Insulated window fogged, no choice but new window or glass? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
Insulated window fogged, no choice but new window or glass?

We have the insulated/double pane windows and in one window there's a permanent fog between the layers. I've spoken with Escape and Lippert (the window brand). Lippert only warranties their windows for 1 year (grumble, grumble) and says there is no repair for the seal, we must either replace the glass or the whole window, the service rep wasn't sure.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to defog in between the layers or to repair the seal instead of getting a new glass/window?
Old 05-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I assumed these were just 2 panes of glass glued to one another, did not think there was any space in between......Which window is bad?
Old 05-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
We too have a fogged window. I reported it to Lippert after 11 months from delivery date and I got a case number and they’re going to replace it. My dealer does not know how he’s going to fix it so he’s evaluating the process as we speak. As far as I know there is not a repair method to fix it other than replacement. I also have a stove recall issue with Dometic. Escape has been absolutely no help in either of these issues. They just quickly tell you to report it as a warranty issue and wash their hands of the problem and that really ticks me off that they would do that. Especially the oven it’s a safety hazard. Other than sending out the recall notice no help from Escape … zero zip zilch nada. I love my Escape but probably would not buy another one from them but assume any other similar unit would have problems too.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I assumed these were just 2 panes of glass glued to one another, did not think there was any space in between......Which window is bad?
One of the double windows over the side of our bed on the driver's side. Our windows stick badly after long periods of disuse (the heat?) so I imagine that despite our efforts to slowly, slowly turn them open when stuck, a seal might have ripped/loosened with the force?

It's pretty frustrating to consider replacing the whole thing. Honestly we'll just live with a foggy window I guess since there's no reasonable fix. I feel like a 1 year warranty on a window is pretty skimpy.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
We too have a fogged window. I reported it to Lippert after 11 months from delivery date and I got a case number and they’re going to replace it. My dealer does not know how he’s going to fix it so he’s evaluating the process as we speak. As far as I know there is not a repair method to fix it other than replacement. I also have a stove recall issue with Dometic. Escape has been absolutely no help in either of these issues. They just quickly tell you to report it as a warranty issue and wash their hands of the problem and that really ticks me off that they would do that. Especially the oven it’s a safety hazard. Other than sending out the recall notice no help from Escape … zero zip zilch nada. I love my Escape but probably would not buy another one from them but assume any other similar unit would have problems too.
I feel like it would be helpful to know ahead of time which items are not covered in the Escape warranty, but it wouldn't have changed our purchase decision. From what I understand there are problems anywhere you go 🤷*♀️
Old 05-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my first trailer a used 2012? 17B had a fogged window i had it replaced not very expensive my new trailer had a separated window bathroom covered under warranty really that's the only issues I've had except a few small maintenance issues- replaced my propane detector and a mother board on my used 17. I think these are very reliable well built trailers but yes there has been and will be some issues with some trailers. Many of the components made for RVs are not well made- stove top, refrigerator issues some window issues....but over all I've been happy which is why i bought my 5.0 after i sold my 17B. The recent stove issue is very scary (i have the oven so i don't have that stove top ) but that is very concerning. I would not want that in my trailer.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #7
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
We have the insulated/double pane windows and in one window there's a permanent fog between the layers. I've spoken with Escape and Lippert (the window brand). Lippert only warranties their windows for 1 year (grumble, grumble) and says there is no repair for the seal, we must either replace the glass or the whole window, the service rep wasn't sure.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to defog in between the layers or to repair the seal instead of getting a new glass/window?
If you are a DIY type, here is a link that shows how this guy remedied his foggy windows:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FFJFkwUmOKY5JW

Lots of other Youtube videos that show similar remedies.....if you decide to fix it yourself. Best of luck, Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We had a window fog up, passenger side , dinette on our 5.0. Luckily we were within the 1 year warranty window. I called Lippert and they told me to take it to a local repair dealer. I convinced them to ship me a window and I would replace it myself and save them some $. They agreed and I now have the new window. In the meantime, the old window has cleared so I’m holding on to the replacement for a time in the future when I will need to replace it.

I agree, that one year is too short for a window warranty period. On the other extreme, we have a lifetime warranty on our replacement windows in our home. We recently replaced a large picture window due to fogging at no cost for the window and only paid labor. This is how it should be done.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I yearly coat the rubber window gasket with this to maintain it...https://www.walmart.com/ip/303-Rubbe...4&gclsrc=3p.ds
Old 05-04-2021, 10:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I yearly coat the rubber window gasket with this to maintain it...https://www.walmart.com/ip/303-Rubbe...4&gclsrc=3p.ds
Thanks! We're so humid here I wouldn't have thought such a thing was necessary, and I still think it's that it stuck so badly, but I'll do it! Do you put it on anything else?
Old 05-04-2021, 10:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
If you are a DIY type, here is a link that shows how this guy remedied his foggy windows:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FFJFkwUmOKY5JW

Lots of other Youtube videos that show similar remedies.....if you decide to fix it yourself. Best of luck, Bea
Oh man I was game until about 22 seconds when he said you have to remove the whole window, separate the panes, and then reassemble. That's definitely a husband project for me and that's a no go lol. I was hoping for like poke a hole on a dry day, let it dehumidify, reseal, or something...thank you though! For someone VERY DIY that's a great option!
Old 05-05-2021, 09:34 AM   #12

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
window maintenance

I occasionally apply silicon grease to the rubber seals to keep them from sticking.
I guess I had better do my 5.0 as soon as I finish the other work.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote