared to off
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:29 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Very nice work, I hope it sorts things for you.

Given the number of problems reported here, I consider myself lucky so far - one apparently successful sail switch replacement seems pretty mild by comparison. Mind you, I did say apparent...
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote