Inflatable Canoes, Etc. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Does one use air pumps to fill these or what to inflate them?
It came with a bicycle type pump that works well, but I bought their two-stage pump. The first stage is higher volume with low pressure, then once inflated it automatically flips into high pressure gear until fully pressurized. The call this a high pressure inflation of 10 psi. It really is solid, as you can jump up and down inside the canoe and it barely flexes.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:25 AM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
We have a Sea Eagle 385 Fast Track and I highly recommend it. It is extremely rugged , plenty of toom for 2 people and tracks extremely well. We can inflate it off the car battery and be in the water in 5 minutes. Easy for one person to handle or two. Takes up very little space in the back of my truck and no fighting to get it up and tied down. I will very go back to a hard kayak.
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:10 AM   #23

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Not a canoe, but I got in on the Kickstarter campgaign for a new "nesting" kayak called Pakayak. It should be here in March, about a month before the Escape. The Pakayak comes apart into 6 pieces that nest one inside each other and also comes with a backpack to carry it wherever you want to go. I believe it's 24" wide and about 39" "long" when dismantled. They had 4 of them in the back of an SUV. Apparently, it actually performs very well and goes together with patented clamps in under 5 minutes! Can't wait!
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #24

I used to do a bunch of kayaking, but now much prefer a canoe for various reasons. I find them way more comfortable with the range of motion they allow. They also allow a lot more cargo room, including room for a dog if desired, and I love carrying lots of gear. I find paddling a lot easier too, as most two person kayaks require you to paddle in perfect unison, or your paddles hit causing grief, at least that has been my experience.

One boat for the two of us plus Jasper is really what we want, we don't want to have separate boats.

Plus, we do a lot of rivers, so that played big into the choice, and the TC16 is good for Class III, which is the biggest rapids I run.

There are definitely lots of choices out there, and kinda like our trailers, we must make some kinda compromise to suit our individual preferences. The key is to be able to get out on the water if you wish.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #25

On this past trip, I put the canoe in the back seat of the truck with all the other paddling/fishing gear with the exception of the trolling motor which slide under the toolbox and out of the way quite nicely. The packed size is about 30"x38"x12", so it sits nice and low. It can be folded differently to be 20"x38"x18".

In the future, I plan to build a light box for it to stow it behind the Andersen Hitch, or maybe in a cargo box on the rear of the trailer if I mount my bikes on the pin box. I will not make the final desicion until after I have my trailer at hand, and figure lots of things out.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Interesting boat. How rigid are the sides? Does not look like there are any thwarts to stiffen it. Do you think that if you are sideways in a rapid that waves may want to collapse the sides of your canoe without the thwarts?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Interesting boat. How rigid are the sides? Does not look like there are any thwarts to stiffen it. Do you think that if you are sideways in a rapid that waves may want to collapse the sides of your canoe without the thwarts?
Dave, I never realized just how stiff that 10 psi would make the sides, but they are extremely firm. You can push out on the sides, maybe a couple inches, if you push out hard. Collapsing in is really not an issue, as the seat backs make that firm. If you watch videos of the canoe in white water, you will see that there is very little flex. Personally, I would not worry at all about collapse in rapids, though have yet to give it a go. Maybe a late year trip on the North Saskatchewan is in order.

I am not sure how much pressure inflatables usually use, but you do see rafts bending a bunch, but at 10 psi this canoe is rock solid. Like I mentioned earlier, you can jump up and down on the bottom when on land, and if feels very solid.

They use the same drop-stitch technology to make their inflatable SUPs, which need to be very rigid.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...Maybe a late year trip on the North Saskatchewan is in order. ...
I am paddling the N. Sask. River from the Forestry Trunk Road at Nordegg to Rocky Mountain House on the Labour Day Weekend. Maybe we will see you on the river?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 08-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #29

Quote:
I am paddling the N. Sask. River from the Forestry Trunk Road at Nordegg to Rocky Mountain House on the Labour Day Weekend. Maybe we will see you on the river?
Unfortunately we have a camping trip planned for that weekend, but the next one might work. We'll see though. That is the section we usually do, and did last May long, my first ever river solo trip, which went well, even through the bigger bumps along the way.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Unfortunately we have a camping trip planned for that weekend, but the next one might work. We'll see though. That is the section we usually do, and did last May long, my first ever river solo trip, which went well, even through the bigger bumps along the way.
I am paddling solo on the labour day weekend also, in a 13ft Caption. It's terribly slow on flat water, spins like a top when the wind comes up, and is very uncomfortable kneeling for 130km with your butt on a pedestal seat. But it is really fun paddling through all of the rapids. I will likely swap out a foam pedestal seat for a more conventional webbed canoe seat just for this trip. My knees and ankles would be very grateful.

We are paddling Horberg to Rocky Mountain House this Saturday also, just as a warm up daytrip. Water levels have been really high this week so am not quite sure what to expect. Guess we'll see.

Sorry for the thread drift. I really like the compactness of your new canoe and the ability to pack it in a small box when not being used. That really solves the dilemma of what to do with a canoe when towing a 5th wheel.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #31

Quote:
I am paddling solo on the labour day weekend also, in a 13ft Caption. It's terribly slow on flat water, spins like a top when the wind comes up, and is very uncomfortable kneeling for 130km with your butt on a pedestal seat. But it is really fun paddling through all of the rapids. I will likely swap out a foam pedestal seat for a more conventional webbed canoe seat just for this trip. My knees and ankles would be very grateful.

We are paddling Horberg to Rocky Mountain House this Saturday also, just as a warm up daytrip. Water levels have been really high this week so am not quite sure what to expect. Guess we'll see.

Sorry for the thread drift. I really like the compactness of your new canoe and the ability to pack it in a small box when not being used. That really solves the dilemma of what to do with a canoe when towing a 5th wheel.
I paddled an Esquif Veritage. It handled all the features very well, tracked kinda okay, but by the time I pulled out in Rocky, my wings were very tired. There is no resting on the flat stretches like you can when you have a partner. If it was a longer trip, I would have needed a rest day.

I find the river is fun at any water level. Extremely high it moves fast but smooths out a lot of the smaller features, though the larger ones get pumped up a bit.

No worries on the thread drift, it is still about paddling.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #32

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Quote:
I have heard of this brand, but know very little. Just did a quick look, and they seem to be well received. Did you buy locally?

I assume you use two one man boats. My first thought was to do something two man, but who knows, still at the thinking phase. I see they do have doubles though.

I may just take you up on a test run with one.

That looks like a nice inflatable, and especially nicely priced. Have you, or would you, use it on a river. A couple quick reviews I saw too said it was great for the price, but not the toughest option.

That kinda falls in line with what I have read. A very popular boat with hunters, and those wanting more flexibility than most rafts, yet are very stable, with lots of capacity.

In looking at their offerings, I wonder if the Super Lynx might be a better fit for me.

Super Lynx Inflatable Kayak | AIRE
The sevylor Tahiti is very sturdy...river use would work. We gave our Tahiti away to folks who live in CO and didn't have enough room to pack their kayaks. They do River and lake...and they love it. We now have a Sterns IK-95.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17B
Inflatable canoe

Hello good people.
Your post caught my attention. Check Inflatable Canoes | Gumotex inflatable boats
I own the Scout Standard model for five years. We've paddled rivers (class II), lakes and Pacific coast waters and have done two weeks long canoe wilderness trips - two adults, two kids and gear. I can say only good things about it. It's made of the same material as large rafts. It takes about 20 min to inflate and put it together. If you get high speed 12V pump that cuts assembly time in half. All other details on their web. They don't sell canoes models in N. America, although they do sell some other boats under brand name INNOVA . I brought mine from EU.
Cheers.
petomrazik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
I love my Feathercraft folding kayak built in Vancouver. It fits in a backpack and rides in the backseat when towing my Scamp 5er, when not towing I leave it put together to save time so I use it more often(spur of the moment) Just throw it in the back of the truck. I have gone away for 3 nights in it no problem. It is very stable,paddles and tracks well...a real kayak not an inflatable barge. No good for whitewater but otherwise super durable. The frame is like tent poles running fore to aft with nylon ribs, the hull is hypalon which is the same stuff sailboat dingys are made of...very durable and repairable too. They make 1 and 2 man boats and I think inflatables as well. A bit expensive but well made and will last for years.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #35

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Still enjoying my Oru kayak. bought the beach- plenty of room for the dog or fishing or carrying stuff very stable. Taking it to lake Cushman this weekend.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I bought one at REI thinking it was a great idea for a full sized, stowable camping take-along.The first shake down was a disaster. I got a mile or so out from shore and the da*n thing started leaking. By the time we made it back, it was like paddling a giant waterlogged banana.

Needless to say, it went back! Sticking with a bike. Flat tires arent nearly as death defying.

G
Old 09-07-2016, 01:02 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by petomrazik View Post
Hello good people.
Your post caught my attention. Check Inflatable Canoes | Gumotex inflatable boats
I own the Scout Standard model for five years. We've paddled rivers (class II), lakes and Pacific coast waters and have done two weeks long canoe wilderness trips - two adults, two kids and gear. I can say only good things about it. It's made of the same material as large rafts. It takes about 20 min to inflate and put it together. If you get high speed 12V pump that cuts assembly time in half. All other details on their web. They don't sell canoes models in N. America, although they do sell some other boats under brand name INNOVA . I brought mine from EU.
Cheers.

Mmmm I think that Ruby looks really good. I'm not into whitewater but am a water person. It almost kills me to pass a beautiful body of water and not be able to explore it.

I'll take a Ruby with an electric outboard please....

Tom
Old 09-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #38

Trailer: 17
Which one was that greggo? there are a number of different brands and models mentioned on this page. Thanks
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #39

Trailer: Pining after a 19 footer
Can yo stow a boat in the Escape 19?

We are looking at purchasing a 19 and we own 5 kayaks (various sizes, including 2 kids sized boats). How wide can you open the front window? I was thinking we might be able to squeeze a small kayak through it? Or am I dreaming? We haven't been to the dealership yet to take a close look at the units.
Reta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The front window does not open in the 19, in fact none of the Escapes made have a window big enough for a kayak. Lil Snoozy has a rear opening trailer, ideal for kayaks but I'm not sure they are still in business. You maybe limited to what you can carry on your tow vehicle.