Installing Soft Start in Dometic AC - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
When I picked my 21 up in Aug. I was told the new AC's are somewhat easier then older models. Not the 'Easystart' but the design is different to allow for easier starts.
If they are still using the Dometic Penguin II 11K BTU model, nothing has changed compared to earlier years - say 2014, 2015, etc. Dometic does sell their "soft start" kit as an option but afaik that is not included in the units they install at Escape. Perhaps something has changed.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #62

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If they are still using the Dometic Penguin II 11K BTU model, nothing has changed compared to earlier years - say 2014, 2015, etc. Dometic does sell their "soft start" kit as an option but afaik that is not included in the units they install at Escape. Perhaps something has changed.
I made it a point to ask about it and was told the new models were easier starting.

Mine will start fine with my Honda 2000. I have read here that some have problems with the 2000 gen and others don't.

Of course, that could be caused by things other than the AC.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #63

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Recently purchased a new Ryobi 2300i, thinking it would work well with the latest design AC on my 21’. The Ryobi even has slightly more stated output than Honda.The AC worked great when tested in my driveway (sea level). Further, I loved the iPhone Bluetooth interface and App. I felt great about my oh-so-smart purchase.

But then I took it camping in AZ, expecting to be one cool cucumber with my new setup. With 95 deg F outside and at 3k of elevation I decided it’s time to fire it up. It was at 87% max load for a short while, then the AC crashed. It kept overloading, kept crashing every few minutes... Bummer! Likely the elevation reduced its power output just enough to overload it.
I was able to return the Ryobi to Home Despot, and its now time to lick my wounds and buy a Honda 2200 and MicroAir kit. Lesson learned is that there is a lot of lesser quality generators out there. Ryobi-Cryobi! Bill
BilltheGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #64

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We were faced with the same problem, first bought a Yamaha 2200 and found it would not run our A.C. where we live in AZ at 4500 ft elevation. The micro air is $300+. We rented a 3 kW genset from Home Depot and it ran the genset with ease at 100°F. We then bought a 3 kW genset from Costco for under $400, and sold the Yamaha. The Costco genset has wheels and weighs 99 pounds, while the Yamaha was 70 pounds. The cost of the Yamaha plus the micro air was twice the price of the Costco gen set. Since there are 2 of us capable of picking up the Costco genset, it was a no brainer.

At orientation, our guide told us a 3 kWh genset would power the A.C. under all conditions. While this statement has been poo pooed by many on the forum. It keeps getting proven in the real world.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #65

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I wish sometimes that Escape would return back to the Coleman 9200 a/c. It would work off any 2000 watt generator and was more quiet than the 11,000 unit.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #66

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Been looking over Costco's generators and am intrigued by the Firman 2900. For price, db, (but not weight, but- it comes with wheels) and they claim it will run my Dometic 11,000 BTU ac so, it is very tempting. No $400 soft start install required? First I searched Costco for a "genset" -- no such animal there.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #67

Myron, the Firman 2900 genset aka generator is the one we have. It will surge to 3100 watts at startup and run at 2900 watts. We have had no problem at 4500 ft elev and 100°F with it.running our Dometic 11,000 BTU A.C.. It is fairly quiet, comes with 3 jets so you can set up the carburetor for your altitude. Yes, it is 99 pounds, but with us both we can handle it. We have run ours for 20 hours so far, works great. Have even used it to run an amp hungry start worm drive circular saw. From our past life as boater we called generators, genset.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #68

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Myron this is the one my buddy bought from Costco this spring, runs his 13,500 A/C unit (sob trailer) with no problems. Not as quiet as my Honda 2200 but only a third of the cost.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5243.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	42914Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5242.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	42913
Old 10-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #69

You boat guys do have your own unique jargon. I've read almost a dozen of Patrick O'Brian's epic nautical novels, despite always becoming totally lost reading his nautical jargon.
(...I would sooner understand how to find longitude at sea by the moons of Jupiter.)

Of course, nothing out there as quiet as the Honda. Thanks for those endorsements - I am liking what I read about the Firman. Now must decide when's the right time to set sail for it.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:28 PM   #70

Myron. Years ago i was reading a column in Latitude 38, out of San Francisco. The author was "Lee Helm". She said many of the sailing terms are for brevity. Such as "Furl the jib ", instead of "pull that line and roll up the triangular sail on the front of the boat". Or "let's jibe", instead of "i'm going to turn the wheel so the wind coming from the right back of the boat goes to the left side of he back of the boat". Etc. Secretly, we all learn the terms to have a private language.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #71

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Greetings,
I would also like your easy start installation information. Thanks.
Ray Monfore
2020 ETI 21C
605-661-5087

PS not sure of the Dometic a/c model number or BTUs
recray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #72

I have a thread posted, titled The Micro-Air Easy start. Scroll down, It's in problem solving.

Also, here's my U-tube posting: https://youtu.be/I9AmXfKwrjo
Old 08-09-2020, 12:07 PM   #73

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
I just installed a Micro Air soft starter. My trailer is a 2019 5.0 TA. The installation is easy, but a little different on newer air conditioners. Micro air has instructions on their website for most popular air conditioners, download it, print it, and follow along step by step. The current air conditioner used is a penguin II. After watching all the videos I could find I opened up the air conditioner, to my surprise it was slightly different than anything I had watched, there was no control board in the box? Back to the instructions. If you have no control board the blue wire is cut and reconnected in a 3 way butt joint with the black wire from the easy start. It really is easy. Good luck.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #74

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Great thread. Like the video; nice job. Thanks.
recray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #75

Trailer: Sprinter 2019
My contractor told me that these are tough on the solenoid and can cause them to wear out faster… is this accurate? I purchased the soft start rv for a dometic 2 hi capacity cooler.

Thanks!
Pretzvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:10 PM   #76

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzvader View Post
My contractor told me that these are tough on the solenoid and can cause them to wear out faster… is this accurate? I purchased the soft start rv for a dometic 2 hi capacity cooler.

Thanks!

If by "solenoid" your contractor is referring to the relay or contactor that energizes the compressor then I do not see how this is possible. In fact the soft start should be easier on the device that energizes the compressor. Your contractor may have the soft start confused with a hard start capacitor. The hard start cap will sometimes draw more amperage at start up and put a higher load on the contacts in the relay, but this is different than the soft start unit which will draw less current at start up and should reduce arcing at the contacts prolonging the life of the contactor.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote