In Cabinet Lighting - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2014, 12:08 AM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
In Cabinet Lighting

Need to install lighting in 1 cabinet and the closet, prefer ones that come on when you open the door. Would appreciate it if anyone that has done this could let me know what you used for hardware, both for the lights and the switches you used for the overlay doors.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I had contemplated using some kind of door switch, but instead opted for mounted the switch on the door frame, inside the cabinet. This way they are only on when needed, and mostly because any switch I came up with had to be mounted in the opening, and would get in the way. We really don't mind switching it on as needed. Maybe there is some kind of motion sensor you could use that mounts inside?

For lighting I used strip LED lighting, which works great. It adheres to the cabinet framing member above the door, completely out of the way. As mentioned before, I gained a lot of brownie points from the wife installing them in all the cabinets.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I went with standard switches so I could leave the doors open with the lights off. In very cold or hot weather I wanted to be able to leave them open to keep stuff inside at the same temperature as the rest of the trailer.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Good point, we left the lowers open when we ran into some abnormal cold.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It could be a pain to wire, but to make door switches more practical the power to all interior cabinet lights could be supplied through one master switch, which would be left off during storage (so the cabinet doors could be left open) and off during the day (just to save power). When the master switch is on, the cabinet lights would still only come on when that cabinet's own door switch is triggered by opening the door.

Our Boler trailer has no lights in the cabinets, and although we just use flashlights, I would want built-in lights in an Escape. Our motorhome has a master switch for all the "basement" (outside access, under floor) storage compartments, and I would like door switches to avoid running the lights in closed compartments unnecessarily.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote